Even with the storm being new to me I've quickly figured out that each phone (STORM) has a personality of its own.
    I have read many threats and seen that there are storms that do similar things that mine do, things that
    Mine doesn't do, and things that people are lying about there storms doing.
    Soooo.... Here is my question...... Can someone tell me what is the best OS. For my STORM, based on its little quirks?
    I am running .148 with no add on and its puking memory. But only resetting once or twice daily. At .75 I was
    Resetting 6-7 times a day. At VZW they said "NEW PHONE." I thought it was me and what I didn't know about storm not the phone.
    I still think I'm right! I went from .75 to .141 with v5 add on and it all seemed night and day. I now had glitches in the screen and slow downs when memory
    Got low. Instead of resets. But I did have memory creep back up. So any thoughts would b appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 12:20 PM
    So you have .148 running on your device, and no 3rd party apps whatsoever? Just need to clarify, because memory leaks come from apps, not the OS.
    05-23-09 12:25 PM
    Give the OS a day or two to settle in. It will probably get better with time. Be sure to use the Exit or Close command on all programs except the 5 that appear on the app switcher by default ( Browser, Messenger, Messages, Phone and Home).

.148 is the latest leak and will most likely have the least amount of issues as it's newer. That's not always the case, but a generality.
    05-23-09 12:29 PM
    Stop resetting twice daily. Fact, stop resetting unless you have issues. Don't watch the memory for 2-3 days and then see what's up.

05-23-09 12:39 PM
    Sorry I have AMAZE, SLACKER, BBOS START, CRACKBERRY START, BB APP WORLD,
    PERSONAL ***., WEATHER BUG, YOU MAIL, QUICK PULL, THEMES4BB START,
    BUZZ ME, and a Solitaire game. Yes I back out of all apps and close. With .141 I had
    34-37 mb now 24-27 mb. And only goes down never up like 141

05-23-09 12:44 PM
    I only reset because lag gets so bad (2-3mb) it takes 5 mins to move between apps

05-23-09 12:48 PM
    Give the OS a day or two to settle in. It will probably get better with time. Be sure to use the Exit or Close command on all programs except the 5 that appear on the app switcher by default ( Browser, Messenger, Messages, Phone and Home).

.148 is the latest leak and will most likely have the least amount of issues as it's newer. That's not always the case, but a generality.
    How does an OS "settle in"? Does it write new code to adapt to its environment or something? This turns everything I know about programming on its ear. Confused...
    Last edited by twester65; 05-23-09 at 12:56 PM. Reason: learned a new punctuation trick
    05-23-09 12:51 PM
    BUZZ ME, and a Solitaire game. Yes I back out of all apps and close. With .141 I had
    34-37 mb now 24-27 mb. And only goes down never up like 141

Both App World and Weather Bug have known memory issues. Try deleting them, and see if you notice an improvement. And, as Civic suggested, stop watching your memory so closely. I get as low as 7 without noticing a real lag ever since .122.
    05-23-09 12:53 PM
    How does an OS "settle in"? Does it write new code to adapt to its environment or something. This turns everything I know about programming on its ear. Confused...
    Seems it takes some time for the device to "get used to" a new OS. I can't explain it, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can.
    05-23-09 12:55 PM
    24-27 MB is pretty good. That's about where I'm at. I do have a slight memory leak, but it doesn't affect performance. I have QuickPull reset daily at 6:00 AM which keeps things running fairly smooth.

Watch out for themes - many cause problems. The fancier they are, the more the memory leaks. Keep it simple.
    05-23-09 12:55 PM
    How does an OS "settle in"? Does it write new code to adapt to its environment or something? This turns everything I know about programming on its ear. Confused...
    I think, it is more the hardware getting used to the instruction of the OS.
    05-23-09 01:05 PM
    I agree that that for some reason the OS. needs time to settle. I did see some glitches go away
    Over time after new os install. But if 148 is better why with exact same apps does my phone
    Run better with 141 os

05-23-09 01:06 PM
    There can be a break-in stage with an new OS because many times when you first execute a function/app or access hardware that hasn't been used yet, the OS may need to calculate and write configuration settings to a file etc...

However I think many people over dramatize it. It's usually done in a short period of time. Whenever I update an OS, I usually go poking through every folder/app/option, so it's done rather quickly.
    05-23-09 01:08 PM
    I am running .148 with no add on and its puking memory.
    BUZZ ME, and a Solitaire game.
    It helps to know what is going on in order to offer more meaningful advice. That's a collection of add ons to go with the no add ons.

I took weatherbug off mine because it does leak memory, and I would have to pay for the only thing I really wanted out of it, which was to get an actual alert for severe weather warnings. Learned here at CB how to do that without an app, so bye WeatherLeak. I never use AppWorld so I should delete that one as well. But as others have said, look at your add on apps to be your memory leaks, not the OS.

I don't understand the "OS settling in" stuff either. I loaded .148 and had a few issues the first day, Meterberry stopped updating it's icon, Opera mini hung so bad I had to do a for real battery pull, but those problems haven't re-occurred. Maybe as errors occur, settings get altered, preventing the errors in the future. Not really skynet.
    05-23-09 01:09 PM
    I agree that that for some reason the OS. needs time to settle. I did see some glitches go away
    Over time after new os install. But if 148 is better why with exact same apps does my phone
    Run better with 141 os. Also I noticed my SLACKER eats less mem. Than listening to music
    Loaded on my card. On 75 I would listen to music on my card, send and receive emails for
    Work and if I got a call my phone would reset. 141 no problem. 148 mem drops so low you
    Can't do anything while doing the same things.

05-23-09 01:15 PM
    snarfler, your avatar is the BEST!!!! you couldn't find the one from the blues episode where his eyes were red and he was snarling?

jason, the reason some apps don't run as well with .148 is that the new changes to the OS impact their performance, they need to be updated to address the changes in the OS, like quicklaunch for example. if/when VZW approves a new OS, expect to see improved versions of many apps come out to address some of the stuff...

if you have other questions, or wanna discuss this further, you can email me.
    05-23-09 01:51 PM
    Perhaps your themes and 3rd party apps have a conflict with the .148 OS that they didn't have with .141? Did you wipe your phone before upgrading to .148 and then reload your apps and themes? I know there's been a lot of discussion about wiping, but it seemed to make a difference on my phone. You can always wipe, reload .148, run it "as is" for a while and then add your apps and themes one at a time and see if one is sucking memory. Just my .02!

BTW....148 is working great for me. 3 days no batt pull and still 42mb!
    05-23-09 01:56 PM
    same here zelmo, i ditched the themes....i went to plazmic and took the default one and changed all the background images and loaded that as "my default"....no issues with it.
    05-23-09 02:07 PM
    Ive had two Storms now. 1st one since the release date which later was lost or stolen. Both have been good phones. After a pull, I'm at about 38 mb. After a few days, both would settle at about 17 to 20 mb and stay there. In the whole time I've had these phones, I've only "had to do" a battery pull maybe 2 or 3 times due to a freeze up. Maybe 2 or 3 spontaneous reboots also. All other times, it was after installing an app or such. If my phone required a battery pull even two or three times a day, I would take the phone back to Verizon as defective. FWIW, I'm running .109, with flycast, google maps, slacker, buzzme, and a few other apps.

Am I that lucky?? (or are people just too mesmerized by how high they can keep their memory levels??)
    05-23-09 04:09 PM
    I agree that that for some reason the OS. needs time to settle.
    I'm sorry, that's just a ridiculous 21st century wives tale. An OS is not an organic entity. Technology is not that advanced. The OS is what it is - it's core code is not changed over time while it rests in your pocket. Maybe you guys are confusing resetting hardware with adjustment to the code. That's why a batt pull is always advised after an upgrade or addition of software.

Your BB is NOT alive.
    05-23-09 04:21 PM
    Its alive I tell you!!! Like said in my original post. Some people have similar issues as me and
    Others don't seem to have any. But I do know if I find the right os and hybrid for my quirks
    (not me personally-the phone) I will no issues. Maybe I'm just being lazy and not trying
    All the different combos. I was hoping I could take the easy way out and just ask.
    thank you everyone for advice ill keep reading and observing and trying new things
    Until I find the right combo for my phone.
    When I do figure it out ill post all quirks and combination to get rid of them.

05-23-09 05:05 PM
    As mentioned by others, some of the apps you are running do seem to cause memory leaks. For me personally, it is my theme, but I like it so I continue using it, but I do not do a QuickPull unless the responsivness of the phone slows enough to notice. Maybe once a week at the most.

My memory usually hangs in the 30's, but has dropped as low as about 12.
    05-23-09 05:42 PM
    also, previous builds (.75 for example) had software flaws that prevented from displaying the accurate memory quantity in the "memory" or "status" screens, etc...each person's phone will react differently to low memory based on what apps are causing the memory to be used, etc...
    05-23-09 06:07 PM
    So far the media seems to be the worst drain. Ill listen to music for 3-4 hours and then that little winding clock will start to taunt me. I think the more I have fun the more that little clock wants to foil my diabolical schemes.

05-23-09 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD