Has anyone heard of removing the camera from a Storm?

My reasoning is because I work on a military base. DoD will not allow us to have camera phones on the property. I know I can still buy a phone without a camera, and even buy a Blackberry without a camera. But I get really bored at work and want something that can play videos on the internet ((Youtube) Video's are blocked from our computers).

So, yeah, any ideas?
    12-20-08 01:49 PM
    When I worked at Chrysler corporate would actually take a punch or small drill bit and drill out the camera lens itself.

If you try this you should probably be careful to not go too deep inside the lens.

There might be a software hack to turn this off as well.
    12-20-08 01:52 PM

My reasoning is because I work on a military base. DoD will not allow us to have camera phones on the property. I know I can still buy a phone without a camera, and even buy a Blackberry without a camera. But I get really bored at work and want something that can play videos on the internet ((Youtube) Video's are blocked from our computers).

So, yeah, any ideas?
    I work on a couple of bases and there are plenty of DOD personal using the Storm and iPhone for that matter. I know the VZW 8830 is the default standard but I see other BB being used.

But from your standpoint I see why there should be a Storm model without the camera specially depending on what part of the base you have to report to and how strict they follow the rules.
    I've done this with other phones but not the Storm.

What you may want to try instead is using a sharpee or equivalent to permanently black out the lens. Then take it to your security officer to see if that's good enough.

Just be glad you can use a cell phone at work at all!

So, yeah, any ideas?

your best bet is to remove the camera by punching it out or drilling it.

Usually a software hack is not enough..

I have heard of services that will remove a device camera and people were doing this on the iPhone..

its probably safest that way as they replace it with a plug.
    12-20-08 01:54 PM
    Also before you kill the camera physically or marking it out. Talk to your Security Officer to find out if any of those will be acceptable before you ruin that portion of your phone.
    12-20-08 01:57 PM
    I am glad we can us a call hone on base, some parts (clearence required) you cannot have one at all.

We build heavy armor equipment, so this is why the no camera phone rule is in effect. We are not even allowed to have MP3 players on site because some have voice recorders.

Anyway, jpadams23, I have thought about the drill bit thing, and it WOULD be the best option since the camera's have to be physically removed, not just software blocked. Funny thing, the base I work at used to be leased by Chrysler Defense in the late 70's/early 80's.
    12-20-08 02:05 PM
    You can deleted the camera program from your phone I would see if that's good enough
    12-20-08 02:06 PM
    I have been in the military for 10 years and I have never heard of no cameras allowed. If you are in an area where cell phones cameras are not allowed then I am pretty
    Sure a cell phone alone is not authorized.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-20-08 02:07 PM
    I have been in the military for 10 years and I have never heard of no cameras allowed. If you are in an area where cell phones cameras are not allowed then I am pretty

12-20-08 02:07 PM
    Also before you kill the camera physically or marking it out. Talk to your Security Officer to find out if any of those will be acceptable before you ruin that portion of your phone.
    I have talked to them.

Sharpie blackout = No good
    Software blockout / removal = no good (they claim the software could be hidden or reinstalled within the base)

Camera removal = Accepted
    Chemical camera plug (Such as JB Weld, Raychem, ect) = case by case approval
    12-20-08 02:08 PM
    Ever thought of an 8830?
    12-20-08 02:09 PM
    The phone still has a voice recorder, the ability to send and receive messages, internet access, etc. I worked in s SCIF for a long time and we couldn't carry ANYTHING capable of sending or receiving information, no matter what the device. Pencil and paper was about as high tech as we got with personal property in there!
    12-20-08 02:09 PM
    We are private contractors on base, dealing with the manufacturing of heavy armored military equipment. That is all I am allowed to say. Cell phones are allowed, but a camera phone gets you hauled off of base in hand cuffs.
    12-20-08 02:12 PM
    There are places where cell phones are allowed but cameras/cell-cameras are not. I trust the OP knows what his/her own regulations are.
    12-20-08 02:14 PM
    Have you considered disassembling the device to see if the camera can be removed, physically without "drilling" it? I'm sure it's detachable.
    Ever thought of an 8830?
    I tried the 8330 last night. Absolutely hated it. I also tried out the Storm, it wasn't too bad.
    The phone still has a voice recorder, the ability to send and receive messages, internet access, etc. I worked in s SCIF for a long time and we couldn't carry ANYTHING capable of sending or receiving information, no matter what the device. Pencil and paper was about as high tech as we got with personal property in there!
    Different situations, different rules. SCIFs are usually very restrictive, and it doesn't sound like the OP is working in a SCIF.
    12-20-08 02:15 PM
    Photos from FCC of dismantled Storm:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

From the top photo on page two it looks like you *might* be able to remove the camera.
    12-20-08 02:17 PM
    Have you considered disassembling the device to see if the camera can be removed, physically without "drilling" it? I'm sure it's detachable.
    If the camera is anything like the curve it is easy to take out. You just have to take the case apart and there are little metal tabs holding the camera in a case. Just put a part of a credit card in all around it and the camera itself will pop out, You can even put it back in later if you ever wanted to.

Edit: I just saw the post above and it looks like the camera on the Curve, you should be able to remove it
    Last edited by Flexia; 12-20-08 at 02:23 PM.
    12-20-08 02:18 PM
    Correct buxley, I am not working in an SCIF all the time, but I do have to go into them occasionally. Guards at these points are very good and always ask if we have a phone 2 or 3 times.
    12-20-08 02:21 PM
    If the camera is anything like the curve it is easy to take out. You just have to take the case apart and there are little metal tabs holding the camera in a case. Just put a part of a credit card in all around it and the camera itself will pop out, You can even put it back in later if you ever wanted to
    From the link buxley posted, it looks easy enough to take apart. IDK how the Curve camera mounting looks in reference to this.
    12-20-08 02:23 PM
    same thing happened with my brother and his iPhone. Once he started his tour on his Sub, he bought an iPod Touch and a crappy throw away gsm phone. Had to leave any and all camera devices far far away on land.
    12-20-08 02:52 PM
    There are places where cell phones are allowed but cameras/cell-cameras are not. I trust the OP knows what his/her own regulations are.
    Where i work cameras are allowed but cellphones / radios arent lol. Lets trade bases!
    12-20-08 06:40 PM
    **UPDATE**

My wife ordered the 9530 for me, it will be here tomorrow. I am going to document the removal of the camera, so if someone else is ever in my situation, they have a guide.
    02-15-09 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD