i have searched and i'm sure i'm missing it but is there a way to turn off the 'snap' sound when you take a photo?

thanks!
    -aimee
    02-20-09 09:49 PM
    Nope, there is no way to turn off the sound. If my memory serves me right, the reason for this sound was because of a lawsuit over privacy. The lawsuit involved people taking inappropriate pictures without the subject knowing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 10:07 PM
    wow!! i should have known! lol the things people think of. ok then. thanks!
    02-20-09 10:12 PM
    Who were you trying to take inappropriate pictures of?
    02-20-09 10:15 PM
    Who were you trying to take inappropriate pictures of?
    you, in the tub but you keep posing and it's not fun if you know i'm doing it! lol
    02-20-09 10:20 PM
    **** ya, I knew there are female stalkers that want the snap sound gone to...!

hahaha
    02-21-09 11:35 PM
    lol hahahaha.
    02-21-09 11:36 PM
    Nope, there is no way to turn off the sound. If my memory serves me right, the reason for this sound was because of a lawsuit over privacy. The lawsuit involved people taking inappropriate pictures without the subject knowing.
    There might have been a lawsuit, but it would not have ever been successful against a cell phone manufacturer for not having a shutter sound. There would be no legal basis. There is no state or federal law requiring a shutter sound on a cell phone camera, nor should there be. (Although some Congressman has introduced a silly bill that will never pass. See The Camera Phone Predator Alert Act)

The Storm's shutter sound is, in my opinion, a silly gimmick. The Storm's own video camera could capture the exact same "inappropriate image" as the camera, albeit moving, yet it emits no noise when rolling. Why then force owners to have a silly sound when the camera's shutter is released? There is no logical reason for there not to be an option to disable it. Hopefully, someone will figure out how to make that an option.
    02-22-09 12:27 AM
    There might have been a lawsuit, but it would not have ever been successful against a cell phone manufacturer for not having a shutter sound. There would be no legal basis. There is no state or federal law requiring a shutter sound on a cell phone camera, nor should there be. (Although some Congressman has introduced a silly bill that will never pass. See The Camera Phone Predator Alert Act)

The Storm's shutter sound is, in my opinion, a silly gimmick. The Storm's own video camera could capture the exact same "inappropriate image" as the camera, albeit moving, yet it emits no noise when rolling. Why then force owners to have a silly sound when the camera's shutter is released? There is no logical reason for there not to be an option to disable it. Hopefully, someone will figure out how to make that an option.
    well said! my problem is i just feel 'nerdy' when i have this nice arse phone and when i take a picture it makes this loud 'snap' noise! lmao.

thanks for all the input guys!!
    02-22-09 12:50 AM
    S teelthorn makes the following app but it does not work on Verizon BB
    "BerryAnnoying resolves a, well, very annoying oversight in all BlackBerry devices equipped with a digital camera: the shutter sound! Just install BerryAnnoying and run it instead of the usual camera icon. It's that simple"
    02-22-09 05:13 PM
    well that sucks it doesn't work on verizon bb.. how come i wonder? i'm with verizon.
    02-24-09 12:57 PM
    There are times when I snap a cute pic of my kids that the simulated shutter noise affects what is happening (stops play as the eager children want to see the picture).
    02-24-09 02:21 PM
    do what i do when i am trying to be sneaky and cover up the speaker on the backside ,where the sound is coming out of, to help muffle the "snap" sound. usually if you press hard enough you don't even hear the clicking sound. hope that helps
    02-25-09 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD