so theres someone on the forums running around saying hat the .191 leak give acces to this new HSDPA beta network that VZW is testing, and then theres abunch of us saying he's just trolling. i really wanna hear it from a trusted source (Crucial, Radio, etc.) WTF is this guy talking about is it ligit or is he really just trolling????
    its hard to believe that someone could really just make a that **** up, so lets have at it.... who knows what??????
    09-13-09 07:21 PM
    I would like CX or Radio to comment on this too. This guy makes it "sound" good, but there are some pretty big holes in his story.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 09-13-09 at 07:24 PM. Reason: oops
    09-13-09 07:24 PM
    those holes are "NDA's"
    so he claims....lmao
    09-13-09 07:25 PM
    Is this new network anything like the LTE? If so then it is not true. The storm hardware cannot support that.
    But I am no insider.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 07:31 PM
    The storm CAN support HSDPA, on European frequencies. Though Telus is a CDMA provider and rolling out hsdpa, so I really don't know what's going on for sure. I'd love to get an insider on this lol.
    09-13-09 07:38 PM
    I read the BS this morning/last night and i knew there was something about the current qualcomm chip that didnt allow it so i dug it up a little while and since this post is here its a perfect place to put it

Thank you to Civic once again this should clear it up as far as i am concerned

The Storm is not LTE ready. It currently uses a Qualcomm MSM7600 chipset which does not have provisions for LTE. Qualcomm didn't introduce LTE capabilities until the MDM9xxx series of chipsets.
    Based on my previous post, obviously a hardware change because the chipset would need to be changed. Not only that, but the MDM9xxx series of chipsets are NOT backwards compatible with current EVDO Rev 0/A networks, so don't expect a phone to be designed to work on the current network and the future LTE network. Just won't happen. It's either one or the other. VZW is not slated to begin trials of LTE until late 2008 at the earliest and Qualcomm won't go full force on the MDM9xxx chipsets until sometime in 2009. I say we won't see VZW going to LTE until 2010 at the earliest and that's being optimistic.
    Now i also have look the the chipset in good detail and saw that there doesnt seem to be anything supporting 700 mhz either. So again this would be dealbreaker i think. This part i am not totally sure about because i didnt study these chips in vast detail. Obviously the phones would work on the new network in some way just like older non 3g phones do currently.

So take it for what you want. To me, yes the storm will operate on the network, whether it be a service book provsioning issue i highly doubt it.
    09-13-09 07:46 PM
    I think some of you are confusing the 3G simbol that you're seeing instead of 1XEV. One of two things is happening. It's either a bug or those of you without a brain out there have driven RIM to change 1XEV to read as 3G because apparently you're been so brainwashed that unless you see it say 3G, you don't think you're on EVDO Rev.0 or Rev.A speeds. Take your pick.
    09-13-09 08:08 PM
    I highly doubt that Verizon is going to ANY kind of GSM network. Their next network will be LTE. Or so they have said. Now the Canadian carriers are another story.
    09-13-09 08:12 PM
    If you as me, switching 1XEV to 3G is just going to confuse things even more. What will it drop to if it's not an EVDO connection and just digital?... D? Seems stupid to satisfy a small bunch of people who just need to read the manual and stop asking the same stupid question.
    09-13-09 09:20 PM
    If you as me, switching 1XEV to 3G is just going to confuse things even more. What will it drop to if it's not an EVDO connection and just digital?... D? Seems stupid to satisfy a small bunch of people who just need to read the manual and stop asking the same stupid question.
    i agree!
    09-13-09 09:23 PM
    I'm with Civic, it's ridiculous, they should have just left it alone. We shall see.
    09-13-09 09:26 PM
    I think some of you are confusing the 3G simbol that you're seeing instead of 1XEV. One of two things is happening. It's either a bug or those of you without a brain out there have driven RIM to change 1XEV to read as 3G because apparently you're been so brainwashed that unless you see it say 3G, you don't think you're on EVDO Rev.0 or Rev.A speeds. Take your pick.
    Agree with Civic on this one, all the non cb pre noobs don't know what 1XEVmeans, so they are making it stupid proof with the 3G

They are America's most reliable 3G network after all.

Customer: "Hey what does this 1XEV mean? Isn't it supposed to be 3G??"

Salesrep: "Yes sir it is 3G"

Customer: "I don't believe it, its not 3G!"

Salesrep: Puts gun in mouth

Programer in Waterloo: "alright fine I will change the damn symbol!"
    Last edited by Valace2; 09-13-09 at 09:48 PM.
    09-13-09 09:44 PM
    I just figured it was marketing. ATT has everyone believing 3G is the only way to go. Verizon seems to have lost the marketing war and decided to switch tactics. Just take a listen to the average guy on the street talk about it. As you stated, people don't know what 1XEV is unless you read the manual. Very few do that anymore.

If ya can't beat em, join em.
    Last edited by pkn068; 09-13-09 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Or.....just what Valace said
    09-13-09 09:48 PM
    Agree with Civic on this one, all the non cb pre noobs don't know what 1XEVmeans, so they are making it stupid proof with the 3G

I agree with Valace. It is purely marketing. They never say they have the "largest Capital letters 1XEV network" because no one knows what that is. SO, they changed the symbol so that the n00bs calling the helpline can just shut-up and realize that they are on a fast network.

3G is known, so they changed the symbol, simple and that is it.
    09-14-09 10:15 AM
    I agree. Sprint is now marketing 4G.
    09-14-09 11:41 AM
    I agree. Sprint is now marketing 4G.
    And if you break it down, Sprint's 4G is nothing more really then WIFI with UMA support... certainly nothing new.
    09-14-09 12:10 PM
    im just kind of shocked that for the past couple of days in various threads that this convo has gone the way it has. the main basis for all of this was people not wanting to understand that a symbol was changed ,thats it. whats so hard to understand there? ive seen various people try to explain it over and over but it didnt seem like it was sinking in. again how people dont get this i dont know. then the post about hspdma or whatever it is appears. i dont know any of that stuff so i cant and wont get into that stuff. more or less its been shot down. Patches i believe said some stuff about it and now i see civic has done the same. (have no clue what civic said but sounded good ) all that is trying to be explained to everyone is that IT WAS JUST A SYMBOL CHANGE. THATS IT.
    09-14-09 12:33 PM

HAHAHAHA ... yea people that work at my company have asked me this same scenario ... "i thought my storm was 3G, but doesn't say it" HAHAHA
    09-14-09 12:50 PM
    Verizon should just take a line from the movie "back to the future" and starting telling people that their new network is powered by a "flux capacitor" and that when you "hit 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious sh1t!"

09-14-09 01:28 PM
    I just want the carriers to switch the network naming to Roman Numerals because that makes everything classier... "The world's fastest IIIG network", Sprint's new IVG network... see, classy!
    09-14-09 02:29 PM
    09-14-09 02:39 PM
    WCDMA to HSDPA (and HSUPA) is basically software related changes.....

VZW is not using this...it's not LTE....so it's all bull hooey
    09-14-09 02:43 PM
    Verizon should just take a line from the movie "back to the future" and starting telling people that their new network is powered by a "flux capacitor" and that when you "hit 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious sh1t!"

Now that is freakin hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!! (im stealing the pic, too good to pass up) lol
    09-16-09 11:13 AM

there are two issues here

1) customers are stupid. all of them, no exceptions

2) some carrier decided that using the specific name of the network technology wasn't "catchy" enough, so they re branded the network with a generic title like 3G...honestly the GSM "3G" network is all hype and no substance...

this topic irks me to no end due to the fact that the "lay" user can't just use Google and do the research for themselves...they take the word of anyone on the internet...so i say they deserve the confusion and frustration, they deserve it.
    09-16-09 11:18 AM
    moral of the story?

do your own research, don't take my word for it...i could say a lot of **** around here and people will just believe it because i have a high post count, or my join date is older than theirs, or i use a lot of fancy words that they don't understand...doesn't mean i really know what i'm talking about. there's nothing wrong with challenging the info you're being given, unfortunately that is a trait long lost in humanity
    09-16-09 11:26 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD