My screen stopped responding to touch. I can push the buttons and receive calls and everything, but I can't make selections via the touch screen. It doesn't even recognize my finger. This was a day after updrading to .103. I went to Verizon and they have a new one being sent to me, should be here Tuesday. I didn't tell the guy that I had .103 since it's not "official". Will having the .103 software void my warranty or will they accept it still?
    02-14-09 07:05 PM
    I would try and revert to an older os if you can!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 07:13 PM
    they wont even check it. dont worry about it im sure they dont care. i think in a way it voids your warrenty but its really not a big deal. have you tried downgrading your os thou, cause maybe it was .103 that stopped your screen from responding

edit: yay 100 posts
    02-14-09 07:14 PM
    I would downgrade to the official verizon software. They might or might not check it, but better safe than sorry.
    02-14-09 07:16 PM
    I traded mine in with .90, no questions asked. Just don't mention it to the tech, or find one that's down with phone modding.

02-14-09 07:47 PM
    Or maybe wipe it first? Then your data will not be on it and you have an excuse for it being gone.
    02-14-09 07:52 PM
    I'd downgrade it if you can to .75. Even thought they probably won't check it I still wouldn't take the chance. At any rate, you shouldn't need to use the touch screen to downgrade it.

BTW - If you're having trouble downgrading it (it says update not available or something to that nature) try uninstalling all the upgrades (they're listed in 'Programs and Features') and uninstalling DM. Reinstall DM and then only install the official .75 OS from Verizon. That's what I do at least. My fourth phone (3rd replacement) is in the mail. Love the phone, just wish they'd get the hardware right. Oh well...it's the first time anyone has attempted a 'click' screen so I guess it's to be expected.
    02-14-09 09:31 PM
    they wont even check it. dont worry about it im sure they dont care. i think in a way it voids your warrenty but its really not a big deal. have you tried downgrading your os thou, cause maybe it was .103 that stopped your screen from responding

edit: yay 100 posts
    I wouldn't say that. You'd be surprised how many techs are active here and know enough to check software versions. You are better off playing it safe and reverting to .75 as beta software will void your warranty

02-14-09 09:33 PM
    I returned my first Storm with.85 still installed the tech noticed...he didn't seem to care and exchanged it no prob

02-14-09 10:08 PM
    I wouldn't take the chance some techs probably care but I'm sure some won't. The question will that be your lucky day

02-14-09 11:13 PM
    I believe if you go in and tell them there is a problem with your touchscreen they will almost definitely check the software before they allow a return. That seems to be the first thing most techs check before they authorize a return or exchange. You might get lucky if they are really busy and dont want to deal with it, but expect them to check to make sure your software matches their most update. As mentioned before Just revert back to the old software. You don't really need the touch for that except to go through the setup process again.
    02-15-09 12:04 AM
    They will check the os in most stores and deny the return. I know a couple of managers at Verizon Wireless and have discussed the issue specifically. The policy is to check the Version before allowing the return. ESPECIALLY WITH THE STORM.

02-15-09 12:21 AM
    Wow thanks for all your replies! I'll play it safe then and revert back to .75, no sense in being lazy and getting the one person that has a crappy day and wants to take it out on me lol.
    02-15-09 12:37 AM
    See, this is what I don't get, this is my phone, I paid for it, so I have every right to download what I want onto it, whether it be games or an OS. Why pay for something and not be able to customize it how I want? Just my .02

02-15-09 01:35 AM
    i traded my phone with .90, no problems.
    02-15-09 01:44 AM
    Jpdfly, you have every right now do whatever you want to the phone. Verizon doesn't have to cover the warranty for what you have done to your phone. They certainly have a valid reason to question a return for a non functioning touchscreen if they find there is a beta level (remember, .103 has not been released officially by any carrier) software on the phone, that could be the issue.

To the OP, I would certainly try a full wipe and reinstall .103. If still dead, revert to .75 to return it and see if it works them. Enjoy!

02-15-09 01:53 AM
    No problem returning it with ANY OS. This has been asked so many times and the answer is the same.
    I have returned 3 Pearls with 4.5 beta and a Storm with a leaked OS too. No problems at all. They dont care or they dont check.
    02-15-09 06:00 AM
    Must be who you talk to in the VZW stores or CSR. When I turned mine in for replacement a month ago, one of the things the tech asked me was if I had toyed around with the leaks.

Some have said it matters, some have said it doesn't, so it sounds like it's a roll of the dice.

But, to be on the safe side, bring it back to .75
    02-15-09 07:16 AM
    Verizon would have to prove the defect was caused by a leaked OS, which a bad screen wouldn't be, so no worries.
    02-15-09 09:42 AM
    Wow! That same thing happened to me about a month ago. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem until now. I had a beta OS on it and I am sure it is not a problem. Before you send it back you can try to install .75 to see if it allows your phone to work and for your own piece of mind. And wipe your information so it won't get in the wrong person's hands.
    02-15-09 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD