Does anyone find it odd that this official 5.0 OS was built on October 21,2009 at 9:50 PM and was primed for release on 10/25 to the masses by Verizon?

I mean what about all this "testing" that takes weeks to get through?
    10-26-09 07:04 PM
    Each build only changes 1 or 2 bugs. They don't need weeks for testing anymore.
    10-26-09 07:06 PM
    Each build only changes 1 or 2 bugs. They don't need weeks for testing anymore.
    You keep believing that. RIM has a reputation for fixing one thing and breaking 3 other things while they are messing with the code.

If it were that simple every OS that get released to the partners for testing would be good to go as an update.
    10-26-09 07:10 PM
    Hello. I'm not reading or finding an abundance of positives in upgrading to the new 5.0.0.328 I've got a Storm and I'm running .148, yet I want the flick scrolling, etc.
    Anybody want to extoll the virtues of the new OS?
    10-26-09 07:19 PM
    Civic pointed this out. Bascially VZW had 1 day to test and that is it. So it means they didnt really do any good testing at all. Kinda opposite of the normally testing process wouldnt you say.
    10-26-09 08:00 PM
    Hello. I'm not reading or finding an abundance of positives in upgrading to the new 5.0.0.328 I've got a Storm and I'm running .148, yet I want the flick scrolling, etc.
    Anybody want to extoll the virtues of the new OS?
    if your coming from .148 its like night and day.
    10-26-09 08:05 PM
    This just kills me. We get the first official 5.0 on our Storms, before any other device, including the fabled Storm 2, and that OS works better then any OS to date on this device and people still want to complain.

Apparently, VZW testing has seen major improvement in 5.0 and has seen that each build is fixing the defects in the change log without breaking 3 more things. Therefore they were more comfortable pushing this through. I think Patches noted this in a few places. Basically, that RIM seems to have their Sh^t together here and it is not like playing Russian roulette with the builds so much anymore.

I mean, am I wrong, or is the OS running the Device better then any prior OS? I saw one thread where someone was worried about over clocking for Pete's sake!?

I mean i know the platform as a whole has a long way to go to truly complete with Android, or Apple, but based on where this Device was a year ago until now...I bought the Storm because I felt the hardware was well ahead of the software and that RIM would get the software right. It looks like they are definitely getting there.

(steps of soap box)

Thank you all for your time. : )
    10-26-09 08:48 PM
    I think while most of us who have run leaks would agree this or 323 are the best by far. I havent run 328 yet but from the findings its no different other than VVM working some other small stuff.

It kills me to read about all the people who have been on 148 until now and how much they are complaining. The freaking dim on landscape is just like color banding. Its actually making people want to downgrade! I know the dimming has been a factor for many many months but i dont remember what 4.7 build it starting getting noticed more. I swear my phone has done it almost since i bought it though.

Either way is a huge step and i think people just cant take change anymore these days
    10-26-09 09:02 PM
    I think while most of us who have run leaks would agree this or 323 are the best by far. I havent run 328 yet but from the findings its no different other than VVM working some other small stuff.

It kills me to read about all the people who have been on 148 until now and how much they are complaining. The freaking dim on landscape is just like color banding. Its actually making people want to downgrade! I know the dimming has been a factor for many many months but i dont remember what 4.7 build it starting getting noticed more. I swear my phone has done it almost since i bought it though.

Either way is a huge step and i think people just cant take change anymore these days
    (Chuckles about dimming)

So right. I was reading that whole thing in the finding and fixes this morning. It was so inane I was going to login and post something like "On 4.7 or .230 when my music shuffled in media player it never seemed to match my mood, forcing me to forward through many songs and now on .328 the music totally matches my mood! Great Job RIM and VZW!"

I mean some guy was saying the Pandora issues are RIM's fault since Pandora used to work. My other favorite was the guys asking VZW to fix the no available channels bug on T Mobile.

Frikkin epic.
    10-26-09 09:23 PM
    (Chuckles about dimming)

So right. I was reading that whole thing in the finding and fixes this morning. It was so inane I was going to login and post something like "On 4.7 or .230 when my music shuffled in media player it never seemed to match my mood, forcing me to forward through many songs and now on .328 the music totally matches my mood! Great Job RIM and VZW!"

I mean some guy was saying the Pandora issues are RIM's fault since Pandora used to work. My other favorite was the guys asking VZW to fix the no available channels bug on T Mobile.

Frikkin epic.
    yeah that was a good one lol
    10-26-09 09:28 PM
    Maybe this is a nave thought, but is there a chance that after a week or so there will be enough bugs reported to RIM and VZW that they release an updated version of 328 or some sort of patch? I'm admittedly not very clear on the workings of the OS updates, b ut trying to learn. And frankly right now I'm really hesitant to plug my phone into DM and let the update happen. Every time I get close to doing it, I read another post about a problem that I couldn't fix if it happened to me, or a disabed feature that I like. Am I being nervous for nothing? Can't imagine how so many posters here have these nightmarish experiences.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 09:51 PM
    if they release another build, its just that another build (.34x or whatever) and i highly doubt it. I am shocked they release the OS they did as it is.
    10-26-09 09:58 PM
    if they release another build, its just that another build (.34x or whatever) and i highly doubt it. I am shocked they release the OS they did as it is.
    Couldnt they just change the Platform and keep the same App Version? So in theory it would still be .338 but with a different platform... Exactly what ATT did with the Bold OS...
    10-26-09 10:06 PM
    I'm kind of confused because I refuse to believe RIM finished building .328 5 days ago. I mean jlevy was over at BBOS weeks ago talking about how .340 had a bad radio. Maybe they re-packaged it, adding "Verizon_Wireless" at the end, and that's where you get the build date from? I'm open to the suggestion that jlevy was talking out his a$$, but he's leaked before so seems like he would have access to that kind of information.
    10-26-09 10:14 PM
    they could but knowing they are past 328 anyway i dont see the point. I kinda think VZW screwed the pooch on this one will have to deal with the complaints they get. Its tons better than the 4.7 builds and the public will hopefully like it better than some of the people here on CB.
    10-26-09 10:23 PM
    I'm kind of confused because I refuse to believe RIM finished building .328 5 days ago. I mean jlevy was over at BBOS weeks ago talking about how .340 had a bad radio. Maybe they re-packaged it, adding "Verizon_Wireless" at the end, and that's where you get the build date from? I'm open to the suggestion that jlevy was talking out his a$$, but he's leaked before so seems like he would have access to that kind of information.
    it wasnt 'built' on that date, it was compiled and sent to VZW that day basically
    10-26-09 10:24 PM
    Well a VZW rep told me we are getting a new update when the S2 drops since they use the same software. LOL. Fukin VZW Reps.

Funny thing is she was nice and didn't blink about saying S2 was coming 10/28. But she just was confused on the 2 devices using Slightly different software.

Nah, I think .328 will be it for a while. Maybe if the testing is really easy and streamlined as Patches talked about they might update sooner then 6 months, but with all the android stuff they are doing next month, I think it would be next year at the earliest.
    10-27-09 09:16 AM
    .328 is a vast improvement over a lot of users Storm experiences but we'll always find the bugs. I'm content with it for now though I'd love to see a little tighter version of 5.0 released..... S2 coming out and the big Android push by VZW will most likely put on hold any immediate update to S1.
    10-27-09 09:40 AM
    My question is, how many out there having problems are updating from leaked Operating Systems?

I updated from the official .148 release and other than reinstalling a few minor apps, the phone has been working great for me.
    10-27-09 09:47 AM
    it wasnt 'built' on that date, it was compiled and sent to VZW that day basically
    howarmat is correct. Without going into too much detail over the software development release process, the build date has no relationship to the amount of testing. We do a full build (using Cruise Control) every three or four hours. The build that gets shipped to production would be compiled withing a few days of the release date. That being said, we would be testing right up to the release date and only critical fixes would be committed to that branch.
    10-27-09 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD