I know wifi would be a good thing, but sorry folks it is a nono. I am travelling to Bulgaria in July so dont want to get stuck for roaming charge and there are loads of hotspots out there for wifi.
    but we knew about this when we ordered the phone didnt we?
    02-09-09 10:33 AM
    I, for one, would love WiFi, as I live in a brick fortress where signals go to die.
    Last edited by DrewCSchultz; 02-09-09 at 05:09 PM.
    02-09-09 10:43 AM
    bvlgari,

Yeah, we sure did. It wasn't a make or break deal for me, as it is for a lot of people from the looks of it. I am simply stating that it should be an option, and that BB was kind of dumb to not put it in when it is practically an industry standard with model PDA's and smart phones.

Oh well, nothing we can really do about it now unless someone who has a lot more resources then I do can come up with a stable 3rd party solution. There is always the Storm 2.0. Maybe they will take things like this into consideration for future touch screen blackberry devices... Or all blackberry devices...

That does suck though, you are going to get nailed with some heavy roaming fees in Bulgaria.
    02-09-09 10:43 AM
    I know wifi would be a good thing, but sorry folks it is a nono. I am travelling to Bulgaria in July so dont want to get stuck for roaming charge and there are loads of hotspots out there for wifi.
    but we knew about this when we ordered the phone didnt we?
    Just a thought, but have you looked into unlocking your Storm and purchasing a local (meaning Bulgarian) prepay GSM card. I'm not sure in Bulgaria but other forum members have mentioned this process in other parts of the globe to get around excessive roaming charges. It maybe worth looking into.
    02-09-09 10:58 AM
    Wifi would be a nice extra, but it was NOT a deal breaker for me.
    02-09-09 10:59 AM
    I agree with EVERYONE who posted here. 1. Wi-Fi isn't necessarily needed with the VZW service
    2. but it would be nice,
    3. and it was really stupid for VZW/RIM to not include it
    4. this question has been asked and answered many times on previous threads
    5. Some of the stuff said on here was REALLY funny, so it was worth reading anyways.
    02-09-09 11:16 AM
    Because wifi is faster than any 3G currently available in the U.S. maybe? I agree the omission is not a deal breaker but I for one loved being able to use it when it was available on my iPhone for browsing the internet. MUCH faster, especially when downloading emails or sending MMS messages (if the iPhone had MMS. Let's say emails with picture attachments). And as others have said, why not? If the 9520 can be made to work with Verizon i'm putting my 9530 on eBay.
    Last edited by ClintAustin; 02-09-09 at 11:48 AM.
    02-09-09 11:38 AM
    I agree...it is more of a hassel to utilize the WiFi than it is to just use the 1xEV

Plus chances are if you are in an area without Verizon coverage what makes you think WiFi would be available. I have taken Verizon coast to coast...through the rockies and up by Canada...always had service, no need for WiFi
    you obviously haven't been to south louisiana. i work in peoples houses and they will have home phone and internet service and no Verizon coverage.
    02-09-09 11:41 AM
    I appologize if this has been covered and I missed it, but is there any reason why a USB WiFi adaptor could not be plugged in and used? I realize that someone would have to either write an app to allow it to run or modify the OS but with all the bright people out there, is that an insurmountable obstacle?

Looking at this cross sample, there might be enough interest out there for some enterprising USB Wifi maker to write an app or OS mod.

Or am I letting my naivette show?
    02-09-09 11:58 AM
    I appologize if this has been covered and I missed it, but is there any reason why a USB WiFi adaptor could not be plugged in and used? I realize that someone would have to either write an app to allow it to run or modify the OS but with all the bright people out there, is that an insurmountable obstacle?

Looking at this cross sample, there might be enough interest out there for some enterprising USB Wifi maker to write an app or OS mod.

Or am I letting my naivette show?
    Appology accepted.......
    02-09-09 11:59 AM
    Having had WiFi on two previous Windows Mobile phones, I personally don't care to have Wi-Fi again. It was an abysmal battery drain. Literally took it from days two hours in productive finctionality.

Yeah, there are areas where Verizon network makes it slow and WiFi would help (my basement at home, for example), but I'd rather have the phone have battery than a little quicker Internet access.
    02-09-09 12:01 PM
    I think mostly because it would be a major pain in the heinie to carry an adapter around and deal with plugging it in. That's just my own personal take though.
    02-09-09 12:03 PM
    you obviously haven't been to south louisiana. i work in peoples houses and they will have home phone and internet service and no Verizon coverage.
    My experience exactly, except the that the location is in Northern New York. I don't work in peoples homes but I have family with no VZ at home. They have VZ a couple of miles in any direction around them, but not at home.
    02-09-09 12:04 PM
    Having had WiFi on two previous Windows Mobile phones, I personally don't care to have Wi-Fi again. It was an abysmal battery drain. Literally took it from days two hours in productive finctionality.

Yeah, there are areas where Verizon network makes it slow and WiFi would help (my basement at home, for example), but I'd rather have the phone have battery than a little quicker Internet access.
    Well were it included it would be an absolute necessity to be able to turn it off when not needed.

You guys should try living in North Dakota. Pain-FUL. Yet surprisingly decent wifi in the establishments i frequent.
    Last edited by ClintAustin; 02-09-09 at 12:18 PM.
    02-09-09 12:05 PM
    I think mostly because it would be a major pain in the heinie to carry an adapter around and deal with plugging it in. That's just my own personal take though.
    I'm with you there. I've already got several USB appendages sticking out of my laptop. No need to go there with my Storm. lol

But, if a hypothetical vendor made a back case cover with Wifi built in and an external MicroSD card slot. I'd consider it depending on how thick, etc.
    02-09-09 12:17 PM
    ................flies and sh%@ come to mind when discussing this topic....

the link below confirms WIFI was supposed to come with these phones, but got vitoed by VZW and voda........

so it seems they are conspiraring against the faithful customer.........us

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...for-pre-order/
    02-09-09 12:22 PM
    Well, Verizon leaves out wifi and some useful apps, Apple leaves out MMS/stereo bluetooth and includes a crappy camera. All of these omissions are inexplicable in any case. The consumer just can't have it all, it seems.
    02-09-09 12:29 PM
    ................flies and sh%@ come to mind when discussing this topic....

the link below confirms WIFI was supposed to come with these phones, but got vitoed by VZW and voda........

so it seems they are conspiraring against the faithful customer.........us

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...for-pre-order/

Dead Link, also was it a confirmation or supposition
    02-13-09 02:17 PM
    bvlgari,

Yeah, we sure did. It wasn't a make or break deal for me, as it is for a lot of people from the looks of it. I am simply stating that it should be an option, and that BB was kind of dumb to not put it in when it is practically an industry standard with model PDA's and smart phones.

Oh well, nothing we can really do about it now unless someone who has a lot more resources then I do can come up with a stable 3rd party solution. There is always the Storm 2.0. Maybe they will take things like this into consideration for future touch screen blackberry devices... Or all blackberry devices...

That does suck though, you are going to get nailed with some heavy roaming fees in Bulgaria.
    Hi, yes I already have a bgglobul card. i have a couple of houses in Bulgaria and am looking at keep ing my bike over their, not sure about the mapping tho. i work for Vodafone, and am going to try and get something sorted where i can pay a one off charge. The mappings not too bad, and theres nowhere near as many street roads as in the Uk to get lost down.

I wish it would have come with wifi, and dont think there isnt any real excuse to exclude it at all. There are always excusies to try and placate people though. Even Big Georgey Foreman blamed the hamburgers when he got his arse kicked by Ali, still love ya though george
    02-13-09 02:22 PM
    Why doesn't verizon include wifi in their bb's? There's been so many
    Complaints; it doesn't make sense why they don't add it, they can still
    Require a data package and they'll still get their $

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 02:37 PM
    My old XV6800 has WiFi and I never use it. Please note that public WiFi is not safe. I will never use any public WiFi. If I am at home, I would rather use my laptops (which have Verizon Wireless broadband aircards anyway).

02-13-09 02:59 PM
    for folks in Canada, rumor is the Rogers version of the Storm will have wi-fi when released. I've heard this from 2 different sources now.
    02-13-09 03:57 PM
    the msm7600 chip can do much more than rim is offering us. this is such ashame..........
    02-13-09 04:06 PM
    WIFI would be pretty good for people in countries that are charged excess fees for accessing Youtube or any form of video streaming (Australia) The excess charges are like 50c per meg or something like that.

Then again, you need to find a WIFI spot in Australia first, which isn't the easiest thing to do!
    02-13-09 05:27 PM
    Why doesn't verizon include wifi in their bb's? There's been so many
    Complaints; it doesn't make sense why they don't add it, they can still
    Require a data package and they'll still get their $

I'm just guessing here, but i think they do it because without VZ service, the absence of wifi makes it pretty much useless. The only thing that functions is the media player. No net, no email. No phone obviously. With an iphone, you can still use net and email without service (if wifi is present). Keeps people paying their bill on time at least. I honestly think it's to make the phone mostly useless without VZ (or Alltel) service. Dirty pool in any case.
    02-13-09 08:00 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD