If i put an att prepaid sim in and then switch to gsm only, will I be able to receive calls to that other phone #?
    01-26-09 09:16 AM
    If your phone is unlocked, then yes you should be able to.
    01-26-09 09:18 AM
    My Storm is suppose to be unlocked, how can I confirm it?
    01-26-09 09:21 AM
    I think they are locked inside the US and unlocked outside of the US.
    01-26-09 09:23 AM
    Put the att sim in. Go to manage connections, switch from CDMA to GSM and see if you can make a call.
    01-26-09 09:23 AM
    Yes, you can.
    01-26-09 09:36 AM
    Who are you trying to hide from? Are we helping in an assassination attempt on someone? lol.

Jk Bro, Yes, you should be able to without any problems. As long as it's unlocked to begin with.
    01-26-09 10:22 AM
    My Storm is suppose to be unlocked, how can I confirm it?
    Go to SIM card under you options menu. Pull up the keyboard. Type MEPD and it should pull up a list. Almost all should say disabled. Specifically SIM CARD
    01-26-09 10:24 AM
    No, you cannot switch on the fly. Your regular cell service will work, but no data or email will. To my knowledge, people have had issues with being able to get Blackberry service when using prepaid cards. Voice will work however, as long as your SIM slot is unlocked.
    01-26-09 10:27 AM
    I'm a tad confused on this topic myself. I've always liked the idea of the dual-SIM phones you can get on GSM networks, but obviously no such thing exists (that I know of at least?) for Telus, etc. Does this mean that by having another carrier's SIM card in the phone, you can actually have 2 different numbers active *at the same time* on the Storm? (and if so, will it tell you which one is receiving a call?)

I imagine there must be a restriction here, or something I'm not thinking of. But I'd love to be able to have both my business and personal numbers ring to one phone, rather than carrying around two...
    01-26-09 10:49 AM
    I'm a tad confused on this topic myself. I've always liked the idea of the dual-SIM phones you can get on GSM networks, but obviously no such thing exists (that I know of at least?) for Telus, etc. Does this mean that by having another carrier's SIM card in the phone, you can actually have 2 different numbers active *at the same time* on the Storm? (and if so, will it tell you which one is receiving a call?)

I imagine there must be a restriction here, or something I'm not thinking of. But I'd love to be able to have both my business and personal numbers ring to one phone, rather than carrying around two...
    If I understand correctly, only one will be active at a time. In other words, you can't be receiving calls from both numbers without switching back and forth between the settings. You can do this on the fly and easily if the above responses are accurate, but it's not a way to have two numbers working at all times on one phone.
    01-26-09 10:57 AM
    I'm a tad confused...I've always liked the idea of the dual-SIM phones you can get on GSM networks, but obviously no such thing exists
    It exists, but no mainstream carrier or manufacturer will ever promote or subsidize it for obvious reasons (if they're not so obvious to you, please discuss).

But there are phones out there with dual SIMs which are active at the same time. One example is this Korean made iClone:

01-26-09 11:05 AM
    Yes, those are the types of phones to which I was referring.

And definitely understand why a carrier/manufacturer wouldn't promote such features-- that's why I was rather surprised at the concept it might work. Glad to be clear on that though, this saves me from going nuts and buying a SIM card/activating another plan just to test the theory.
    01-26-09 11:58 AM
    question.. i probably did EVERYTHING wrong in this purchase, BUT-
    i purchased an unlocked bb storm on craigslist. i am running my att prepaid sim in it now, and obviously cannot run any data. because of the dual sim, can i run my att prepaid for my calls, and purchase a verizon data only plan and use that sim in the other slot? i'm away i'd probably have to switch back and forth. help!

or am i totally not understanding this dual sim stuff??? thanks!

this is my first blackberry and i don't know if i've been under a rock, but i didnt know my prepaid data plan wouldn't work with the bb :/
    05-19-10 11:57 PM
    question.. i probably did EVERYTHING wrong in this purchase, BUT-
    i purchased an unlocked bb storm on craigslist. i am running my att prepaid sim in it now, and obviously cannot run any data. because of the dual sim, can i run my att prepaid for my calls, and purchase a verizon data only plan and use that sim in the other slot? i'm away i'd probably have to switch back and forth. help!

or am i totally not understanding this dual sim stuff??? thanks!

this is my first blackberry and i don't know if i've been under a rock, but i didnt know my prepaid data plan wouldn't work with the bb :/
    As far as I know, you can't run both AT&T (GSM) and Verizon data (CDMA) at the same time. Verizon does not have any SIM cards so that would not be able to work. The Storm is not dual SIM but a world phone that can handle both GSM and CDMA.
    05-20-10 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD