02-14-09 03:19 PM
55 123
tools
    When (or should I say if) VZW drops an official new OS on us is adding WiFi capabilities an option that can be included over an OS update.

I'm aware of how unlikely this is, but I'm curious if it is even possible to add WiFi to a phone that did not come equipped with it.
    02-08-09 09:28 PM
    NO. There is NO hardware wifi chip in the storm 9500 or 9530.
    You will need to wait for the Rogers 9520 storm.
    02-08-09 09:30 PM
    True. Plus, with Verizons 3G coverage, theres no need for wifi
    02-08-09 09:31 PM
    Why does everyone want freaking wifi? You cant even have the phone without the blackberry service so why is wifi needed? I dont get it
    02-08-09 09:32 PM
    Why does everyone want freaking wifi? You cant even have the phone without the blackberry service so why is wifi needed? I dont get it
    I agree...it is more of a hassel to utilize the WiFi than it is to just use the 1xEV

Plus chances are if you are in an area without Verizon coverage what makes you think WiFi would be available. I have taken Verizon coast to coast...through the rockies and up by Canada...always had service, no need for WiFi
    Last edited by BBartist; 02-08-09 at 09:36 PM.
    02-08-09 09:34 PM
    NO. There is NO hardware wifi chip in the storm 9500 or 9530.
    You will need to wait for the Rogers 9520 storm.
    How do you know there are no WiFi? Because someone open the device and didn't found an additional chipset? Likes on the BB Bold? Looking at the QUALCOMM chipset specs the 95XX not just support WiFi capabilities, but NAM 3G as well.

http://www.qctconnect.com/download_l...00_chipset.pdf

Maybe we are missing some.
    Last edited by xattica; 02-08-09 at 09:53 PM.
    02-08-09 09:48 PM
    why do people keep asking? I thought this was squashed before launch.
    02-08-09 09:54 PM
    How do you know there are no WiFi? Because someone open the device and didn't found an additional chipset? Likes on the BB Bold? Looking at the QUALCOMM chipset specs the 95XX not just support WiFi capabilities, but NAM 3G as well.

http://www.qctconnect.com/download_l...00_chipset.pdf

Maybe we are missing some.
    Not another one of these posts. What you are missing is just because the chipset supports wifi doesn't mean the phone *has* the components for wifi. No one has confirmed any wifi circuitry/antenna in the 9530/9500, and it's not in any of the photos from the FCC docs.

So again, no one is 100% sure, but all evidence to date (disassembly, photos) points to no wifi components.

Just because you wish it doesn't make it true.
    02-08-09 09:58 PM
    Wifi is for poor people

I stand by this claim, because I have YET to find a wifi hotspot that my network isn;t working in.

and save me the one in a hundred thousand
    "well I work in the mailroom sub level 45 and I can't get teh network so it would be nice"
    crap, that means you are poor....so I stand by statment #1
    02-08-09 10:09 PM
    I'm glad I'm not the only one asking why...
    it makes no sense to me.
    02-08-09 10:15 PM
    Wifi is for poor people

I stand by this claim, because I have YET to find a wifi hotspot that my network isn;t working in.

and save me the one in a hundred thousand
    "well I work in the mailroom sub level 45 and I can't get teh network so it would be nice"
    crap, that means you are poor....so I stand by statment #1
    ummm.. i've wasted my time reading this post 3 times, and it still makes absolutely NO SENSE to me.
    02-08-09 10:17 PM
    Because there is a whole wide world out there beyond the USA where unlimited data plans don't exist and Wifi is more useful and more available than 3G?
    02-08-09 10:24 PM
    Because there is a whole wide world out there beyond the USA where unlimited data plans don't exist and Wifi is more useful and more available than 3G?
    +1, although i love my storm and could care less for wifi, it is indeed useful at times. and sometimes i think "Why Not?" just seems like a stupid omission on VZW/VODAPHONE's part for a smartphone of this caliber
    02-08-09 10:30 PM
    No OS can just magically add Wi-Fi to the device. Wi-Fi is built into the phone itself. Neither the 9530 nor the 9500 have Wi-Fi. The only Storm that will have Wi-Fi that we know of right now is the 9520 for Rogers.
    02-08-09 10:32 PM
    Typically World Travelers don't use Verizon or the 3G network. There is much more worldwide support for the other networks. Therefore Wifi is useless for Verizon or Vodafone.
    02-08-09 10:34 PM
    WiFi is not enough to make or break the Storm.
    02-08-09 11:45 PM
    great thread...i laughed 15 times.
    02-09-09 12:26 AM
    I was wondering if a Spectec MicroSD Wifi card would work. They're at Expansys soon. I don't know if they would work, i.e. software support. Any ideas or someone tried one already?
    expansys.com/p.aspx?i=140798
    Last edited by chris_toshiba; 02-09-09 at 03:21 AM.
    02-09-09 03:19 AM
    When (or should I say if) VZW drops an official new OS on us is adding WiFi capabilities an option that can be included over an OS update.

I'm aware of how unlikely this is, but I'm curious if it is even possible to add WiFi to a phone that did not come equipped with it.
    I, for one, hope Wi-Fi is added. It might make searching on CB faster:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/953...ssible-152421/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wifi-add-storm-151287/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...lities-145289/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/storm-wifi-147324/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wifi-storm-145251/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/95...e-wifi-141635/
    02-09-09 04:56 AM
    i skipped to the end of this post after like the 12th post. i agree i dont need wi-fi and i dont care if i get it or not, but I DONT have service everywhere especially at my house. I my friend, am in the mountains of New England. I do however have a wireless router, that a wi-fi phone would love to come in contact with so i could download things on my phone, while i am at home (the most convient place for me obviously) That would be a reason why I would like to have wi-fi, so again i am not making post's about it, but i also dont think you should bash the op for wanting it.
    02-09-09 08:39 AM
    it sucks wifi can't be added, but it's definitely not a necessity. i connect to the internet FAST, fast enough for me anyways haha.
    02-09-09 09:04 AM
    Wifi would be useful for data for me since the building where I work has poor signal strength.
    02-09-09 09:30 AM
    Wow, there is some pretty heavy wifi trash talk going on. Personally I can see why wifi would be nice, frankly it is one of the only things that actually bothers me about the Storm

Someone just asked "Why does someone want wifi?"

The simple answer to that is if you have low, or no signal (it happens, believe it or not...) You can be in a location that has a wireless access point, but you get terrible reception in that place. It is also my person belief that if you have a device that is internet capable you should also have complete control where you are getting that internet from.

Not all of us are poor, I have an unlimited data plan but when I am in a location that has a terrible signal, but can get a really good wireless signal from a router I would like to use that. It seems pretty rational to me.
    02-09-09 09:35 AM
    Why does everyone want freaking wifi?
    People (such as myself) would like wifi on their phone because we get poor signal strength in our homes. I dont know about you but for me it sucks having web pages fail to load due to poor signal.
    02-09-09 10:19 AM
    I was wondering if a Spectec MicroSD Wifi card would work. They're at Expansys soon. I don't know if they would work, i.e. software support. Any ideas or someone tried one already?
    expansys.com/p.aspx?i=140798
    I had the same question. The concept of these Wifi devices has been on the market for some time. One of my previous phones was a Treo 700wx and since it was a Windows Mobile device it could use a Wifi/SD product.

I've read across the myriad of other threads on this topic and could tell that there are at least 3 issues with this type of device on the Storm. First, there are no RIM drivers for MicroSD devices other than for memory. Second, these MicroSD Wifi devices are physically larger then a standard MicroSD due to the antenna built into the Sim and it and may not fit in the internal bay, though I think it would fit. Third, the MicroSD port on your Storm is behind the metal case cover. This will/may block Wifi reception. Non of these issues seem too impossible to solve but all exist if not more then I cite.

Personally, I would hope manufacturers like the one you mention come out with a workaround for the lack of Wifi on the 9530. Especially since it was mentioned in this thread that there is processor support for Wifi, just no Wifi hardware. I personally experience locations with bad 3G and could use Wifi.
    02-09-09 10:19 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD