All,

I have an unlocked Storm and I might want to try and exchange it. I haven't tried calling but will Verizon honor the warranty and exchange it or will they require me to have an account with them? I would think they still would honor the warranty but just seeing if anyone has tried to return an unlocked phone that they are using on a different carrier.

Thanks in advance.
    12-22-08 10:44 AM
    they should honor it. but they may ask questions that may lead them to not wanting to honor the exchange.
    12-22-08 10:54 AM
    They will most likely not honor it. 1. The first question they gonna ask: "what is your phone number?" They won't do anything for you until that is answered and can look it up. 2. They are gonna want to see your orignal reciept and the box with the UPC code to ensure you haven't mailed off the refund. But good luck and keep us posted.
    12-22-08 10:58 AM
    I have the box and receipt, I purchased the phone from a Verizon store and I called Verizon and had them unlock it. It was a pain and they did unlock it. I guess I will wait it out and see how my phone holds up. I will update if I call.

I do have a backup plan and that is to add the phone to my moms account and then just process the return that way. But would rather not have to jump through those hoops if not needed.

Thanks!
    12-22-08 11:01 AM
    If you did it through VZW it should be fine.
    12-22-08 11:16 AM
    i'm not sure if they will honor it or not but they might but just a question why do you want to exchange it?
    12-22-08 11:18 AM
    The screen click feels a bit off in one spot and the return button is making a noise. It looks loose.

Not deal breakers but if I can get a replacement and see the difference I just might.

I am not too concerned I knew the risk of being a early adopter and unlocking the phone. Like I said I could always put the phone on my moms account and run it like that.

I will see how it holds up.
    12-22-08 11:25 AM
    I called just to check and they said I have to go through RIM. I will contact them just to see what they say, but I have a feeling I will get the run around. I do think it's a bit silly since I do own the phone someone should honor the warranty.

Maybe it states somewhere that a warranty is null and void if the phone isnt activated.
    12-27-08 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD