Can I run any software what-so-ever on my storm to allow the GPS to work considering I'm on T-Mobile. I posted a similar question in the 3rd party apps page but no one looks at that and responds, so here I am again.
    01-23-09 12:42 PM
    Short answer...No...

What ever program you want to use has to be compatible with the BB OS. So, no Android programs or any other programs for other phones besides BBs. Yes you can use mostly any other BB program on it, but it may have compatibility issues.
    01-23-09 01:06 PM
    So with that being said, the GPS programming on the phone can not be formatted to work on T-Mobile either, correct!?
    01-23-09 01:09 PM
    It should be able to because the GPS hardware and OS are RIM products, not VZW. You just need to find the right BB Storm App, if it's out yet, that would allow you to use it.

So, it is possible for you to be able to use, you juts need a medium to access it...
    01-23-09 01:11 PM
    The GPS should work, yes. If the actual GPS module in the phone does not work, grab the Google Maps application. It will do a "best effort" GPS location using triangulation from the cell towers in your immediate area.
    01-23-09 01:12 PM
    GPS on my unlocked Bold works. It may not work with google maps on the storm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 01:35 PM
    Google maps does not work at all trying to find my location. That's what caught me offguard to begin with. I figured if anything, it would work...
    01-23-09 01:42 PM
    Try Nav4all. Also make sure your TCP/APN settings are correct.
    APN should be wap.voicestream.com
    Nothing under user name or password
    01-23-09 01:47 PM
    Okay so upon install and reboot... got the vsod. battery pull. Works just fine. However, it cannot find the GPS unit in my phone. After about 10 minutes of searching I aborted it. I also just installed Garmin and it can't find the GPS either. Do I not have gps on this phone and I'm just stupid!? That doesn't make sense to me considering I have the GPS options screen
    Last edited by extremeconcepts; 01-23-09 at 02:35 PM.
    01-23-09 02:24 PM
    You are outside arent you? The GPS has to be able to communicate with satellites so you need to have a fairly clear view of the sky. Then go to options>GPS>menu>refresh.
    01-23-09 02:48 PM
    I replied to that question... stop cross posting darn it.
    01-23-09 02:51 PM
    as noted above the only reason I did it was because more people view/respond in this forum vs the other. I posted yesterday and have 3 responses or what not. I posted this two hours ago and have like 10. My questions have finally been answered thanks to everyone. Just trying to fine tune.

It's currently raining here. Do the clouds prohibit the phones ability to find a satellite

When I open blackberry maps now it at least says searching for satellite's. Whereas before it would just say no GPS available or whatever. So with that I assume that it's working just fine minus the quest for my current location.
    Last edited by extremeconcepts; 01-23-09 at 03:11 PM.
    01-23-09 03:04 PM
    Standing next to a window also works. Just make sure Location is set to On and your network is GSM and not Global. Then in BBMaps click on the sat button on the left side of the toolbar on the bottom.
    01-23-09 03:15 PM
    is anyone positive that google maps doesn't use gps sats? i keep reading that it uses cell triangulation. The reason i ask is one day i was sitting in my basement showing friends a fishin' hole and i gotta message saying couldn't find gps satellites.
    01-23-09 03:36 PM
    Google Maps uses triangulation with verizon.
    01-23-09 03:43 PM
    It's not that GPS doesn't work with Google Maps, it's just that it hasn't been updated for the Storm. Give it time.
    01-23-09 03:43 PM
    a knowlegeable response
    01-23-09 04:52 PM
    Thanks for all your help guys.......

Here's the update so far.

BBMaps works perfectly sat. and all. I downloaded the Garmin Trial and it works perfectly as well. The weather was really bad today as far as cloud coverage so it was taking a while for the Satellites to register but they eventually did. To answer anyone's question, Google is still not foreseeing their 2.3.2 mapping software to work with the GPS unit inside the Storm for at least a couple of months.

If anyone has questions, let me know... I've gone through a lot to make this thing work.
    01-23-09 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD