Think the 9530 5.0 upgrade happening around the time of the S2 launch was a coincidence? Think again.

Verzion is smart. They know that thousands of Storm users will expect (despite their very flawed logic) some sort of consideration for their trials and tribulations as self-proclaimed "Storm 1 beta testers". They've been clamoring for it every since the device was uncovered.

Well, what better way to take the wind out of their sails than offering a substantial OS upgrade on their existing device in lockstep with the launch of a new device?

If you ask me, that gives VZW plenty of leverage to politely refuse those that want an early upgrade on the grounds that something newer is now out and they want it and VZW is being unfair not giving it to them.

P.S. HAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA!
    Last edited by mikestorm; 10-26-09 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added maniacal laugh
    10-26-09 07:00 AM
    Agreed. Keep in mind Verizon is a multi-billion dollar company and they don't make many ignorant decisions. I agree with everything you said.
    10-26-09 07:02 AM
    Although (and some may disagree with this) I think not hyping this NEW version of the Storm is a missed opportunity UNLESS RIM's first production of the unit has been somewhat limited and VZW is counting on the word of mouth from "launch buyers" to both boost a huge demand as well as save them millions of $ in advertising. If that's the case, then I certainly agree you're exactly right ... they're smart.
    10-26-09 07:08 AM
    I think another angle is a better one...

Today (i think) was Earning's Report.. Since VZ is losing customers in their landline business to people who have given up their home number and use their Cell only... They wanted to add some good with the bad...And with good reason.. Why do we need a home number anymore? How many people can use their home phone in an emergency these days without power? ..Unless you have the old reliable rotary..Thats lost in the basement some where.

Its all about the MONEY!
    10-26-09 07:33 AM
    I think another angle is a better one...

Today (i think) was Earning's Report.. Since VZ is losing customers in their landline business to people who have given up their home number and use their Cell only... They wanted to add some good with the bad...And with good reason.. Why do we need a home number anymore? How many people can use their home phone in an emergency these days without power? ..Unless you have the old reliable rotary..Thats lost in the basement some where.

Its all about the MONEY!
    10-26-09 07:37 AM
    Yep I was writing about this in the forums yesterday, but that new flashy OS that went out still isn't gonna solve the hardware issues, so it might not have been the right move after all
    10-26-09 07:38 AM
    Yep I was writing about this in the forums yesterday, but that new flashy OS that went out still isn't gonna solve the hardware issues, so it might not have been the right move after all
    What hardware issues? What is wrong/broken with the 9530 hardware?
    10-26-09 07:39 AM
    Some of us already got them to give us consideration.
    10-26-09 07:42 AM
    Yeah that really didn't make sense there.
    10-26-09 07:54 AM
    Well I guess i have to mention it again, but on most S1's you can't even get a click in the corners of the screen, that means inconsistent feedback while typing! Sure you can wedge something behind the battery, but are you really supposed too??
    10-26-09 08:03 AM
    Well I guess i have to mention it again, but on most S1's you can't even get a click in the corners of the screen, that means inconsistent feedback while typing! Sure you can wedge something behind the battery, but are you really supposed too??
    Don't have this problem. If you would adjust your screen with the Torx screws, this alleviates the problem. The screen is mechanical. All mechanical devices should and can be adjusted to your tastes. Try it, you may actually like it.
    10-26-09 08:11 AM
    The problem is that you didn't read the User's Guide. I'm sure it states that you're supposed to do that somewhere

Anyway, I think for the most part you're right. A lot of users will be upset but I think the software will correct a lot of the biggest/main complaints. It still doesn't fix screens and buttons falling off the phone that a lot of people have experienced.
    If anything, they should get an "upgraded" Storm1!
    10-26-09 08:12 AM
    Agreed with OP, here we thought they were just delaying to delay or because they had not approved the OS or whatever. But as we can see it really seems they waited until they were able to approve a 5.0 release for the storm1, so as to release both the new phone and the new os for the original at the same time.
    Good move on their part.
    10-26-09 08:13 AM
    10-26-09 08:13 AM
    Don't have this problem. If you would adjust your screen with the Torx screws, this alleviates the problem. The screen is mechanical. All mechanical devices should and can be adjusted to your tastes. Try it, you may actually like it.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I know every trick in the book and have done them all!! Yes the screen clicks a little better, but it;s inconsistent as i stated earlier, and it gives off a horrible feel when typing! I don't need any lessons, because I have been there done that!
    10-26-09 08:16 AM
    If only they had released an OS that wasn't hella buggy.
    10-26-09 08:17 AM
    Some Storms are better than others, my 5th clicks pretty damn good.
    10-26-09 08:18 AM
    Some Storms are better than others, my 5th clicks pretty damn good.
    You're definitely correct about that pk, but still it was unacceptable to people paying all that money for the device, and know have a super smooth experience with the S2, they really should give S1 users wanting the new device some kind of break!
    10-26-09 08:21 AM
    And what point is that trying to make exactly? That's Verizon, not Verizon Wireless...
    Last edited by Whodatt; 10-26-09 at 08:25 AM.
    10-26-09 08:23 AM
    My 2 cents on the lack of fanfare on advertising storm 2? After the shortages and long lines of people when storm released I think it is a bit smarter to release it the way it is being done. But I am just a garbage man and that is my (possibly flawed) opinion.
    10-26-09 08:25 AM
    I'm guessing pretty much the screen technology, no multitap or more ram or anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 09:06 AM
    the release of the 5.0 is actually driving me to get the 9550 more. I was considering upgrading the OS on my 8900 too but after this Ill stick with tried and true.
    10-26-09 09:39 AM
    While the clicking thing is true, it still doesn't make device infunctional. There are storms that click good out of box.
    10-26-09 10:09 AM
    Agreed. Keep in mind Verizon is a multi-billion dollar company and they don't make many ignorant decisions. I agree with everything you said.
    I agree. Except they tripped over the hurdle when it came to the Tour launch
    10-26-09 10:21 AM
    My 2 cents on the lack of fanfare on advertising storm 2? After the shortages and long lines of people when storm released I think it is a bit smarter to release it the way it is being done. But I am just a garbage man and that is my (possibly flawed) opinion.
    I just think that it isn't as big a deal to them as it was last year. The Storm left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. I don't think that you would have the same enthusiasm as last year anyway. It's smarter for them to release the phone to minimal fanfare because last year's debacle was a PR nightmare. They have other phones in the works that they are expecting a lot more from, particularly the Android based phones. Don't you think that if they truly had high expectations from this phone, they would advertise it? Bottom line is VZW has lost confidence in this particular. BB. Why else would they release this phone on the same day that they are basically giving the Droid the superstar treatment. Everyone has their theories as to why they are rolling it out this way, if they had high expectations, from a marketing standpoint this just wouldn't make sense. It's like saying we've got this brand new toy that we hope will be this Christmas' top seller, but guess what? We aren't going to advertise it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 10:29 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD