I was wondering if anybody could tell me if there is an app that shows caller ID on your phone like what you get with a landline. I don't mean just the number or if one of the people saved in your phonebook calls, I am talking any phone that calls your blackberry. On my landline I get number and name or location. I am looking for an app that will work for this. If you are using one let me know and how well it works, and a price. Thanks for any help.

Medman
    07-24-10 10:16 AM
    My phone came with CityID and I'm with Verizon. It's 1.99/month. I tried the free two week trial and it was ok. All it did was add the city based on area code.
    07-24-10 10:30 AM
    Try MrNumber, formerly Skydeck. Its free.
    07-24-10 10:54 AM
    My phone came with CityID and I'm with Verizon. It's 1.99/month. I tried the free two week trial and it was ok. All it did was add the city based on area code.
    I also tried the free version. Great idea, but then again if someone has a NYC number and now lives in LA you still don't know where the call came from. Also, I did not think the $24 a year is worth it. I can throw it away on some other piece of software.
    07-24-10 02:50 PM
    yeah I wasn't all that impressed with city ID either it came with my phone too. I will give at look at mr number. Thanks
    07-24-10 05:06 PM
    Yeah City ID sucks for the price. It was cool when it was free but VZW gets enough of my money. $2 a month would make that the most expensive app on my berry. I don't think so.

I wa curious about MrNumber though. It looks like you have to have wifi running in order to get the caller ID instantly. Is this true?
    07-24-10 05:46 PM
    Where can you get mrnumber?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 05:48 PM
    Mynumber looks very cool and useful but does it always run? It's always listed in running apps
    07-24-10 09:05 PM
    I been using Mr. Number for a few days but I noticed that the name won't show up until after the call. So basically if I don't recognize the number I ignore it then Mr. Number will show me who is calling. Hmm I want something to show up while I'm actually receiving the all like a landline caller ID
    07-26-10 01:53 PM
    Hi everyone, we've been seeing a few threads about Mr. Number so we thought it was high time we joined.

On average Mr. Number returns a name for 70% of unknown numbers that our users throw at us. On GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile) we can deliver that result while the phone is still ringing; on CDMA phones (Verizon and Sprint) we cannot, unless you are on WiFi at the same time. We return a result after the call.

Voice and Internet just don't mix on CDMA unfortunately. Apps that only tell you the city and state for a given area code aren't affected by this because there are only 350 valid area codes in the US and they store all the data on the phone.

@simonintx Mr. Number has to run in the background to be there when your phone rings. But the app only hits the network before and after a call or text from an unknown number, so battery use is negligible.

Hope that helps!
    07-27-10 10:19 PM
    Hi everyone, we've been seeing a few threads about Mr. Number so we thought it was high time we joined.

On average Mr. Number returns a name for 70% of unknown numbers that our users throw at us. On GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile) we can deliver that result while the phone is still ringing; on CDMA phones (Verizon and Sprint) we cannot, unless you are on WiFi at the same time. We return a result after the call.

Voice and Internet just don't mix on CDMA unfortunately. Apps that only tell you the city and state for a given area code aren't affected by this because there are only 350 valid area codes in the US and they store all the data on the phone.

@simonintx Mr. Number has to run in the background to be there when your phone rings. But the app only hits the network before and after a call or text from an unknown number, so battery use is negligible.

Hope that helps!
    YES! Thanks for clearing up my questions as well (I am with Verizon). Are there any real advantages to having it on a CDMA phone since it doesn't tell you until AFTER the call?
    07-28-10 06:40 AM
    Cory,

Lots of people tell us they find Mr. Number useful on Verizon because we can tell you calls whether or not they leave voicemail, and often save you the bother of checking voicemail if they do. You can also look up mystery numbers that show up on your home or work line.

Mr. Number is also a great contact backup solution, and we have more features in the pipeline.
    07-28-10 02:02 PM
    I am using it now and so far so good! have only gotten a few calls so hopefully it will do the trick. Thanks for you help all and to you Mr. Number.
    07-30-10 11:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD