I believe most people have the experience that the screen changes to landscape but you didn't really want it to. The idea of automatically switching is cool but sometime it is kind of annoying. For me, the only time I need landscape is when I am typing messages and internet surfing. I would say about 80% of time that the screen switched to landscape that I don't really want it.

Is there a way I can turn off the automatic landscape view?
    01-22-09 08:33 PM
    This is my #1 pet peeve with the Storm. Especially for the home screen.

Can a user of the .90 update chime in on this?

Is there an option to prevent the orientation change?
    01-23-09 11:30 AM
    I don't think so! Clarification; you want to disable the accelerometer??
    01-23-09 11:33 AM
    It's not possible at this time, but many of us would like to see this feature or some variation there of!
    01-23-09 11:36 AM
    Not yet, one can only hope for future OS updates!!!! I for one hate 90% of the switching and would only like to switch when web browsing, messaging and viewing pictures. Everything else is pretty much useless and I think the phone would show a huge speed improvement if it wasn't constantly switching orientation at the slightest tilt.

Now as to the .90 upgrade, I cannot say for sure, but it seems like RIM has done a little bit of accelerometer tweaking and now my orientation does not change to landscape when I set it on a table (it of course still changes orientation when I tilt it). So, if true, that would be a nice change.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-23-09 at 11:41 AM.
    01-23-09 11:37 AM
    I don't think so! Clarification; you want to disable the accelerometer??
    No. I want to disable auto landscape view only. If you have used an iPhone or G1, you know there are many many good use of accelerometer. For example games and level meters.
    01-23-09 11:54 AM
    it would be great if you could set a default alignment for different apps/screens
    01-23-09 12:17 PM
    it would be great if you could set a default alignment for different apps/screens
    now THAT would be a very useful feature!
    01-23-09 01:10 PM
    How I can stop/start this automatic rotation from my background application that all other foreground applications not rotates portrait/landscape?
    I need sometimes lock portrait mode and unlock after. How I can lock it not for my application only, and for all system and all applications?
    Can I operate this device setting to turn it on/off? Any other ways?
    02-05-09 02:30 AM
    can't do this yet
    02-05-09 01:07 PM
    I'd like a button (hard button &/or on icon button) that lets me choose.

The auto switch is fine at my desk, but as soon as I get up, it's a pain ... walking, on the road ... give me a button ... I might like to assign the default camera button to it. GIVE US A CHOICE.
    02-10-09 07:31 PM
    I'd like a button (hard button &/or on icon button) that lets me choose the screen orientation.

The auto switch is fine at my desk, but as soon as I get up, it's a pain ... walking, on the road ... give me a button ... I might like to assign the default camera button to it. GIVE US A CHOICE.
    02-10-09 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD