Am I the only one who finds it odd that you can't dial a contact that sent you an SMS, from the SMS message?

On my 8703e (and other BB's), you can "respond" to an SMS (or rather, bring up the menu) and either send an email, return call, etc.

Pressing the "phone" button in an SMS also will dial the contact (on other models), but will only bring up the phone app on the Storm.

Holding the phone button down just brings up contacts. Double-tapping phone pastes the last number as previously discussed.

I'm stumped.
    02-04-09 08:41 AM
    you can, you just have to tap the field over the from area, then BB button, there is an option to call...

edit: only works for contacts though
    Last edited by LuciferRex; 02-04-09 at 08:53 AM.
    02-04-09 08:51 AM
    What I do is click the callback number and press the bb key. Then it gives me the option to email, call, sms, mms or I'm the SMS contact.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 08:56 AM
    To response #1:
    I've tried tapping the "from" area about a million times. Nothing. In SMS's, the message history is "stacked" and there is no real "from" like in an email. Unless I go to respond to the SMS, in which case I'd be doing extra work to get to calling the person.

To response #2:
    I don't appear to have that capability (there isn't a callback number listed).

On my BlackBerry 8703e, there is the option to call on BOTH the top (from: area) and Callback Number: area.

On the Storm, nothing.
    02-04-09 05:14 PM
    To response #2:
    I don't appear to have that capability (there isn't a callback number listed).
    Go the SMS of the contact you want to call and open it. At the very top of the screen it should say who the message is from, then the date and time and then finally the Callback Number. You can see an example of this if you get verizon texts sent to your storm.

02-04-09 07:49 PM
    you can, you just have to tap the field over the from area, then BB button, there is an option to call...

edit: only works for contacts though
    I have to agree that works foe me too
    02-04-09 08:18 PM
    I have the same problem, and I have tried tapping the from field, and it does not give me the option
    02-04-09 11:26 PM
    Go the SMS of the contact you want to call and open it. At the very top of the screen it should say who the message is from, then the date and time and then finally the Callback Number. You can see an example of this if you get verizon texts sent to your storm.

You guys need to be aware that if there's a number in the header of the SMS, it'll highlight Blue and you can hit Send or Menu/whatever to do whatever with that number.

However... if the number is assigned to a Contact in your Address Book, when you tap the name in the header of the SMS, the name WILL NOT highlight, but you can still hit Menu/Call or whatever. This is a bug... hopefully it'll be solved soon. It's been there since the inception of the Storm.
    02-04-09 11:31 PM
    However... if the number is assigned to a Contact in your Address Book, when you tap the name in the header of the SMS, the name WILL NOT highlight, but you can still hit Menu/Call or whatever. This is a bug... hopefully it'll be solved soon. It's been there since the inception of the Storm.
    Thanks - this might be it.

Although tapping multiple times may unselect it... which could have been my problem... Doh.

Is there any place to report OS bugs to RIM?
    02-05-09 08:09 AM
    You guys need to be aware that if there's a number in the header of the SMS, it'll highlight Blue and you can hit Send or Menu/whatever to do whatever with that number.

I am able to do it with media Messages, but I can't do it with regular tex message, does anybody know if this is normal?
    02-05-09 08:28 AM
    I am able to do it with media Messages, but I can't do it with regular text message, does anybody know if this is normal?
    Normal since it's probably the same issue (bug) I'm having.
    02-05-09 01:53 PM
    UPDATE:

It appears that ONLY Verizon contacts have a callback number. I just SMS'ed my Storm from another Verizon phone (which was set as "work" not "mobile"), and my Sprint BlackBerry (which CLEARLY has its number set as "callback number" in Options > SMS Text), and the "Callback Number" only shows for the Verizon-originated text message.

To the original topic, the date/time of the message is initially selected, INSTEAD of the contact. Hitting the phone button - even with contact "selected" (invisibly selected as it were) brings up the phone. Bug part 2.

So in summary, nearly the entire SMS system on the Storm is F-CKED up.
    02-05-09 05:49 PM
    UPDATE:

It appears that ONLY Verizon contacts have a callback number. I just SMS'ed my Storm from another Verizon phone (which was set as "work" not "mobile"), and my Sprint BlackBerry (which CLEARLY has its number set as "callback number" in Options > SMS Text), and the "Callback Number" only shows for the Verizon-originated text message.

To the original topic, the date/time of the message is initially selected, INSTEAD of the contact. Hitting the phone button - even with contact "selected" (invisibly selected as it were) brings up the phone. Bug part 2.

So in summary, nearly the entire SMS system on the Storm is F-CKED up.
    The only thing fracked up is you because I didn't understand a single thing you just posted in this post. You make no sense.... it's you. Read my post above... it's spot on.
    02-05-09 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD