Is this possible? So many sites are optimized for the iPhone, which just means it's sending a handheld stylesheet and should work just fine on the Storm, aside from Webkit specific functionality, and apparently the BB Browser completely neglects handheld stylesheets, so I'm getting the 'full experience' of the site, when in fact some developer has spent many hours optimizing a site for small screens, but RIM doesn't seem to give a **** and want to give me the 'full browser experience'.

If a site has a handheld stylesheet, I f'ing want it. Thanks RIM.

Anyway, is it possible to send iPhone headers from the browser?
    02-03-09 01:46 PM
    You can only select between Firefox and Internet Explorer at the moment.

IIRC, Storms browser IS webkit based, so it really should have no problem with iphone formatted pages (other than some extra space on screen b/c the storm's display is higher resolution).
    02-03-09 01:53 PM
    He knows it doesn't have a problem reading iphone formatted pages. It's just that some sites may have conditional statements to load one version of the site if the browser is an iPhone. If it looks specificially for an iPhone versus a mobile browser, the Storm will not take advantage of the iPhone formatting. Though, I am not aware of sites that look specifically for iPhones.
    02-03-09 02:22 PM
    I guess Im not following. The web page changes the content based on the User Agent string reported by the browser.

The Browser doenst just "choose to ignore" anything that is iphone specific. It's that the page is not serving the iphone specific parts to the BB because the BB isnt telling the page its an Iphone.

Edit: regarding sites that change the output, google search is a big one. It reformats for Iphone and Andriod: Official Google Mobile Blog: Optimized search results pages for Android and iPhone
    Last edited by koan00; 02-03-09 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Add changing sites
    02-03-09 02:50 PM
    Edit: regarding sites that change the output, google search is a big one. It reformats for Iphone and Andriod: Official Google Mobile Blog: Optimized search results pages for Android and iPhone
    You found a great example. On the other hand, I run a little piece of javascript on my forum that simply determines if the browser is a mobile browser or not. If the user is using a mobile browser, the forum will use an "iPhone optimized" theme, but it isn't confined to iPhones. My Blackberry will automatically load the iPhone optimized theme, and it's perfect on my phone.

This is a particularly nice feature, b/c users don't have to change their theme when going back and forth between their mobile device and their PC, and I don't have to run a .wap site.

I don't think it would be hard for RIM to add a Browser Identification Safari Mobile to their browser, and I can't imagine why it would be illegal. Perhaps someone should recommend it to them.
    02-03-09 07:51 PM
    I work at a company that is making "iPhone" only pages. If the iPhone user agent string is recieved, those pages are served up. Anything else gets the full, heavy, site.

I'm also looking for away to make the Storm browser (or some 3rd party browser...) present the iPhone User Agent. I know the strings ... I just don't have a mechanism. If anyone knows that piece ... I'd be grateful.
    03-06-09 05:08 PM
    I work at a company that is making "iPhone" only pages. If the iPhone user agent string is recieved, those pages are served up. Anything else gets the full, heavy, site.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/cha...3/#post1876530

If you work at the company, can't you have your web developers change the logic to check for BB browser user agent string in addition to iPhone's user agent?
    03-06-09 05:33 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/cha...3/#post1876530

If you work at the company, can't you have your web developers change the logic to check for BB browser user agent string in addition to iPhone's user agent?
    I think his point is that it's becoming common practice, not just at his company but elsewhere as well, to only check for the iPhone user agent and nobody else's.
    03-06-09 05:47 PM
    No iPhone headers here!
    03-06-09 06:36 PM
    I doubt RIM will allow you to change the user agent string, especially not to an iPhone. A lot of statistics are based on what percentage of hits are from this browser or this mobile device.

While spoofing an iPhone user agent string might make a lot of sites much easier to browse on the Storm, it would inaccurately tilt the statistics in Apple's favor.
    03-06-09 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD