Or will you always get that weird double letter keyboard in the vertical orientation?

Dont want that - I would want qwerty in both orientations..

IS that possible?

Thanks..
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 11-06-08 at 05:55 PM.
    11-06-08 05:53 PM
    Not gonna happen the acceleramoter (SP) determines what keyboard you get. Besides you couldn't jam a qwerty keyboard in vertical mode. Too small
    11-06-08 05:55 PM
    agreed .. wont happen .
    11-06-08 05:55 PM
    QWERTY when in horizontal position; SureType in vertical position.
    11-06-08 05:56 PM
    nope you will not! as the others have stated. I don't like thet double letter typing either lol!!
    11-06-08 06:00 PM
    I find typing using SureType on the Storm is a lot easier than QWERTY. The buttons are HUGE for SureType compared to QWETRY, i would say about four times larger; you can type with one hand too. I got used to it, and its great.

But to answer the OPs question. No, it is not possible to have QWERTY in Portrait mode.
    11-06-08 06:06 PM
    OK many thanks..

I guess there will be a lot of BB thumb typists going "eh?" And trying to learn it. I am mildly dyslexic and frankly could really do without being presented with an 'alternate' to qwerty depending on which way up I have my phone...

Here is another question..

Is the landscape keyboard available for all basic functions?

It would be bad if say, on the browser I was forced to use SureType for data entry..

qwerty all the way for me..

This has pushed me towards the Javelin (once again)

Its going to be exciting getting the user reviews coming in from Europe though,

Thanks BB comrades!
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 11-07-08 at 04:22 AM.
    11-07-08 04:20 AM
    11-07-08 04:26 AM
    I agree... This may be a show stopper for me too and could well be the Javelin for my next berry.
    Although maybe an eventual OS upgrade for the storm may change this??? Can't see how it's technically not possible to have qwerty in portrait and if the area for each sure type key is so huge, then why can't each huge area be split into two "not small" areas for qwerty input???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 04:29 AM
    But you will have the option in the portrait mode to have either Sure Type or Multi-Tap, you just have to adjust it in the settings.
    11-07-08 04:31 AM
    er... Multi Tap?

Do you mean qwerty?

I am getting confused now..

Oh are you referring to the predictive text option, on or off?
    11-07-08 07:12 AM
    Multi tap is the standard mob phone input where you have three letters to a numeric key...

But still not qwerty (!)

11-07-08 07:46 AM
    Multi-tap: you can opt to disable Sure-Type... the keyboard still has 2 letters per key -- for example one button will have the "t" and the "y" and you press once for the "t" or twice for the "y"

not sure why you would want to do that -- Sure-Type works great, even in my old 7130c
    11-07-08 08:06 AM
    Multi tap is the standard mob phone input where you have three letters to a numeric key...
    The HORROR!
    11-07-08 08:09 AM
    So I assume (not using it) that multi tap is still two letters, you have to hit the key twice etc on the storm?? So is sure type just a predictive ver of this then???

11-07-08 09:22 AM
    I made a post about this a week or so expressing my concnerns. They NEED to give us the option for QWERTY in portrait mode. It is an extremely simple fix in the OS to provide that as an option and there is absolutely no harm or downfall to doing so.

Also they NEED to give us option to turn off predictive text!!!!!!
    11-07-08 09:31 AM
    So I assume (not using it) that multi tap is still two letters, you have to hit the key twice etc on the storm?? So is sure type just a predictive ver of this then???
    Go here 101 Demonstrator for the BlackBerry suretype. for a nice explanation of SureType
    11-07-08 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD