All,

i just got the blackberry storm this week and i absolutely love it after the new software update. One problem exists although. The phone seems to connect always to the wireless network at 1xEV speeds. Reading several posts on the internet, i see that basically verizon's 1xEV = 3g service.

To increase the frustration further, i call my better half who has iphone3g and while we are on the phone call, we test opening a web browser and try to browse to a website. She is of course able to do this, while i am not. I get an error message that the radio is in use and cannot be used for data at the same time. If you open up the manual to page 39, there is a section where it describes the wireless network coverage indicators section and there is a indicator for 3G when the phone connects at 3g speeds...

Am i missing something here ? I went to the local store and the guys had no clue.
    12-13-08 07:01 PM
    This is a CDMA limitation, nothing you can do about it. Something that has been discussed in numerous other threads; had you not ignored your good friend Search, you might know this.
    12-13-08 07:09 PM
    You can't use the internet and talk on the phone. It just the way CDMA is.

edit:

Bigman beat me to the punch
    12-13-08 07:10 PM
    Well guys.... I did the search you told the poster to do. And to my amazement I did not find any thing on what the poster asked. I already knew the answer and I have to admit I only checked the first page of searches. So just think about things before you go off on someone about not doing a search it seems we fall back on that way to much on here we are here to help last time I checked.

However bigman is correct you can not use 1xev with cdma at the same time. I am not sure why but it is a limitation to the technology not VZW.
    12-13-08 07:24 PM
    I've actually read it in a post before so I know it's here, and I can't find it in a search. Hmmmmm
    12-13-08 07:28 PM
    If you open up the manual to page 39, there is a section where it describes the wireless network coverage indicators section and there is a indicator for 3G when the phone connects at 3g speeds...

Am i missing something here ? I went to the local store and the guys had no clue.

the 3G listed in the book may be for when you are using the GSM network via the sim card (for using in other countries.. although many seem to have made it work in the USA)
    12-14-08 12:24 AM
    You will never see 3G in the CDMA mode.
    12-14-08 12:36 AM
    The 9530 Storm is a "World" phone. It has a CDMA radio (for verizon) and a GSM radio (att, t-mobile, and pretty much all foreign country carriers). Therefor you can use it all over the world. You either call VZW and set up global roaming for and arm and a leg OR unlock it and buy a pre-paid SIM.

Your storm (if its 9530) is capable of REV-A and 3g depending on the service your phone is setup with at the time.

GSM phones using 3g have the ability to be sending and receiving data while talking on the phone.

3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by mudavo; 12-14-08 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typos
    12-14-08 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD