A lot of sites I visit with the BB browser on the Storm load very slowly. Yet when I tether the phone to my laptop, browser speed with Firefox or IE is very good. Is this expected behavior or an anomaly? I would expect the data transfer to be the same either way. Is the mini-browser a bottleneck?
    01-10-09 08:08 AM
    I am probably wrong but isn't data sent to the storm browser compressed before its sent and needs to be uncompressed when it arrives. Yet when you're tethering there's no compression making it seem faster

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 08:20 AM
    I am probably wrong but isn't data sent to the storm browser compressed before its sent and needs to be uncompressed when it arrives. Yet when you're tethering there's no compression making it seem faster

Could be. But it is not a matter of "seems" faster - the pages simply render to a readable presentation much slower on the BB. It could be possible that Firefox on the laptop is loading the page in a more quickly readable manner so you can look at the page while additional, non-essential components continue to download while the BB fails to display a readable page until all -- or most -- of the page is down.
    01-10-09 09:33 AM
    One part of perceived speed Is bandwidth, the other is cpu and os presenting the data to you on screen. Your laptop does the second part much faster.

01-10-09 09:42 AM
    It's no secret, the BB browser isn't the fastest thing in the world. If you try using something like opera mini you'll see how much faster it is because the sites are already uncompressed at the servers.
    Last edited by zerog6; 01-10-09 at 09:47 AM.
    01-10-09 09:44 AM
    Displaying a web page involves initiating a http request, caching and indexing multiple text and data objects, parsing the html code, overlaying the css, processing the javascript and dhtml, rendering the page layout, and displaying the graphical elements on the screen device.

Your laptop does all of these faster than your phone, even if the network connection itself goes at the same speed.
    01-10-09 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD