Want sample pictures of the pictures taken by the Storm. A camera phone that takes good quality is important to me. You would think someone would have posted some by now. If anyone has seen some please post or let me know??
    11-20-08 12:29 PM
    Search it dude! There's plenty around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 12:39 PM
    not one review has a sample photo dude!!!!
    11-20-08 12:41 PM
    Sure they do. I can't remember the thread name but there was a picture of a Strongbow Cider and another on had a picture of a VZW store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 12:49 PM
    Yeah, I saw the VZW store one on here. Someone did a little write-up on the storm and emailed a pic back his email acct. Can't remember who though, sorry.
    11-20-08 12:56 PM
    pics from storm...
    just so you know, historically these guys are the most straight up on the camera reviews...
    11-20-08 01:05 PM
    Pics look very good. I'm looking forward to finally having a good camera on my PDA.
    11-20-08 01:12 PM
    Well, I'm just now posting here, but my experience with the pics hasn't been good at all. I posted on an older thread as that was the first one I found via a search on the topic, here: XXXXXX mine is the most recent (11/22/08) post with sample pics.

Ok - damn, it won't let me post urls it says until I've done 10 posts. So look for the thread titled, "Looking for examples of photos/videos taken with a Storm".

I know what to expect from camera phones (I've been using a Samsung Flipshot 3MP till now). Maybe I just got a defective Storm, but wow - my pics all came out horrible.
    11-22-08 12:54 AM
    Well, I'm just now posting here, but my experience with the pics hasn't been good at all. I posted on an older thread as that was the first one I found via a search on the topic, here: XXXXXX mine is the most recent (11/22/08) post with sample pics.

Ok - damn, it won't let me post urls it says until I've done 10 posts. So look for the thread titled, "Looking for examples of photos/videos taken with a Storm".

I know what to expect from camera phones (I've been using a Samsung Flipshot 3MP till now). Maybe I just got a defective Storm, but wow - my pics all came out horrible.
    ADD:

I think it will let me add image links, so I'm going to try a couple here.

Well, before I head back to Verizon this morning I tried a couple more shots. This time, even though it's bright and sunny outside, I turned on the "image stabilization" feature just in case oddly that would be the reason. Again, the camera was set at the highest size and quality settings, autofocus was allowed to do it's thing, and the Storm was held securely and steadily. It actually made the photos worse than they already were with I.S. turned off earlier.

This time, I aimed out into my back yard. Here is a crop from the central and most focused/"sharp" part of the photo. It's not a huge enlargement - just a crop of the central part of the image:

From yesterday's tries - trees. Still day, sunny, same settings except I.S. was off. Storm was held steady, autofocus used, etc etc... you can see the funky effect where a tiny central part is somewhat sharp(ish) but the rest turns to mush:

Side section of my garage. Brick colors are faded, washed out, out of focus and lack detail:

I'm about to head back to Verizon to take this back now. I've already called and they have no more Storms to swap out, but, on another forum this morning I did finally see a camera comment from someone that said in their opinion, VGA cameras did better. I'm just going to swap mine out for a LG DARE or just go back to my old Samsung Flipshot until something much better comes out later. So I know I'm not the only one. Bad batch? Bad camera in general? I have no idea. But anyway - live and learn I guess.
    11-22-08 09:47 AM
    here are 2 pics i took

11-22-08 10:05 AM
    Those look perfect.
    11-22-08 10:06 AM
    Yeah, the fountain and flowers shots looks pretty good. TOTALLY the opposite of mine.

All I can say is that apparently my Storm had a defective camera. But I've seen a couple of other posts online too that show bad image, so I'm wondering just what percentage of these have bad cameras, or if the first initial batch of them were just duds, etc.?

I took mine back to Verizon today. The store we have locally has a few employees with a "I could care less" attitude, and they didn't even want to see the sample pics from it. They just wanted to do the return and get me out the door along with everyone else in there at the time. I was going to switch to a LG Dare but wound up not even doing that due to their junk.

I'm waiting until after the new year to see what happens. If it comes to light that RIM admits a glitchy Storm batch went out, I might try one again at a later time. Otherwise I'll just wait for the next generation of cameras to come out and see how they look.
    11-22-08 04:07 PM
    Yeah, the fountain and flowers shots looks pretty good. TOTALLY the opposite of mine.

All I can say is that apparently my Storm had a defective camera. But I've seen a couple of other posts online too that show bad image, so I'm wondering just what percentage of these have bad cameras, or if the first initial batch of them were just duds, etc.?

I took mine back to Verizon today. The store we have locally has a few employees with a "I could care less" attitude, and they didn't even want to see the sample pics from it. They just wanted to do the return and get me out the door along with everyone else in there at the time. I was going to switch to a LG Dare but wound up not even doing that due to their junk.

I'm waiting until after the new year to see what happens. If it comes to light that RIM admits a glitchy Storm batch went out, I might try one again at a later time. Otherwise I'll just wait for the next generation of cameras to come out and see how they look.
    You made a good choice of not going with the dare. The camera on that phone takes nice pictures but it has SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW response time.
    11-22-08 04:14 PM
    You made a good choice of not going with the dare. The camera on that phone takes nice pictures but it has SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW response time.
    Well, I don't think a cell camera exists yet that doesn't have a lot of shutter lag on it. None of them are as fast as actual cameras (yet, anyway - at least here in the States). I played with the DARE while I was at the store and it's actually a little faster than the Samsung Flipshot I had.

The thing is, on the Flipshot, you can disable autofocusing and it'll work just fine without it - at fixed focus. You still get 90% of the image quality but it considerably speeds things up. As a matter of fact, a few posts ago that sample image I did from the Flipshot of the "Seven Springs" store with the Coke sign - that was with the phone's autofocusing turned OFF. I didn't check to see if the DARE allows you to disable autofocus or not. On the Storm, you could NOT disable it, and yes, on the Storm as well it was very slow from the time you pressed the shutter until it took the pic - up to 3 1/2 to 4 seconds. I'm not sure if that part was normal or part of the defective nature of my unit or not.
    11-22-08 07:47 PM
    Yeah I think the Storm's pic quality is very good for a camera phone. Especially a phone that's $200. Come on guys.
    11-22-08 08:03 PM
    11-22-08 08:07 PM
    Pearl

Storm

Same settings, standing in the same spot....
    11-23-08 06:09 AM
    Thanks fonebrkr. That shows an outstanding difference in camera quality.
    11-23-08 06:43 AM
    Today I went by a different Verizon store and the salesperson told me that they had received a call from someone who said that their Storm camera also seemed to be defective. They had them check the camera settings like I had done, and they were fine, so they told them to bring it in. When I was there they had not yet arrived, so no more details were available from him.

I have found a few comments on other forums from people who have had similar experiences with their Storm's phone like I had, and then like on here, a few where others seem to have units that have fully working cameras. So after digging on forums and also talking to the salesperson today, my only conclusion is that the initial shipment of Storm's had a certain number of defective cameras in some of the units. Only time will tell how many, and some folks who got them may not even need a camera that much for their personal use, so may never really discover the problem. Hopefully it was just the first batch, and hopefully not a ton of people will get them.

Unfortunately, I was one, and I need a good cam on my cell for work site purposes this week. Had the Verizon rep at my local store been polite with me when I took mine back this past weekend, I would most likely have opted to wait for more to come in and try a new one, but since she was so freakin' rude with me about it I finally just gave up and just returned it and went back to my old phone for now. Samsung has the new "Omnia" coming out next month through Verizon and I might just wait for feedback on that one before I decide whether to try another Storm or not. Either way, I still suggest to folks they try their Storm cameras out just to make sure they work properly. RIM can't fix the problem unless people who have it report it.
    11-23-08 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD