Since the holiday return date is Jan 15 can we return it a week before that and state that this model is buggy and can't be fixed even with OS updates and that I want a brand new Storm to exchange with. Will this be possible?
    11-21-08 09:54 PM
    Since the holiday return date is Jan 15 can we return it a week before that and state that this model is buggy and can't be fixed even with OS updates and that I want a brand new Storm to exchange with. Will this be possible?
    I don't see why you can't. If not, than just return it and go back the next day for a new one.
    11-21-08 09:56 PM
    If you're using your 30day return to get the same phone again they said there will be a 35$ fee. That's what I was told atleast.
    11-21-08 09:58 PM
    Why would you wanna do this when there will be over-the-air software updates the second week of Dec?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 10:02 PM
    Why? RIM isn't changing the hardware so the only difference between a new Storm and the one you already have will be the OS. And that can/will be updated OTA. So essentially you will have the same OS & same device as what is new. You won't gain anything by swapping yours with a new device if you really are able to get the OS to update.

If you can't update the OS then that would be another issue & you could return it.
    11-21-08 10:04 PM
    you wouldnt have to pay a 35.00 restocking fee if you were to exchange the phone for the same type. only if you wanted to go to a different type of phone. problem is they probably wont exchange the phone for another new one if its a software related issue. they would require that to be up to date first and see if the problem still exists. not to mention its gonna be pretty tough to find a store thats going to have a replacement. Oh, and i dont think the extended return date has started yet. that normally starts around black friday. ill have to check on that at work tomorrow though to make sure.
    11-21-08 10:05 PM
    as long as ur phone is under warranty u can exchange it as many times as u like if u have a valid reason.

ex: my voyager would just restart for no reason, i exchanged it 4 times in the year i had it with now problems (3 refurbs, 1 new)

ps. i LOVE MY STORM
    11-21-08 10:06 PM
    Why would you wanna do this when there will be over-the-air software updates the second week of Dec?

Is there proof of the update being released the second week of December or is it just another assumption?
    11-21-08 10:10 PM
    after the 30 day is up then your going to get a refurbished phone that will be shipped to you in most cases. a lot of stores dont carry many pda replacement devices. and they will only replace the device if they can duplicate the issue. atleast the decent techs do.
    11-21-08 10:11 PM
    Oh, and i dont think the extended return date has started yet. that normally starts around black friday. ill have to check on that at work tomorrow though to make sure.
    It has started. Bottom of my receipt goes through the normal 30 day return policy. Then it ends with:
    All purchases made between November 16 and December 15, 2008 my be returned or exchanged through January 15, 2009.

It goes on to state all-other provisions of the return and test drive policies still apply.

It still doesn't make sense for the OP to return a device claiming the OS doesn't update when it does. He will just be wasting his time having to wipe out the old device and set up a new one. In the end he will have the same device hardware and same OS since OTA will happen as soon as its available.

In fact some devices sitting in the stores in January may have last been updated weeks earlier when they were boxed. So the OP's Storm may be more up to date than a new device. The new Storm may need to perform the same update the OP's old device did weeks earlier.
    Last edited by verizontroll; 11-21-08 at 10:23 PM.
    11-21-08 10:20 PM
    yeah once the phones are shipped to the stores they are no longer upgraded. we do have very few instances where we have updated phones off the shelf but i doubt this will be one of those. so pretty much exchanging your device will leave you with the same issue... that being said if you say its a software problem there gonna hesitate giving you another one because it wont fix your problem.
    11-21-08 10:29 PM
    I was asking because from what I have heard not all phones are the same. Some report the edges are easier to push down while some say it is very hard, some say the call quality is great while mine has distortion on max volume. stuff like that. What I'm trying to say is if all the phones aren't 100% exactly alike then there is a reason for me to take it back and exchange.
    11-21-08 10:44 PM
    Is there proof of the update being released the second week of December or is it just another assumption?
    Poolshark, there is no proof really, but I work in the industry, and this is what is scheduled.

Verizontroll states good info about the software. As far as the software goes a new phone is not really going to do anything.

As for the concern of phones having different characteristics, I have not noticed this as I have not inspected them closely, or tried each of them out that thoroughly. I will try to pay attention to that at work tomorrow when we are selling through our second shipment.

11-21-08 11:01 PM
    I was asking because from what I have heard not all phones are the same. Some report the edges are easier to push down while some say it is very hard, some say the call quality is great while mine has distortion on max volume. stuff like that. What I'm trying to say is if all the phones aren't 100% exactly alike then there is a reason for me to take it back and exchange.
    there not gonna let you keep switching out phones because you "think" something should sound better or work better then it does.if its not something that the techs can replicate or determine is an issue they are going to have you stay with that phone. You cant just go into the store and be like " my friend has this phone and he had this problem and i dont want to have the same problem so i want a new phone". Like i said if you have a problem with your phone see a tech at a store and they will determine if the phone should be replaced or not. If they decide to replace the devise be prepared to have it shipped to you and not given to you in the store.
    11-22-08 10:42 AM
    What you are reporting here is hardware related, not software related as you first mentioned.

Some of these reports just might be the perception of different people. One guy thinks his phone is easier to click in the middle. Another guy thinks the edges are easier to click. That doesn't necessarily mean the two phones are any different. Just the perception of the two people may be different.

Unless there is one person that you trust their opinion and he tested many phones back to back then I wouldn't read too much into a couple separate, conflicting reports.

If you are still concerned go into the store with your phone. Try every demo model back to back with trying the same thing on your phone. If your phone is different than all the demo models then there may be an issue. Defects are low enough I'd bet you will have similar experiences with them all.
    Last edited by verizontroll; 11-22-08 at 10:55 AM.
    11-22-08 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD