how does the browser on the storm2 compare to the iPhone? Does the Storm2 render full web pages like the iPhone? I am a power user and work in systems management space - so the thinking behind my question is what can the business/technical user expect from the browser?
    05-19-10 12:49 AM
    how does the browser on the storm2 compare to the iPhone? Does the Storm2 render full web pages like the iPhone? I am a power user and work in systems management space - so the thinking behind my question is what can the business/technical user expect from the browser?
    No, the browser isn't up to par with Safari Mobile. If you want full web pages, you should get an iphone, an Android or wait for BB OS 6 to be released.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by enb123; 05-19-10 at 06:24 AM.
    05-19-10 06:21 AM
    No, the browser isn't up to par with Safari Mobile. If you want full web pages, you should get ANYTHING BUT A BLACKERRY!!

Your comment wasn't wrong, I just corrected it to more accurately reflect the truth.
    05-19-10 06:31 AM
    Well, I hope the new OS levels the playing field for browsers. I think it will; the engineers at RIM are no dopes. The phone has a lot going for it, but browsing has lagged. If they hit it out of the park with OS 6, I will happily get the next Storm.

05-19-10 06:56 AM
    how does the browser on the storm2 compare to the iPhone? Does the Storm2 render full web pages like the iPhone?
    My iPod Touch defaults to mobile sites just as much as my Storm 2.

It's not really any different than other Blackberries as far as that goes. Blackberry Browser identification will go to mobile sites more often. Using IE or Firefox identification will use full sites more often. Then you can still use Opera or Bolt.
    05-19-10 07:44 AM
    I find that the stores usually have the slower settings for the browser. The latest build actually has a fast browser. However, it seems limited to mobile sites. Full web sites take quite longer to load. Thats why people recommend the Opera Mini Browser. It has the speed of a desktop, and renders faster than Safari. It just currently has a glitch on .607 that is not a deal breaker.
    05-19-10 07:59 AM
    I find that the stores usually have the slower settings for the browser. The latest build actually has a fast browser. However, it seems limited to mobile sites. Full web sites take quite longer to load. Thats why people recommend the Opera Mini Browser. It has the speed of a desktop, and renders faster than Safari. It just currently has a glitch on .607 that is not a deal breaker.
    Fast, but only to mobile sites? Then it's not fast.
    05-19-10 08:35 AM
    yeah I hear you about the experience on the other phones (i.e. iPhone or droid) - Unfortunately, my company only supports the BB (and very limited iPhone - which also requires an act of congress). I'll eventually go to the iPhone waiting for the 4g but will need to keep the BB as well.
    05-19-10 09:09 AM
    The browser is perhaps the biggest weakness of the BlackBerry. Things will improve with OS6, but if you need a good browser now, I'd recommend the IPhone.
    The current browser really isn't bad though. It definitely has a ton of useability, more so than Safari in some ways. For instance, SurePress allows for a cursor mode, allowing you to target smaller links, especially if they're bunched close together. These forums are a good example: clicking on a specific page can be a little annoying if you aren't zoomed in. That's where cursor mode can step in.
    Another bit advantage are the convenience keys. My right one is set to the virtual keyboard. This allows me to quickly being up the keyboard, press TY or BN (SureType) to instantly scroll to the top or bottom of the page, without having to flick scroll all the way.
    This is why things will improve drastically with OS6. Imagine all the functionality of the BB browser, especially compared to alternatives like Opera Mini, except with pinch zooming, better and faster rendering, and the ability to take full advantage of RIM's network operations center. Speaking of the NOC, it's what gives Opera Mini (and Bolt too, I believe) such fast and data efficient web browsing.

05-19-10 09:24 AM
    The browser is perhaps the biggest weakness of the BlackBerry. Things will improve with OS6, but if you need a good browser now, I'd recommend the IPhone.
    The current browser really isn't bad though. It definitely has a ton of useability, more so than Safari in some ways. For instance, SurePress allows for a cursor mode, allowing you to target smaller links, especially if they're bunched close together. These forums are a good example: clicking on a specific page can be a little annoying if you aren't zoomed in. That's where cursor mode can step in.
    Another bit advantage are the convenience keys. My right one is set to the virtual keyboard. This allows me to quickly being up the keyboard, press TY or BN (SureType) to instantly scroll to the top or bottom of the page, without having to flick scroll all the way.
    This is why things will improve drastically with OS6. Imagine all the functionality of the BB browser, especially compared to alternatives like Opera Mini, except with pinch zooming, better and faster rendering, and the ability to take full advantage of RIM's network operations center. Speaking of the NOC, it's what gives Opera Mini (and Bolt too, I believe) such fast and data efficient web browsing.

To your first point, pinch-zoom more than takes care of choosing links that are close together. When flick scrolling works properly (iphone, Android) getting to the top or bottom of the screen is much easier (faster) than the storm. And opera mini and bolt are both poor substitutes for both safari and android.
    05-19-10 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD