I'm just curious if you can. I know that email and such will not work.

I have at&t and my bold worked on wifi without a BB data plan, and wanted to know if I got an unlocked storm 2 on ATT if I could use wifi without a BB data plan.

I would think so.
    Thanks for answering my stupid question!
    12-14-09 09:14 PM
    No, most carriers, att being among them, will not let you activate a smart phone with out having the data package on the acount.
    12-14-09 09:22 PM
    im a little confused then. I can make calls and everything on my storm right now, but when I connect to wifi the browser icon goes away. Will reloading the ATT service books get me what I need to get wifi working?
    12-14-09 09:25 PM
    any more answers?
    12-14-09 09:42 PM
    im a little confused then. I can make calls and everything on my storm right now, but when I connect to wifi the browser icon goes away. Will reloading the ATT service books get me what I need to get wifi working?
    good question, im not sure..... the problem with unlocking a device from one carrier, and using it on another, is that the service books for one carrier may not be compatable with the other carriers devices. However, that being said, wiffi is something that is part of the hardware of the device, and so shouldnt require ANY service books. But im not 100% on that either.
    12-15-09 07:55 PM
    just a heads up...

I got it to work. So for anyone wondering you can in fact use wifi on the storm 2 on the AT&T network without a bb data plan!
    12-15-09 09:01 PM
    I think you can without a problem. I know at&t does not require a data plan with blackberrys like verizon does so if you bought a unlocked one it should work.
    12-15-09 09:51 PM
    I think you can without a problem. I know at&t does not require a data plan with blackberrys like verizon does so if you bought a unlocked one it should work.
    I thought AT&T changed that last month where ALL smartphones need a dataplan.

By the way, what is the point of having a BB without BIS? That's just plain ********.
    12-15-09 09:59 PM
    music, videos, pda functions, internet over wifi, apps, better kb for texting.
    12-16-09 11:05 AM
    that's why i have one, all i miss is email...

I just dont want to pay the extra $30 or so per month for something I can liv without.

I love the design of the phone, the music/videos/ I find texting is better then the iphone.

Overall I like the storm better then the iphone
    12-16-09 11:23 AM
    Some people just like how soild the phones are and don't need data in them. I am not sure I would have data if I didn't need it but I have verizon so I have to have it.
    12-16-09 11:34 AM
    why does Verizon make you get a data plan. I don't understand it.

Im on AT&T and get pretty good coverage everywhere so im pretty happy, though I have thought about switching to Verizon.
    12-16-09 11:38 AM
    why does Verizon make you get a data plan. I don't understand it.

Im on AT&T and get pretty good coverage everywhere so im pretty happy, though I have thought about switching to Verizon.
    Verizon's concept on the blackberry is because it is an data device you need a data plan. The data plan and BIS email plan cost the same so there is no point in offering a data only plan. If you buy a new device with ATT you have to get a data plan as well. If you bring your own device onto the network(insert SIM card) they have no idea that you just did that. Verizon has better control over what devices are utilizing their network.
    12-16-09 12:23 PM
    just a heads up...

I got it to work. So for anyone wondering you can in fact use wifi on the storm 2 on the AT&T network without a bb data plan!
    hi, can you pls tell me how you got this worked?. I dont have data plan i want to use wifi, but browser icon is not there when Iclick blackberry button it provides list of running app and blackberry brower was one of those, I clicked the brower it say no service books conifgured?.
    12-28-09 04:30 PM
    Just to clarify, you will need Service Book records for WiFi to get it going. Otherwise you won't have the "Hotspot Browser" or anything else WiFi for that matter. However, these Service Book records are to my understanding hardcoded to the device and should not be affected by unlocking or AT&T.

@all I would try this: connect Storm2 to PC/Mac and remove all Service Book records via Desktop Manager. Battery pull your device and have a look at what Service Books you have loaded. Anything WiFi? Try browsing the Web.

By the way, what is the point of having a BB without BIS? That's just plain ********.
    Watch your mouth! Don't get me started!
    Last edited by shinkodachi; 12-28-09 at 04:39 PM.
    12-28-09 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD