I searched the forum before I posted, so if I still happened to miss it, please post where I can find it.

This has now happened with two storms on two different OS's. I never used the .75, but it has now happened on the .109 and the .113 OS.

I will be on a call, holding the phone with my hand, not pressing any buttons, and the calls will just mute. I can hear the other party just fine, they cant hear me. My screen shows I am not in mute, and even if I hit mute then unmute, it does not change anything. Sometimes if I hit speaker then change back it will work, but not always. I am not hitting the screen with my cheek, I am not holding my finger over the microphone. I am at a loss. I have tried master resets and having no 3rd party apps installed, but it still happens. Other storm users I know do not have this issue, and from what I searched on here no one else has this issue. I am not putting it past me doing something, but if I am , I have no clue what I am doing to cause this.

Anyone have any insight?? It is frustrating enough for me to want to change back to a curve, or even my trusty 7130e, So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!
    04-16-09 10:11 AM
    Yes - if you are getting this on 2 different OS's AND you aren't touching the screen, this would indicate faulty hardware. Return your Storm.
    04-16-09 10:53 AM
    Yes - if you are getting this on 2 different OS's AND you aren't touching the screen, this would indicate faulty hardware. Return your Storm.
    I have already replaced the Storm, this is happeneing again on the second one as well.
    04-16-09 11:08 AM
    get a third!
    04-16-09 11:10 AM
    This was happening to me too for a while.
    My ear was pressing against the mute button!
    You need to install Talk Lock or Storm Lock
    Blackberry Freeware - Free Software

This will lock the screen while your on a call!

G
    04-16-09 11:18 AM
    This was happening to me too for a while.
    My ear was pressing against the mute button!
    You need to install Talk Lock or Storm Lock

This will lock the screen while your on a call!

G
    If my ear was pressing against the mute button, wouldnt it show that I was muted? Just curious, because when I get muted out, The button still says "mute" not "mute off". My ear is not pressing anything, I am not holding the phone against my shoulder or anything to activate the screen.
    04-16-09 11:38 AM
    Yeah... shes ****ed then!
    Either that or at some point in your life you have been genetically modified by Aliens and your head is transmitting a MUTE signal to the phone
    04-16-09 11:45 AM
    I had this happen last night I actually plugged my headset in out of frustration and was un muted.
    Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 11:54 AM
    Yeah... shes ****ed then!
    Either that or at some point in your life you have been genetically modified by Aliens and your head is transmitting a MUTE signal to the phone
    I figured that was it. I opted for the head prob as opposed to the anal probe. If i would have known it was going to sour my storm experience I may have decided...oh well you get where I am going.

I will try one of those lock programs again just to see if it helps. I no sooner posted the thread, got a call and it happened again. I still think it is something I am doing or have set, I just think two storms doing the same thing is too coincidental. I dunno.....
    04-16-09 11:55 AM
    I had this happen last night I actually plugged my headset in out of frustration and was un muted.
    Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    WAHOOOO I am not the only one!!! Has it only happened to you just once? Mine is here and there. Sometimes within the first 30 seconds, sometimes after 15-20 minutes. I waited on the phone with my auto insurance comapny about a windshield replacement, got someone after being transfered and put on hold after 15 minutes, then boom, it muted. I almost threw the phone in the trash.
    04-16-09 11:57 AM
    do you use the wired headset?

i had this problem with 109 where if i had used the headset at any time it would automatically default to the headset even if it wasnt connected. the only solution was to plug in and unplug the headset (or any headphones) while on a call. i havent had this problem on the newer leaks, and it never happened to me on .75 either.
    04-16-09 01:41 PM
    do you use the wired headset?

i had this problem with 109 where if i had used the headset at any time it would automatically default to the headset even if it wasnt connected. the only solution was to plug in and unplug the headset (or any headphones) while on a call. i havent had this problem on the newer leaks, and it never happened to me on .75 either.
    Negative, no headsets at all. I am going to try to follow it a bit more to see if I am doing something special to see if a pattern comes up. Its just getting really annoying.....
    04-16-09 10:20 PM
    Just as a test, try downloading and installing TalkLock. It's free, and very easy to use. Let us know if that solves the problem.

John
    04-17-09 09:11 AM
    This just started happening to me. I don't think I was pressing any buttons but maybe I was, anyway, I just downloaded the free screen lock for calls. It works fine but if you didn't want to do that you also can unmute by pressing the bb key and unmute from there. I also learned that the hard way. Good Luck
    04-17-09 09:26 AM
    If you still maintain that your face isn't touching the screen when on a call, then you need to get another replacement.

There is no need for you to put up with faulty hardware.

If I were you, I would try one of the screen locking programs though - just in case - as already mentioned by a couple of other posters.

I have already replaced the Storm, this is happeneing again on the second one as well.
    04-17-09 10:59 AM
    If you still maintain that your face isn't touching the screen when on a call, then you need to get another replacement.

There is no need for you to put up with faulty hardware.

If I were you, I would try one of the screen locking programs though - just in case - as already mentioned by a couple of other posters.
    I will try one of the lock programs just to give it a whirl. I am for sure I am not touching the screen, becuase if I was I could just hit "mute off" and keep going. The mute button still says "mute" and even if I hit it a couple times it does not change the issue. Its intermittent, but I will surely keep everyone posted if I figure out whats causing it, or if a 3rd party lock app works.

Cheers!
    04-17-09 11:24 AM
    Just another example of how poorly though out and designed this device is. I have the same problem, my ear pressing the mute button, RIM should have meditated on the soft button placement and functionality a little more.
    04-17-09 11:42 AM
    I personally don't have this problem, but I agree with you - either that, or have a 'built-in' screen lock for when one is on a call!

Just another example of how poorly though out and designed this device is. I have the same problem, my ear pressing the mute button, RIM should have meditated on the soft button placement and functionality a little more.
    04-17-09 12:34 PM
    So question -
    My storm just started doing this whole microphone problem thing. The microphone did not work in handset mode, speaker mode, or even with the headset. The only thing that made the microphone function again was taking the battery out. No problems with the sound cutting out during calls. But if I hang up and then try to use the phone again, the microphone refuses to work - I hear people but they don't hear me.
    04-22-09 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD