I dont think I've ever been this angry at a phone situation in my life. My ENV apparently is broken around the connector, and I can not transfer my contacts (381) to my storm. I went to 2 verizon stores and theyve tried cleaning it and using other cables, no dice. I tried to reasoon and plead with them to get them to figure out ANY other way besides typing in 381 contacts manually and they gave me lazy shrugs and sent me away. I have backup assistant on my ENV but apparently back up assistant doesnt transfer to the storm.

I'm turning to you guys. Is there ANY possible way i'm able to transfer my contacts to my storm without typing in 381 different addresses over again? I've been back and forth all day between different stores and I'm ready to explode. Help me out
    12-26-08 04:55 PM
    Well, I had the EnV too, and guess what I had to do? Transfer allllll my contacts by hand. I didn't mind tho, it was good practice for getting used to the keyboard.
    So uhmm..look at it as a learning experience maybe? lol

From now on though, I'd definitely make backups on VZ's website so that they can help you in the future.
    12-26-08 04:59 PM
    The links below are to two programs. One allows you to use your ENV back up and convert it to .ipd for BB. It's $20. The other is free, and lets you enter the contact info on your pc then converts to .ipd.

Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor
    Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor, edit contacts in IPD files
    12-26-08 05:01 PM
    The links below are to two programs. One allows you to use your ENV back up and convert it to .ipd for BB. It's $20. The other is free, and lets you enter the contact info on your pc then converts to .ipd.

Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor
    Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor, edit contacts in IPD files
    Thats great. Thanks. I'm a little confused about the first one though. How would I get my ENV back up files onto the computer (from the back up assistant website) to send them to my BB? The process has me a little confused. Would you care to explain a little more? I really appreciate it
    12-26-08 05:04 PM
    I have backup assistant on my ENV but apparently back up assistant doesnt transfer to the storm.
    I took this to mean you had a back-up on your pc. Sorry to confuse. Looks like your best option is the editor. You'll still have to do it manually but it will be worlds easier and faster. Keep in mind this is the last time you'll have to do it since you can keep back ups right on your pc with Blackberry. Even if your port on the BB is broke you could do so via Bluetooth. Hope that thought eases your pain. Better get to typing.
    12-26-08 05:09 PM
    I'm in the exact same situation. O well I jus enter them in little by little. Plus pp call or txt me then I just save from there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 05:12 PM
    did bluetooth not work?
    12-26-08 05:14 PM
    I took this to mean you had a back-up on your pc. Sorry to confuse. Looks like your best option is the editor. You'll still have to do it manually but it will be worlds easier and faster. Keep in mind this is the last time you'll have to do it since you can keep back ups right on your pc with Blackberry. Even if your port on the BB is broke you could do so via Bluetooth. Hope that thought eases your pain. Better get to typing.
    When I enter my contacts in and save them as an .ipd file (I just save them onto the desktop for ease). How do I actually get the file onto my Storm to put into "contacts"? I have my phone plugged into the CPU now and DM is running. Where would I deposit the file? (New to DM and Blackberry so I'm not familiar with the interface)
    12-26-08 05:17 PM
    did bluetooth not work?
    What do you mean?
    12-26-08 05:18 PM
    Go to back up/restore>advanced. Over the left window hit file>open. Click on the ipd to put it in the left window then hit the button in the middle to transfer to the Storm.
    12-26-08 05:19 PM
    Go to back up/restore>advanced. Over the left window hit file>open. Click on the ipd to put it in the left window then hit the button in the middle to transfer to the Storm.
    Brilliant. Thanks so much. It's still a hassle but it'd be a lot easier. You're sure this will transfer it into direct contacts? I'm just wondering because I dont want to spend 2 hours transfering contacts to have it not work.
    12-26-08 05:22 PM
    Do you have any other phone (like one you keep as a back up)? If so, you can transfer your contacts via backup assistant online, then go to the verizon store and have them transfer them from that phone.
    12-26-08 05:22 PM
    Do you have any other phone (like one you keep as a back up)? If so, you can transfer your contacts via backup assistant online, then go to the verizon store and have them transfer them from that phone.
    I do actually. It's an old flip LG phone and it's not activated, but I have it with me and I just cleared my contacts. How would I get my backup assistant files onto this phone?
    12-26-08 05:30 PM
    don't know if its compatible or not, but have you tried to bluetooth it???
    12-26-08 05:30 PM
    I also recommend Backup Assistant on your Env.

Then go to https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=UKA3wMjn

You can then copy your contacts into an Excel spread sheet, convert it by hand into a .csv file (a little annoying I know), and then transfer then on over to your Storm.

If nothing else, it provides you with an online and computer copy of your phonebook that you can keep as "backup".
    12-26-08 05:34 PM
    Good practice for you to transfer all by hand...and also good punishment for buying such a gay phone in the first place
    12-26-08 05:36 PM
    Thanks a lot for all the replies everyone. I was able to get a hold of my sisters old LG and backup my numbers to that phone, and then make the switch. Got all my contacts!
    12-26-08 07:12 PM
    I also recommend Backup Assistant on your Env.

Then go to https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=pC1rdJM4

You can then copy your contacts into an Excel spread sheet, convert it by hand into a .csv file (a little annoying I know), and then transfer then on over to your Storm.

If nothing else, it provides you with an online and computer copy of your phonebook that you can keep as "backup".
    Backup Assistant does not work with the storm. Why pay a monthly fee for that.

Take both phones to a verizon store and they'll do it for you for free. Takes 5 minutes.
    12-26-08 07:54 PM
    Thanks a lot for all the replies everyone. I was able to get a hold of my sisters old LG and backup my numbers to that phone, and then make the switch. Got all my contacts!
    Glad it worked out for you!
    12-27-08 12:31 AM

Take both phones to a verizon store and they'll do it for you for free. Takes 5 minutes.
    read the whole post.....
    12-27-08 12:31 AM
    If you are still having a problem. You could always call verizon, and activate their service that lets you save your contacts to their server. its like 2$ a month and I think its done wirelessly. So you could do that, pay 2$, get your contacts transferred, and then cancel the service.
    12-27-08 12:33 AM
    I had an env as well and back up assistant was no help because you can't use backup assistant to transfer contacts from regular phone on to a smartphone (what a verizon rep told me)...so i just brought my phone in to verizon and had them transfer all my contacts...they did it for free
    12-27-08 12:50 AM

backup assistant fees are waived if you are signed up to use the verizon website. It was something i defnitely took advantage of before i had my BB.
    12-27-08 12:52 AM
    yeah it was def great before i got the storm...great program for those who have a non smart phone
    12-27-08 12:56 AM
    The only way i see this happening is if you have another get it now capable phone besides the env . . . .

If you can get ahold of another working non-active Get it Now capable phone then you are golden . .

There are 3 phones involved here:

ENV - Backup Phone - Storm

Here are your steps:

1: Activate the Env back onto your account and back up all your numbers via backup assistant

2: Activate the backup phone (which will deactivate your env again) and then download backup assistant. This will pull all of the numbers you just backed up via step 1 and put them into the backup phone

3: Go to a Verizon store and have them transfer the numbers from the backup phone directly to your storm via the in store machine

4: Reactivate your storm (complete with your 381 contacts)

5: Smile, your fingers will be happy now

If this is confusing (it most likely sounds it) then pm me
    12-27-08 01:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD