It's also got a 600mhz dual core processor whereas the storm only has a 400 or so mhz dual core. That little annoying loading icon which appears in the middle of the screen when the storm struggles to keep up with google maps, or even just fast screen transitions, will be less common.
    It cannot be said enough: Processor clock speed is NOT the end all be all of performance. Take a look at how AMD's Athlon line of CPUs spanked the Pentium 4 up to 400-500MHz faster. You have to take into account things like the amount of data processed per clock cycle. If I have a 250MHz CPU that can process two bits of data per clock cycle, it's performance would be roughly the same as a 500MHz processor that can only do one bit of data per clock cycle. It's not a direct 1:1 relationship, but that's the basic idea.

I'm also reasonably sure that the Storm's CPU is NOT dual core, unless you count an integrated GPU. Mobile devices don't need dual core chips. That extra core would just be an unnecessary drain on battery power.

If it has 256MB of app memory, that would make it an interesting device. And while I agree with Civic that it'll never touch the Storm's screen size... When you have to input text, and the keyboard takes up half the screen, that argument becomes largely moot. In situations where there is no keyboard, it's very true.

I doubt the Niagara will "top" the Storm, it will just appeal to a different set of people.
    03-15-09 01:35 PM
    This is the storms replacement. Since rim can't fix the storm there dropping it.... RIP STORM.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    is there any shred of truth to this at all? i have a hard time believing you here.

as for the original post, i remember reading one of the RIM guys saying it's the first "true next gen blackberry" or words to that effect. so there's something from the horses mouth about confidence in this phone, though slighting the storm at the same time. (come to think of it, i probably read that on CB)
    03-15-09 01:50 PM
    Well, Im thinking its Verizon's answer to the Bold.
    03-15-09 02:04 PM
    Saw the pics upfront on the home page.

But I did a search and haven't found any really good info on what all the buzz is about it? What's it gonna have that makes it cooler or better than a Storm? Every thread I found and read seemed to presuppose that everyone already knows about it... Guess I've been living under a rock or something but I'm clueless about it.
    Its mot neccisarily better since better is all a matter of opinion.... It will pro ably be faster
    and more efficient which could constitute for "better" ....... Its just the CDMA version of the Bold with a few improevents most likely.......

Its al a matter of opinion.

03-15-09 02:10 PM
    It will be better simply because it is a true Blackberry... where as the Storm is not. It will be faster, more reliable and overall more stable than the Storm.

It will be the phone all Blackberry business users will upgrade to, as opposed to the phone all kiddies buy in hopes of getting an "iphone killer".
    03-15-09 02:14 PM
    With all these new phones coming out by rim, I feel like I'm ( Storm owner) being neglected, like I was the ugly stepchild or something...When will they show the Storm some love man?!? When?!
    03-15-09 02:20 PM
    It will be better simply because it is a true Blackberry... where as the Storm is not. It will be faster, more reliable and overall more stable than the Storm.

It will be the phone all Blackberry business users will upgrade to, as opposed to the phone all kiddies buy in hopes of getting an "iphone killer".

this makes me sad
    03-15-09 02:51 PM
    With all these new phones coming out by rim, I feel like I'm ( Storm owner) being neglected, like I was the ugly stepchild or something...When will they show the Storm some love man?!? When?!
    The Storm definately isnt the ugly stepchild its the good looking kid with no brain....... (comparatively of course)
    03-15-09 04:03 PM
    I don't know why a lot of you are insisting that it'll be faster. Chances are fairly good that it'll have the same Qualcomm chipset the Storm has in it. It's supposed to have the same world capabilities (same radio frequencies) and the chipset in the Storm is also the latest (sort of) that Qualcomm makes. All the control capabilities (even wifi) are built into the 7600 series chipsets.

If this is the case, the Niagra will only be faster because it no longer needs to drive a bigger screen and digitizer input pickup, all the other stuff will be the same. Of course it'll also probably benefit from good time development on it's OS since chances are good it'll be 4.7.1.x based.
    03-15-09 04:08 PM
    I don't know why a lot of you are insisting that it'll be faster. Chances are fairly good that it'll have the same Qualcomm chipset the Storm has in it. It's supposed to have the same world capabilities (same radio frequencies) and the chipset in the Storm is also the latest (sort of) that Qualcomm makes. All the control capabilities (even wifi) are built into the 7600 series chipsets.

If this is the case, the Niagra will only be faster because it no longer needs to drive a bigger screen and digitizer input pickup, all the other stuff will be the same. Of course it'll also probably benefit from good time development on it's OS since chances are good it'll be 4.7.1.x based.
    But it is supposed to be the CDMA version of the Bold which (i thought) meant it would be faster than the storm

(if im wrong my bad)
    03-15-09 04:11 PM
    But it is supposed to be the CDMA version of the Bold which (i thought) meant it would be faster than the storm

(if im wrong my bad)
    Yeah, unfortunately, unless they move to a Snapdragon platform (which I don't believe does CDMA communications), they are stuck with going the MSMxxxx route for the chipsets/processors (integrated). Due to that, they are currently somewhat limited to the 528MHz limit (that of the MSM7600).
    03-15-09 04:17 PM
    I'm also reasonably sure that the Storm's CPU is NOT dual core, unless you count an integrated GPU. Mobile devices don't need dual core chips. That extra core would just be an unnecessary drain on battery power.
    Yes and no. It's not traditional dual-core (as in PC terms), but it's still dual core....

Integrated 400 MHz ARM11� applications
    processor and 274 MHz ARM9� microprocessor
    deliver accelerated applications processing and
    simultaneous modem processing; the dual-core
    implementation provides hardware-based
    security domains
    03-15-09 04:19 PM
    It won't

Unless you need hardware keyboard

03-15-09 05:14 PM
    It won't

Unless you need hardware keyboard

Testers who have the phone have already said it will be much better than the Storm.

Sorry to burst your bubble... but a non-touchscreen device will be better than your brick.
    03-15-09 05:34 PM
    Testers who have the phone have already said it will be much better than the Storm.

Sorry to burst your bubble... but a non-touchscreen device will be better than your brick.
    I find it quite odd all the negative rants seem to be coming from NON-STORM users. That would be like me coming to your side of the fence and saying "your phone sucks because of <insert any lame reason here>"

I came from a Treo. I happen to love the Storm. I do not need a full keyboard- and I do consider myself a power user. I travel a lot- and this phone has helped me out greatly. In my opinion it's perspective of the person needing the phone. As a person who is addicted to gadgets, there will always be a "greener grass" over on the other side and the bridge is called "time."

So- by saying "testers have said"- well That's a very vague statement. It would be nice to have a source of this statement- so we all can see for ourselves.

And calling the phone a brick is hardly far from what I have. I have a smart phone that runs circles around my wife's iPhone (tried it- it can't do what i need it to do) It has more brute power than my old Treo and it's nice and compact.

I think the niagra is a very nice looking phone- it's just not for me- and you will never hear me slamming it.

If you want to really be sorry for bursting someone's bubble- be a little more objective with your rant- because without evidence to back up a subective statement -that's all it is- a rant.
    03-15-09 05:48 PM
    Thread WINNAR (above)!

The trackball and keyboard do nothing for me after using my wifes curve. I find the touchscreen navigates the menus much faster than the trackball and I have no problem with the keyboard in portrait mode. I will agree the landscape keyboard is useless (I have huge hands!) The phone has been nearly flawless for me and only froze once in three months. I think once they get the OS right it will really shine.

These "hybrid" blackberrys added all the crap I didn't like about blackberry phones to the storm. I just don't get it?
    03-15-09 07:35 PM
    I'm kind of blown that all the Storm-hating is done by Curve owners. I would have thought that comes mostly from the fruity boys. Anyways we BlackBerry lovers should unite and be excited for this new device, not bash on one another.
    Last edited by vyrus; 03-15-09 at 07:49 PM.
    03-15-09 07:44 PM
    I find it quite odd all the negative rants seem to be coming from NON-STORM users. That would be like me coming to your side of the fence and saying "your phone sucks because of <insert any lame reason here>"
    Pay no attention to yet another troll that has made a nest here.

You are quite right in your general point though. No phone will appeal to everyone, and thus it follows the Storm isn't for everyone. Some of us are mature enough to rise above this, and others haven't quite graduated from middle school mentally. Sure, I use the term Jesus Phone for Apple's product, but it's a dig at the people who own one, and the giant production they have to make out of EVERYTHING about the bloody thing. If people are happy with it, and can refrain from make a giant @ss of themselves when using it, great.

I know some people seem to think that their cell phone will make up for what they're lacking physically, so let me just sort of adapt a saying from the late George Carlin: You don't get laid because you own a specific cell phone, okay?! If you're a bit lacking below the belt, or just untalented in bed, owning a specific cell phone will not change either of these things. It also won't make you any more or less gay (in the sense of your attraction to members of the same sex). What people tend to find attractive is confidence, and you don't exactly exude confidence when you need to constantly berate others. Sometimes by trying to draw attention away from something, you only succeed in bringing it to people's attention. I know one of my first thoughts, when people are always trying to put someone/thing else down is, "what are they trying to hide?" What don't they want me to see?

It'd be nice if the trolls of the world could just accept that it's not just the size of your member, and if you're crap in bed you can (probably) learn to be better if willing to put in the effort... Then they wouldn't need to clutter up discussions like this one, and I wouldn't need to border on hypocrisy with posts like this one.
    03-15-09 09:28 PM
    I know a lot of people love a great big touch screen and I'm really happy to read positive Storm reviews around here. I was largely expecting to find people calling the Storm a lousy iPhone knockoff because they wanted the design of an iPhone but didn't want to learn about the architecture of BlackBerry. I'm glad I was wrong. I personally find real keys a much better way to navigate, but my opinion's not any more right than anyone else's.

Like it or not though, it does seem the case that RIM has a lot more success developing for traditional 'Berries. There are a lot more pieces of software leaked for phones running 4.6 and even 4.5 still than 4.7, and most 3rd-party developers seem to add Storm support as an afterthought. Frequently I read Storm users complaining that apps which are working fine for Bold/8900/Curve/Pearl users are not working on their Storm.

I would still love to see a phone with the form-factor, display, and features of the Storm, with the device memory of the 8900 (or higher) a touch screen and an accelerometer. There are times when a touch screen really is nice for navigation, and there are all kinds of fun things you can do with an accelerometer from a development standpoint (phones as MIDI controllers FTW).

RIM offered the 8900 for people who wanted a Bold but didn't want to pay for AT&T/3G. They seem to be offering the Niagra for people who DO want 3G but don't care about Wi-Fi. Every phone they come out with seems to add to the current device memory, so that will likely be an improvement over earlier phones, but if you're the kind of user more interested in the touchscreen and accelerometer, you're still not going to want to switch from your Storm until they put those things in a newer phone.

If you can deal with having the BB that sees to give developers the most trouble (read: as long as you don't currently feel like you wish you had a different BlackBerry), odds are, you're stil gonna like your Storm best after the Niagra hits the stores.
    03-15-09 10:52 PM
    I really enjoy the large screen on the storm. I have set a relatively large font, and can read it even with distance glasses on. Plus, there is still a lot of information on the screen, even with the large font. Not to mention the size of the internet renderings, and pictures.

I've looked at other Blackberrys, but I really have trouble with the small screen. I came from a Samsung I760 which had a slightly smaller touch screen. The storm is great.

I'm still on .75 and I don't have any issues with the storm. It's still faster than my Samsung I760 and my old Treo. It is the best phone reception I've ever had.

Took about a day and a half to get used to touchscreen typing. Took about three days to get used to the Blackberry system. It is great now that I'm used to it.

I would only be interested in another Blackberry if the screen were as large. Maybe the storm has extra value for those who appreciate the information they can see at one time on the screen.

It's all about communication and information. This is a great phone and a great display.
    -anchorsax
    03-15-09 11:30 PM
    Good call Shatiek....:: puts down aerosol can and lighter::....good call.

that made me lol! Nice post
    03-15-09 11:39 PM
    The only way alot of storm users will jump ship to the Niagra is if VZW/Rim doesnt put out a strong OS for the phone by the time the Niagra hits stores.

Alot of people who own storms pay no attention to the internet forums and thus dont know about leaks. heck some are probably still running .65 the point im making is that those people who are stuck in the stone age and dont know about all these leaks are most likely the ones who are fed up with the phone and would jump ship in a minute.

Me personally i love my storm but i feel like some others that it is neglected. There are a ton of apps out working for other phones that are berries but it takes an extra 6-8 months to get it ported to the storm. just little stuff like that. i mean it does great for what i need it to i just sometimes think that RIM/Verizon should have released this phone after all the others because with RIM's focus being on so many new phones (Bold, New Curve, Niagra, Pearl Flip, 9900) and then the Storm its almost like they are in over their heads as far as handling all the bugs that pop up and that need to be dealt with all of those phones and getting some out in production (Niagra, 9900) while still building the OS's for the new devices.

just my take
    03-16-09 02:08 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD