04-23-11 12:34 PM
57 123
tools
    I'm looking for some help! I have one contact on my Storm that I can't edit of delete. I tried deleting Google Sync as I had read that it can cause this problem but no help. I tried overwriting my Device data with my Outlook data using DM but that contact seems stuck there. When I sync it doesn't show up in Outlook - only on the Storm. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    12-14-08 01:18 PM
    Umm...I'm confused. When you highlight the contact and push the bb key - it doesn't give you an option to delete the contact?
    12-14-08 01:48 PM
    Umm...I'm confused. When you highlight the contact and push the bb key - it doesn't give you an option to delete the contact?
    No, it does give me the option to delete but when I click on that option the contact stays there. Also, if I try to edit the contact and then save it I get the following message on my Storm (which comes up very quickly and then closes):

"Contact edited externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed."

I have no idea what that means. As far as I can tell, this is only occurring with one contact that is only on my Storm and not in Outlook.
    12-14-08 03:29 PM
    Have you pulled the battery lately? Sometimes a simple reset will do wonders.
    12-14-08 03:46 PM
    Correct. Try to delete the regular way, and if it doesn't delete the contact, pull the battery for 30 seconds and replace it. That should work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 04:07 PM
    I had tried the battery pull earlier but don't think I waited 30 seconds. It didn't fix it. I ended up doing a factory default reset from the security menu in options and then, restoring from DM. That took care of it. Very strange though. I found a reference to it on the forums on the BB site but they didn't have a solution there.

Thanks for you help!
    12-14-08 07:43 PM
    Did you check desktop manager for settings? i usually use Act with companion sync and have it set to ignore changes on device. just an idea
    There must be a setting someplace for this i have the same pop up message when editing..
    12-26-08 10:12 AM
    I found this. and i do have gpsed installed. it's gone now and i didn't get the message error.
    i figured out the problem was related to a third party application called GPSed. It has caused this problem with a few ppl. After removing the application from my BB, the problem disappeared. I informed the company about it and they are currently working on a fix.
    12-26-08 10:27 AM
    I have the exact same problem. I can't delete or edit two contacts.

I deleted all my records using the Blackberry Desktop Manager. All the records are deleted except for the two I can't change.

Any suggestions?

And I don't have any third party apps on my Storm

Thanks,
    LeonD
    01-06-09 10:39 AM
    I am having the same problem on an 8330
    01-20-09 03:00 AM
    The only way I could get rid of the corrupted records was to do a wipe on the device.

This was after I did a complete backup of the device using Blackberry's software on a Windows PC.

Once you do the wipe, do a restore and everything comes back except the bad records.

LeonD
    01-20-09 07:32 AM
    The only way I could get rid of the corrupted records was to do a wipe on the device.

Once you do the wipe, do a restore and everything comes back except the bad records.
    I've done this on my pearl three times now since upgrading to 4.50.77. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it - each time it's different contacts that get stuck.
    01-22-09 01:25 AM
    Are there no solutions?
    I have 20 contacts, which i can't delete.

sunny
    01-23-09 04:03 AM
    I'm having the same issue with trying to delete and I get this error when trying to edit:

"Contact Updated Externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed"
    01-23-09 02:58 PM
    Weird, I have never heard/read anything about this problem. I’m sure someone here will be able to help everyone with your problems.
    01-23-09 04:18 PM
    Try a battery pull and then delete. I believe that's what finally worked for me.
    01-23-09 10:06 PM
    @stansil
    That doesn't work.
    Same problem.
    sunny
    01-30-09 06:53 AM
    I just started running into this problem myself :-( 3 so far....I tried rewriting and pulling and no dice....i'd rather not wipe if at all possible...:-(
    02-05-09 01:37 AM
    Add me to the list! I use Missing Sync on a Mac. I've successfully deleted the contact (I only have one that I know of) from Address Book on the Mac, then synced... and the culprit remains on my Storm. Same error message you all have. I can neither edit or delete. I'm gonna try the 30 second battery pull. I"ll be watching for a solution here on the board.
    02-15-09 06:52 PM
    I'm having the same issue after installing PocketSync for Mac and attempting to sync my contacts. I haven't tried the batt pull for a full 30 seconds.

Can't delete anything. I was going to wipe and reload it all just to see what happens. I hope this works.
    03-03-09 03:47 PM
    battery pull that mofo
    03-03-09 03:48 PM
    Youuu!!!!!!!!!!
    03-03-09 03:48 PM
    i've got the battery out now... i'll give it 2 minutes to be sure and hopefully this gets cleared up.

Also, I've been trying to back it up earlier today hoping that I could have everything backed up just in case i need to wipe it out to resolve this issue. Thing is... the backup isn't backing up my contacts! it backs up calendar but not the contacts... things are getting wierd...
    03-03-09 04:31 PM
    DIDN'T WORK... left the batt out for 2 minutes still no go.

I'd really like to wipe it but I don't want to lose my contacts. I can't even back it up using DM 4.7.

help....
    03-03-09 04:37 PM
    I am having the same problem: "Contact updated externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed"
    04-07-09 11:44 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD