Hi folks, just want to know if the issues i am experiencing and some what similar and how did you resolve them.

- Storm 9530 running .122 from Bell.

1-Blackberry App world doesn't work, when my phone was not on BES, it worked perfectly.

2-Memory always low no matter how many apps I deleted. Is having the Storm on BES use up more memory than normal?

3-Laggy and slow browser, even the Winmo based HTC touch puts the Storm to shame.

Thanks in advance
    05-13-09 05:28 PM
    all traffic is routed through your companys BES, so the speed of your browser is limited to the latency and the bandwidth of there internet connection.

also they may have a policy to block app world, as they control all the security between you and the internet now, as well as monitor everything you do.

I never understood why ppl with personally owned blackberry would wanna be on the company BES. I am a IT administrator, i admin about 25 blackberry, and i have my own personal blackberry, and that blackberry is going no where near the company BES, i enjoy my privacy thank you very much.
    05-13-09 05:39 PM
    all traffic is routed through your companys BES, so the speed of your browser is limited to the latency and the bandwidth of there internet connection.

also they may have a policy to block app world, as they control all the security between you and the internet now, as well as monitor everything you do.

I never understood why ppl with personally owned blackberry would wanna be on the company BES. I am a IT administrator, i admin about 25 blackberry, and i have my own personal blackberry, and that blackberry is going no where near the company BES, i enjoy my privacy thank you very much.
    +1

Like he said above, if you have your own personal BB, and wanted company email you could set all that up through BIS and ahve saved yourself a nice chunk by not needing to pay the carrier's enterprise activation fees, ETC.

Joining your storm to a bes is like having it assimilated by the borg... it is now part of a collective and all is controlled by the BES... you can always have your BES activation deleted, and have to deall with a thousnad spamlike messages of data trying to be sent between your device and a no onger associated server, but fear not the quick fix is to uninstall your DM and reinstall it using the option to use it for personal use only, stay clear of anything enterprise...

Once you have your BB completely removed from the hive mind and back under your control, you should notice improvements in everything you are being irritated with now...

Mind you that a BES on the other hand does allow for streamlined message handling, keeps constant snapshots of all of your apps, pics, music, everything on your BB in case it gets messed up, also pushes outlook data out to youur BB much more effectively than BIS and DM...

All of that said, you need to decide what it is you want and determine what is better for you.....
    05-13-09 06:49 PM
    Being fairly new to BBs, I didn't realize at first the defaults on my Storm were set to Blackberry Browser (goes thru company's server) instead of Internet Browser (goes thru provider's server). I had some sites blocked until I switched to Internet Browser...no problems since then. Browser is faster also. Perhaps this is your issue.
    05-13-09 06:56 PM
    +1

Like he said above, if you have your own personal BB, and wanted company email you could set all that up through BIS and ahve saved yourself a nice chunk by not needing to pay the carrier's enterprise activation fees, ETC.

Joining your storm to a bes is like having it assimilated by the borg... it is now part of a collective and all is controlled by the BES... you can always have your BES activation deleted, and have to deall with a thousnad spamlike messages of data trying to be sent between your device and a no onger associated server, but fear not the quick fix is to uninstall your DM and reinstall it using the option to use it for personal use only, stay clear of anything enterprise...

Once you have your BB completely removed from the hive mind and back under your control, you should notice improvements in everything you are being irritated with now...

Mind you that a BES on the other hand does allow for streamlined message handling, keeps constant snapshots of all of your apps, pics, music, everything on your BB in case it gets messed up, also pushes outlook data out to youur BB much more effectively than BIS and DM...

All of that said, you need to decide what it is you want and determine what is better for you.....
    Care to explain how you can set company mail up through BIS? That is all I use the BES for, and would love to get off of it and drop that extra monthly fee.

Our mail is behind the firewall, so I dont know anyway I can set it up through the BIS.
    05-13-09 07:03 PM
    Hi folks, just want to know if the issues i am experiencing and some what similar and how did you resolve them.

- Storm 9530 running .122 from Bell.

1-Blackberry App world doesn't work, when my phone was not on BES, it worked perfectly.

2-Memory always low no matter how many apps I deleted. Is having the Storm on BES use up more memory than normal?

3-Laggy and slow browser, even the Winmo based HTC touch puts the Storm to shame.

Thanks in advance

The previous answers you got may be correct but they didn't address your low memory issue which is probably not BES related. If it was me I would solve that problem first by reviewing the applications you have on the phone a doing some reading here on ways to increase you free memory.

I might be mistaken but I don't believe accessing the internet with the browser routes thru the BES.

I know I don't experience the problems you listed and I'm on BES. Also the phone I use is in my name but the company pays my bill and my life is extremely easier with my phone syncing my email and calendar with my computer's Outlook.
    05-13-09 07:06 PM
    You can go to Browser-Options-Browser Configuration and set your browser to Internet Browser instead of Blackberry Browser. This will have everything BUT your email coming thru BIS (provider) instead of BES. This could improve speed and prevent blocking of sites (& monitoring of sites). I have had a very positive experience doing this.
    Someone correct me if I'm steering anyone wrong.

EDIT: Also go to Options-Advanced Options-Browser and select Internet Browser for both menus.
    05-13-09 07:08 PM
    Care to explain how you can set company mail up through BIS? That is all I use the BES for, and would love to get off of it and drop that extra monthly fee.

Our mail is behind the firewall, so I dont know anyway I can set it up through the BIS.
    Yeah- This would be great. Would it still sync calendar, notes, tasks etc if it is through the BIS instead of the BES. If so, how do you do it?
    05-13-09 07:30 PM
    Yeah- This would be great. Would it still sync calendar, notes, tasks etc if it is through the BIS instead of the BES. If so, how do you do it?
    Just getting the mail would suffice for me, I could live without the sync.
    05-13-09 07:41 PM
    I have a personal berry on my company BES but the company pays my bill, and I rely on every aspect of the BES everyday.

Having to USB to the computer to sync is no good in my book. I have too many people make frequent changes to my calendar to not have real time on the go sync.

BES is the best thing ever if you ask me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 07:43 PM
    Having a personal BB getting Email, Calendar, and Contacts pushed by BES, AND the browser set to BIS (Internet Browser setting) really is the best of both worlds. Unrestricted internet access, but the benefits of BES Push.
    05-13-09 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD