I'm still pursuing this question as my 30th day will come up soon. I've probably talked to over a dozen VZW customer service representative and they told me that they have never heard anything where I would get billed for the difference between the purchase price and the retail price of the phone if I cancel and don't return the phone. They have consistently said that if I dont return the phone, I will only get charged $175 ETF even if within 30 days as long as the phone is not returned.

So for folks who activated a VZW line to get a STORM knowing that they will cancel and keep the phone, I guess the "30 day" rule doesn't really apply anymore. You keep the phone and pay $175 either way.

I'm hoping by this time though, people who have done this may shed some light on this topic.
    12-26-08 12:35 PM
    no but i want to cancel service .. and keep the phone after 30 days ! ... why would u pay restocking fee?
    i work for verizon wireless, if you cancel your phone after 30 day worry free gaurantee, and dont return the phone, you will also pay the retail price of it 495 $ will be assessed ontop of your etf of 175.

thanks!
    12-26-08 01:08 PM
    i work for verizon wireless, if you cancel your phone after 30 day worry free gaurantee, and dont return the phone, you will also pay the retail price of it 495 $ will be assessed ontop of your etf of 175.

thanks!
    I don't see that in my contract. Assuming I haven't missed that part and I were hypothetically charged the unsubsidized phone price for a 31+ day return, an attempt to resolve this would be made with Verizon. When that fails rapidly as would be expected, an immediate dispute with my credit card issuer would be filed for any such charge beyond the ETF and service used.

Not that this is going to happen in my case as I'm satisfied with my Storm and corporate service rates. This thread just intrigues me for some reason.
    12-26-08 01:19 PM
    You are defenitly going to get charged the difference between retail and the discounted price...I work for Verizon...

The 175 is for breaking the contract...it has nothing to do with the subsidized cost of the phone. You cancelling under 6 months is why you will be charged the difference in the phone..

think about it...do you really think they would let you out of a 2 year agreement, AND let you keep a phone that you paid less than half of what it costs for only 175...that doesnt even cover the loss on the phone, let alone the fact that you bailed on a contract.

enjoy your tmobile coverage
    12-26-08 09:23 PM
    you can actually see this on websites...including best buy in the equipment agreements
    12-26-08 09:26 PM
    You are defenitly going to get charged the difference between retail and the discounted price...I work for Verizon...

The 175 is for breaking the contract...it has nothing to do with the subsidized cost of the phone. You cancelling under 6 months is why you will be charged the difference in the phone..

think about it...do you really think they would let you out of a 2 year agreement, AND let you keep a phone that you paid less than half of what it costs for only 175...that doesnt even cover the loss on the phone, let alone the fact that you bailed on a contract.

enjoy your tmobile coverage
    It's kind of hard to believe that for me. Since I've had canceled contracts twice. The first time was with AT&T. I paid the early cancellation fee and kept two phones. The second time was with Verizon one year ago. I pay the activation fee but I kept the phone and my account was active for only 4 months. Did the terms change with Verizon, so I should be aware of the change?
    12-26-08 09:32 PM
    here ya go then...

DEACTIVATING THIS PHONE OR DOWNGRADING FEATURES OR RATE PLAN MAY LEAD TO ADDITIONAL CHARGES
    Our goal is to provide you with the very best purchasing experience possible, including huge savings vs. buying in a retail store. Your phone purchase price was reduced by an Equipment Discount of $200 ($300 for PDA's/smart phones). By accepting this price reduction, you agreed to repay this discount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, you:
    Fail to pay your balance due to Verizon Wireless each month
    Disconnect this Verizon Wireless line of service
    Transfer this equipment to another Verizon Wireless line of service
    Change your Verizon Wireless service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate
    Deactivate the email/data feature if one was required at the point of purchase
    Transfer/port an existing phone number from another Verizon Wireless account if this is a new line of service
    Replace an existing account with Verizon Wireless with this account if this is a new line
    Return or exchange your phone and it is not in its original, new condition with no more than 30 minutes of usage
    If you break any of these contract provisions, except as a result of a documented service quality issue related to the carrier service, you authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of the Equipment Discount.
    If you have any questions, please see our website for further details or call us at:
    888-843-2485
    12-26-08 09:49 PM
    I've got several Locked and UNLOCKED Blackberry Storm 9530's.

Call 520-366-8699 or PM me if interested.
    12-30-08 12:45 AM
    I've got several Locked and UNLOCKED Blackberry Storm 9530's.

Call 520-366-8699 or PM me if interested.
    I think you're on your way to being banned and spammed.
    12-30-08 01:03 AM
    HELLO PEOPLE!

STORM PRICE = $599

Purchase Price From Anywhere = $199

ETF = $175

$199 + $175 <> $599!

verizon would be losing money! This debunks ETF covers subsidy price! Maybe for chaper phones they allowed this but when your talking about a $600 phone, it doesnt!

You are going to pay more than $175 if you cancel at 31 days!

And i hope you do get charged, your trying to scam verizon by signing a contract, renegging on that contract and ending better off then when you started that is a scam. YOU make MY phone bill HIGHER.

EDIT: thanks BEERJEFFDUBB! You jsut provided all the proof needed.
    Last edited by cray1000; 12-30-08 at 01:19 AM.
    12-30-08 01:15 AM
    :d:d:d:d:d:d
    12-30-08 10:04 PM
    When I worked for att after 30 days you pay the prorated phone bill plus the etf of 175 and that's all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 11:06 PM
    you pay the ETF and you pay the difference between the price you paid for the phone and the retail price...
    I am not sure you have to pay for the additional amount between what was paid and retail. I canceled a line and paid the etf on a curve and kept the phone.
    12-30-08 11:22 PM
    HELLO PEOPLE!

STORM PRICE = $599

Purchase Price From Anywhere = $199

ETF = $175

$199 + $175 <> $599!

verizon would be losing money! This debunks ETF covers subsidy price! Maybe for chaper phones they allowed this but when your talking about a $600 phone, it doesnt!

You are going to pay more than $175 if you cancel at 31 days!

And i hope you do get charged, your trying to scam verizon by signing a contract, renegging on that contract and ending better off then when you started that is a scam. YOU make MY phone bill HIGHER.

EDIT: thanks BEERJEFFDUBB! You jsut provided all the proof needed.
    You people are missing a key point here. Paying the $175 is not breaking a contract. Its fulfilling the contract. (I.e. you quit the service you pay the 175) Breaking it would be not paying the etf. I don't know how Bestbuy works, but if you buy a phone directly from a corporate store when you cancel you pay the etf and thats it. I did it with ATT on an iphone paid etf and kept my phone. I also did the same thing on 2 T-mobile blackberry pearls. I think the guys quote came from bestbuy's website which would only apply to phones bought from bestbuy.
    12-31-08 12:11 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD