Murphys Law, protective cover breaks, phone naked while a new one gets in. IT FALLS and gets hit on left top corner.

After that I get "turning handheld off ... next turn on time ..." automatic message constantly. The click feeling on that corner of the phone is gone.

Is there a way I can fix this by myself, this is an unlocked 9550. No phone company to go to, to warranty, etc.. I am not afraid of taking anything apart but would appreciate some ideas on what I should look for or change.

J
    06-13-10 09:58 PM
    It's impossible to tell what the problem is without some level of disassembly. The good news is that the plastic piece that covers the actual lock button can be removed quite easily.

Check out some of the disassembly videos on YouTube, I know it seems scary, but I recently bought a broken Tour on eBay and fixed it using videos I found online. I took my time and it came out just fine. Here is an example video that I found:

I would remove the plastic cover on the top and test the functionality of the button then. If it works fine, you know it's just the piece of plastic. If not, you know what you need to replace.
    06-13-10 10:04 PM
    You may still have the manufacturer warranty...have you contacted Research in Motion?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 12:04 AM
    Well, I took the whole thing apart. Nothing broke in the process so I passed that one.

I lifted the plastic strip that is similar to the mute plastic strip under the top plastic cover and pushed it up a little bit. It started giving me a click feeling once again.

I have no clue how long this will last but at least lets me use the phone. Next time there is no need to take the full phone apart, just to lift the top plastic cover and I can lift from that point on and re apply.

thank you all for your help and link to the video.

J
    06-14-10 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD