I'm running Verizon .75 and am having a problem with my browser. Some websites which worked fine yesterday will not work today. I get an error message saying "a problem was encountered while trying to render the page". Some of these are CNN, YouTube, and Accuweather. Only a few sites work. I use the Blackberry option under Browser Identification, but have tried all three settings and still no luck. It's just wierd because these sites worked a few days ago with same settings. I already tried a few battery pulls. Any ideas?
    12-10-08 07:45 AM
    NOt sure if this would help or not but try clearing out your browsing history and all cache options. Just an idea.
    12-10-08 09:29 AM
    I get the same issue on various sites (Running .75). Some days they work, others they don't. I also get the "Error 413: Request Entity Too Large" on various sites that have worked at one point or another.

I've also tried clearing the cache and setting the browser to "Internet Browser" from "Blackberry" and it seems to make no difference.

Is anyone else having issues using the browser on "regular" sites, not downloading large images or movies?

Safari....it is not

Hopefully they will release updates to it in the near future.

Thanks
    -Dave
    12-10-08 09:55 AM
    Quick Bump....

Has anyone found the Storm's browser to be unreliable throwing errors constantly? My device says it has:
    Application Memory
    --Free Space: 15.7 MB

Device Memory
    --Total Space: 879.2MB
    --Free Space: 879.4MB

I don't think this should be a memory problem but it is very frustrating to not be able to actually *use* the browser because every other site generates an error

Thanks,
    -Dave
    12-11-08 09:54 AM
    That is really low for Application Memory. You might want to do a battery pull... It should go back up and also make your browser better.
    12-11-08 10:27 AM
    I pulled the battery and when it cleanly rebooted it had 19MB of Application Memory free.

On top of that today litterally every page I try to visit generates a HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable.

I've tried 10 different sites (including crackberry.com) and it says 503 for all of them.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    -Dave
    12-11-08 01:58 PM
    Sound like something is going wrong. Have you tried wiping your phone and reinstalling the OS?
    12-11-08 03:01 PM
    ugggggg....i really don't want to do that because then i'll have to re-activate it on our BES server and re-install my custom apps and re-configure the home screen etc....

It'd just be a total pain. Is there any way to just update the browser? Should I put Opera on it?

On a side note maybe you can describe the difference between Application Memory and Device Memory? I'm confused why I have 15Megs of App Memory free when I have over 800 megs of system memory?

Thanks
    12-11-08 03:20 PM
    Device memory is like the internal memory card for the phone... where things like pictures, music, video, etc. would be stored if you didn't save them to the memory card. It's where things like you phone numbers and calendar are stored. App Memory is the memory that the applications taht you have stored on your phone take up.

I don't know about Opera as I don't use it. I heard its still in the iffy stages for the Storm, according to others on this site.

It shouldn't be that hard to re-install your apps if you back them up before you reinstall the OS. However I am not a BB expert...
    12-11-08 03:22 PM
    I pulled the battery and when it cleanly rebooted it had 19MB of Application Memory free.

On top of that today litterally every page I try to visit generates a HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable.

I've tried 10 different sites (including crackberry.com) and it says 503 for all of them.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    -Dave
    I used to get this all the time on our BES. I found the answer in a BB tech forum. Go to Options>>>Advanced>>>Browser and set both to Internet browser. The open the browser>>>menu key>>>options>>>set first to internet browser and ID to blackberry browser. Never had a problem since.
    12-11-08 03:23 PM
    How many apps do you have stored on your phone?
    12-11-08 03:23 PM
    I used to get this all the time on our BES. I found the answer in a BB tech forum. Go to Options>>>Advanced>>>Browser and set both to Internet browser. The open the browser>>>menu key>>>options>>>set first to internet browser and ID to blackberry browser. Never had a problem since.
    There you go! Try that... I forgot about the part where you said you were on BES.
    12-11-08 03:24 PM
    Hey Everyone,

I Set both options in Options -> Advanced -> Browser to "Internet Browser" and I set Browser -> Menu Key -> Options -> Set to Internet Browser (not blackberry) and for ID i tried both BB and Firefox, I still get the 503 error on every URL

As for Apps I've installed I have:
    Gmail
    Google Maps
    Google Talk
    AIM
    Viigo
    Facebook
    Ziplorer
    and Radio Companion

That's it...I read the Blog post about Kevin putting like 30+ games on his bold at once so I'd hate to think that my Storm can't handle those 8 applications.

I'm a pretty savvy computer guy, but this is my first BB so i'm a little unsure of the best practices etc... but this browser flaking out just feels like it's a serious browser / bb problem.

Further Advice is appreciated!
    -Dave
    12-12-08 08:51 AM
    Next step: call Verizon and make sure you're account is privisioned correctly. Do a *228 option 1. Battery pull. I do not think it is a memory problem. Did you pull the batt after reseting browser config? We'll get it figured out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 09:19 AM
    Hmm, after this mornings battery pull it seems to be functioning (for now) so i'll keep an eye on it through out the day and see if it starts flaking out again.

Thanks everyone, I now am back to LOVING my storm instead of wishing it worked!
    12-12-08 09:42 AM
    I am also getting this "A problem occurred while trying to render the page" message. Could it be a network error? As time goes by there are going to be more and more Storm's in use, have they given enough thought as to the amount of network traffic this is going to create? I didn't use my old BB 1/4 as much as I use the Storm. ?????????
    12-12-08 11:06 AM
    That is different than a 503 error. I would clear your cache.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 11:11 AM
    I am also getting this "A problem occurred while trying to render the page" message. Could it be a network error? As time goes by there are going to be more and more Storm's in use, have they given enough thought as to the amount of network traffic this is going to create? I didn't use my old BB 1/4 as much as I use the Storm. ?????????
    I have gotten this a couple of times when the browser was running slow, but a quick reload of the page has cured it every time. Annoying if it is going to happen all the time, I know.
    12-12-08 12:04 PM
    Jason Thanks man you saved me about 10 hours and a hundred hail marys if i was cathlic with that little tidbit of info thanks again by the way iam Jason also thanks man
    12-15-08 11:59 PM
    I also get the "Page could not be rendered" error all the time. I also get the "Request entity is too large" all the time. it also sits there sayuing "requesting..........." forever.

its just another of the storms massive amount of bugs.
    12-16-08 12:03 AM
    I solved my problems by setting the browser to Internet Browser both in Options -> Advanced Options -> Browser and within the browser going to Options -> General Options and selecting Internet Browser, then disabling javascript. Click back, Save changes, Menu, then Close.

Pull the battery

Replace the battery

Pray....

After those steps I've had quite a plesant browsing experience on OS 4.7.0.75 on Verizon.

Best of luck!
    12-16-08 10:28 AM
    The original posting stated an issue with the following message, "A problem occurred while trying to render the page" I had been using my Pearl v4.5 to access Facebook for months untill without any change in my setting I started to get that message appearing while entering the site through my browser. I cleared the cache and logs, pulled the battery, removed the FB app and I still get that annoying message. Any advice?
    12-19-08 10:55 AM
    When you talk about clearing cache do you clear "pushed content" as well as content cache and cookie cache?
    12-19-08 11:17 AM
    I cleared the Content Cache, Pushed Content and Cookie Cache. Is that ok to do?
    12-19-08 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD