So I went to the Bahamas from February 8-15th and applied the International Blackberry Data Plan for $64.99. It worked fine using GSM 2G on BalTelCo. I just got my bill that ended on February 19th and it seems like I didn't get charged for my calls while I was there. I was charged for $2.45 for 13 text messages I used but all calls I made and received were treated as regular calls, no extra charge. Am I lucky or will charges appear on my next bill?
    02-24-09 08:44 PM
    roaming charges can take up to two full bill cycles to apply. i'd call and ask to be sure. if you're honest and up front maybe they will only charge you half or something. idk, i used to do it for cool customers, always worth a try. the reps have a credit limit at their disposal, without approval. might as well give 'em a reason to use it, and make sure you tell them how much you appreciate their help. they don't hear it enough.
    02-24-09 08:46 PM
    roaming charges can take up to two full bill cycles to apply. i'd call and ask to be sure. if you're honest and up front maybe they will only charge you half or something.
    true that roaming charges can take 1-2 bill cycles to show up on the statement (usually under the line item "unbilled usage from previous months"), however reps are not legally able to access the records and discuss them until the charges appear on your bill. this includes data (text, web, whatever) AND voice.

having said that, asking for credit for valid usage is kinda sh*tty, if you ask me. you used it knowing you would be charged, so requesting a discount is... well... sh*tty, like I said. You pay for certain plan/feature(s). If you use your service outside of those arrangements, be prepared to pay for it.

edit: oh, and I'm sure that reps have credit limits, but I'm sure they're also held accountable for any credits given.
    02-24-09 08:52 PM
    however reps are not legally able to access the records and discuss them until the charges appear on your bill. this includes data (text, web, whatever) AND voice.
    incorrect
    1) not illegal to discuss unbilled usage in any fashion.
    2) they can discuss unbilled usage, you can even view it online.
    3) if it isn't in the system yet they can't see it, and you're not charged yet. so they won't have much to say anyway.
    02-24-09 09:49 PM
    incorrect to YOUR incorrect...

1 & 2) FCC regulation that went into effect in 10/2007 state that reps cannot discuss unbilled usage IN ANY WAY. Yes, you can view it online... but they still cannot discuss it if you call or go to a store. The only way you'll get info is A) the rep violates FCC regulations and positions themself to be fired (maybe more by FCC), or B) you have a court order/subpoena for the records.

cases in point: if you need a number from yesterday- the rep cannot give it to you, but they can guide you thru getting the information online.

You check your minutes, your unbilled call detail, and call in to dispute it. The rep cannot access the information or discuss it until it actually get billed. And even then, they can only answer questions about the calls - they STILL cannot give out the numbers.

3) there are ways to view the unbilled usage (sometimes as early as just a few minutes prior), but most reps either don't know how to get it or don't have access to the systems to get it.

you could say I have firsthand knowledge... and not as far as me calling in to ask...
    02-24-09 10:31 PM
    if you bring the info up to the rep (ex: list a specific call/event) then they can research and confirm the event.

re:3) if a customer service rep doesn't know how to view unbilled in ACSS they should be sent back to training. and there are new apps always coming out. like the "my verizon tool", etc.

and i have firsthand knowledge as well... you'd be suprised who used to work for that company.
    02-24-09 10:43 PM
    Regardless of what can or cannot be done wth acss, mars, or opal... It is against FCC regulation to discuss it. Maybe you did it while you worked there, but the fact of the matter remains that it is now against the rules of what ALL U.S carriers are held accountable for.

End of conversation.

btw, you would be surprised at who still DOES work for them. And keep in mind I never said my position, only that the info I've given is correct and, most importantly, CURRENT.
    Last edited by seVer916; 02-24-09 at 11:54 PM.
    02-24-09 11:49 PM
    When I left vzw (in sept 08 last year, after your stated FCC regulation) we were able to talk about unbilled info only IF the customer provided date/time and mtn of phone call. That applied to csr and tech support. I would track unbilled usage regularly during escalation calls for many situations. But I'm glad your info is current. And misinterpreted. Sorry for impeding your confidence in your knowledge set, but the sooner you admit you don't know everything the more help you will be to the company.

Back to topic at hand: the reason I suggested calling customer care is that sometimes if you have a feature for part of a bill cycle and its removed, sometimes delayed usage is billed incorrectly. So its good to be proactive about what's going on to avoid confusion. Also its nice to get someone involved to follow up and research your account to prevent misapplied charges. Easier to prevent than reverse. Especially since if adjustments are needed they might be delayed as well depending on who applies them and why.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 12:22 AM
    I do admit I don't know everything. But, in this case, I obviously know more than you. And with every post, you are just solidifying the fact that I know more than you, am more up to date than you, and am actually interested in giving out proper information to avoid confusion.

Allow me to reiterate-- if you were giving out unbilled info, even in escalated situations, then you were in violation of FCC regulation.

If your sup allowed it or didn't question it, then they aided in said violation. I have lost count of how many times I've heard people (CSRs, Sups, techs, etc, etc) on the floor telling customers unbilled usage cannot be discussed. Even if they give you all the details - date, time, length of call, mobile term/orig, location, even the number. By FCC regulation, IT CANNOT BE DISCUSSED IT UNTIL IT HITS THE BILL. And, as I said, even then it can only be used for confirmation or questions, but the number itself cannot be given out by the rep. The most a rep can do to provide a number is a bill reprint, assist with getting the information online, or assist with checking the customer's call log on the phone.

Perhaps you should contact some of your former coworkers or sups and have them forward you the information on that?! I would... but I really don't feel like losing my job over this.

on to your "topic at hand"... when the charges actually hit the bill, the billing system actually knows what was active at the time of usage. If he was in the bahamas in january, removed the feature in february, then the usage shows on the march bill, he would be charged based on what was active AT THE TIME OF THE USAGE.

please... if you're going to try to correct me, THEN AT LEAST BE CORRECT.

OP -- I'm done with this thread. take the information as you will.

bottomline is this :: you may have dodged the bullet on this bill, but it will come around. the other thing you have to consider is if your usage spanned across bill cycles. if you used your phone a lot, then you may be in for an unfortunate surprise on more than 1 bill.

could you call? sure... but don't be surprised if you get the spiel about "we cannot discuss unbilled usage". if you get someone who does, then consider yourself lucky that someone either doesn't care about their job, or is just too dumb to remember the FCC regulations regarding unbilled usage.
    02-25-09 12:50 AM
    Guys, im flying out to the Bahamas tomorrow morning. Do I have to contact VZ to adjust my plan?

EDIT--

Never mind, I found the answer in another thread.
    03-02-09 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD