I will not apologize for the bad pun.

So I just received my Storm (Made in Mexico on January 12, 2009), and I was ABSOLUTELY AMAZED by the fact that nothing appears to be wrong with it. It runs very quickly (the accelerometer works so well that sometimes the screen changes orientation even if I tilt it only slightly), the screen clicks beautifully and is very responsive. I'm assuming it is running the latest official OS and nothing newer, so what gives?

I'm sure people have legitimate grievances with the phone- I have never doubted that. But based on my brief experience with it (after playing for a minute* I realized I should probably charge the battery), I just don't see how anyone can say that it is inherently a terrible phone- unless they hate touch screens, of course.

I guess reading the mass panic and endless stream of complaints on this forum made me really lower my expectations for the device, so much so that I was SHOCKED to find nothing wrong with it.

With that said, just because my device is in excellent condition doesn't mean I won't run into problems with the OS. What are the major bugs I should expect to encounter? And since I -just- got my Storm, what do you think are the first things I should do? I already plan on changing the settings to optimize performance and battery life, but beyond that, as a first time BlackBerry user, I have no idea where to begin.

There are lots of great posts for me to refer to that are not device specific, but what about Storm-specific threads? Is there one I've overlooked?

* By "minute" I mean about 5 minutes.
    01-26-09 04:14 PM
    My replacement phone (Made in Mexico) is 1000% better than the original (Made in Canada).
    01-26-09 04:16 PM
    Mine is made in Mexico.. I can see it under my sticker under the battery... Just have the click issue... but a folder piece of paper is the most awesome fix...
    01-26-09 04:17 PM
    Grats on your new phone, you'll enjoy it, and for my experience, it is pretty smooth most of the time. But on the few occasions it acts up (mostly when you want to show it off to someone{the reason I don't show it off anymore}) it is very frustrating.
    01-26-09 04:17 PM
    First and foremost Grats on the Storm man you wont be upset even with all the issues i have had i will not get rid of my storm. Also welcome to the crew here at CB.com

it seems to sound like phones that were made this month January 2009 are in much better working condition then previous phones. Refurbished devices are simply a joke. Its seems to me like they just throw them in a box slap some new protective covers on them and send them out hoping some fool doesnt see the issue the first user had with it. #5 is coming to my door now (refurbished) fingers crossed on this one. If its not good ill be calling verizon calmly and asking if they would please just send me a new device made within this month please.

As far as bugs with the OS its nice i like the OS it needs for of course its fairly new but the more you read on here and the more you use your BB you will see the minor bugs it has. If you want try some of the leaked versions but those are also buggy. One of my favorite was .85 but im back to .75 so i can send this one back when i get my new one.
    Last edited by SRMartin15; 01-26-09 at 04:23 PM.
    01-26-09 04:20 PM
    Welcome to CB land!! you can try this link which has a wealth of info and tips/tricks.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/
    Also 3rd party apps sub-formum can fill you in on just about anything you want to add to your Storm. finally, use the Newbie section-it also has a wealth of info. .75OS is the official OS and is probably on your phone and that seems to be the most stable to date. Good luck and again-welcome.
    01-26-09 04:22 PM
    Grats on your new phone, you'll enjoy it, and for my experience, it is pretty smooth most of the time. But on the few occasions it acts up (mostly when you want to show it off to someone{the reason I don't show it off anymore}) it is very frustrating.
    I must have jinxed myself mentioning the accelerometer's awesomeness, because when I tried to show it off to my grandpa it got stuck in landscape mode. (LOL) I'm not sure if that was because it's plugged in and charging or because the OS sucks. *shrugs* Either way I am definitely crazy about it and can't wait to start using it.

Can anyone tell me how long I should charge it? I know it needs to be fully charged (until the bolt icon disappears), but I think I read somewhere that that takes about 7 hours, and somewhere else that I should leave it charging for a full 24 hours. I guess time will tell.
    01-26-09 04:25 PM
    your not gonna experience many issues with .75 OS which i assume you have
    01-26-09 04:29 PM
    lmao, exactly.

"Yah man, check this out!....umm...ok, hang on (back up to portrait, press the 'end' key)...wait, ok...check this out!"
    01-26-09 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD