I have a bricked storm. I was trying to upgrade to the .86 update. I researched the forum to try to get my storm back up and running, but no such luck. I called Verizon who sent me to Asurion Insurance who told me it would not be covered due to it being a software issue. As of right now, I have no phone. I am running Windows 7 and everytime I try to update using the blackberry support website, it get stuck "connecting to device" and everytime I try to update using the app loader it says the same thing. I can't afford to buy a new phone.....I am sick about this. Any advice would greatly be appreciated!
    01-19-09 08:38 PM
    Ditch Windows 7?
    01-19-09 08:39 PM
    try reinstalling the software on a computer with xp or vista, still lots of bugs with windows 7 and not recommended to do anything with your bb on windows 7. I had similar problem with my 8900 but tried different computer and worked perfectly
    01-19-09 08:40 PM
    Wow, running a leaked software version on the Storm and a Beta version of Windows 7. I am surprised that your computer and Storm didn't both blow up. What are you going to do to replace it now that insurance won't cover it? Do you have another phone that you can use until you can afford another one? You may want to start checking out eBay.
    01-19-09 08:43 PM
    There's a sticky in the OS/OS Beta forum about a bug in the USB stack on Windows 7 that causes this problem. You probably could have saved yourself a lot of time and frustration by reading that.
    01-19-09 08:43 PM
    not to be an Azz but theres a big warning here about not using windows 7 look at the sticky in
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/do...ws-7-a-136316/
    01-19-09 08:49 PM
    There's a sticky in the OS/OS Beta forum about a bug in the USB stack on Windows 7 that causes this problem. You probably could have saved yourself a lot of time and frustration by reading that.

Why would anyone bother to do any research? Seriously. I swear, so many people here just post wildly in forums without reading or researching anything. I am new here, but not to forums, and I can't believe how many folks here don't bother to look around before doing a drive-by posting. I don't even have Windows 7 and knew simply by reading that even if I did have it, I shouldn't do it with Windows 7.

I guess by my own definition, I should post this reply in the Rants section...
    Last edited by Todd M; 01-19-09 at 09:00 PM.
    01-19-09 08:51 PM
    yeah, i just read that.....I guess I deserve what I got. Shouldn't always want the latest stuff...especially when its a beta...I am going to try and reload the software on an xp or vista machine..
    01-19-09 08:52 PM
    oh welcome to wonderful world of crackberry
    01-19-09 09:01 PM
    I have a bricked storm. I was trying to upgrade to the .86 update. I researched the forum to try to get my storm back up and running, but no such luck. I called Verizon who sent me to Asurion Insurance who told me it would not be covered due to it being a software issue. As of right now, I have no phone. I am running Windows 7 and everytime I try to update using the blackberry support website, it get stuck "connecting to device" and everytime I try to update using the app loader it says the same thing. I can't afford to buy a new phone.....I am sick about this. Any advice would greatly be appreciated!
    Advice? Check the Storms' OS/Beta OS subforum and search around before you go jumping into things like these. If you would have, you would've seen this sticky--> http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/do...ws-7-a-136316/
    01-19-09 09:12 PM
    I was just about to try the beta for Windows 7, then saw the big DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 7 thread.
    01-19-09 09:13 PM
    If you would read the fourms hear they warned about NOT using windows 7
    01-19-09 09:13 PM
    Call Asurion back and tell them you lost the phone. If you have the $5.99 insurance, it covers everything.
    01-19-09 09:25 PM
    Frack that. Get on a PC with XP on it and reinstall the Storm OS. IT IS NOT BRICKED! 64bit versions of Vista and Windows7 seem to cause issues during installs of the BB OSs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 09:59 PM
    As far as I've read from here I always thought a blackberry could never truly be bricked because of there always being a way to remedy a problem. All that is needed is basic computer knowledge, common sense, and patience.

01-19-09 10:08 PM
    Ladies gentlemen and hermaphrodites,

Here is the secret to dealing with warranty companies. You tell that that the computer, phone, vibrator etc.. was working fine until you saw a puff of smoke. You are really bummed because you liked it so much. Can they please give you a hand. You then go to tell them about your family problems, or something else totally irrelevant and and bothersome. They will then replace your unit promptly just to get rid of you. Make sure at the beginning of the call that you get their ID name etc.. and tell them that you will ask for them next time you call.

You DON'T tell them that you were horsing around with a beta operating system and hosed your phone. That will get a quick hangup.
    01-19-09 10:20 PM
    is your phone flashing double red?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/hel...13/#post404851

this helped me with my gfs curve and worked perfectly..just follow the instructions.

also get rid of 7
    01-19-09 10:28 PM
    See Civics post above in the forum it is sticky....I think Crucial beat me to it.
    01-19-09 11:06 PM

Here is the secret to dealing with warranty companies. You tell that that the computer, phone, vibrator etc.. was working fine until you saw a puff of smoke. You are really bummed because you liked it so much. Can they please give you a hand. You then go to tell them about your family problems, or something else totally irrelevant and and bothersome. They will then replace your unit promptly just to get rid of you. Make sure at the beginning of the call that you get their ID name etc.. and tell them that you will ask for them next time you call.

You DON'T tell them that you were horsing around with a beta operating system and hosed your phone. That will get a quick hangup.
    LMFAO
    01-19-09 11:33 PM

That's funny, kinda sounds like you are suggesting insurance fraud.

01-19-09 11:41 PM
    As far as I've read from here I always thought a blackberry could never truly be bricked because of there always being a way to remedy a problem. All that is needed is basic computer knowledge, common sense, and patience.

No, my phone was bricked during an upgrade to .86 on Windows 7. Phone would not power on or show any indication of working. I wound up getting a new one so it wasn't a big deal.
    01-20-09 12:35 AM
    Wow so... despite how there's a stickied thread entitled: "Do Not Install Os Upgrades Using Windows 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (which you would've thought had more than enough exclamation points) you went ahead and... did it anyway?

What, were you hoping you'd be the one exception to this rule or what?

The final blow that will cause me to lose all faith in humanity will not be due to the government, pop culture, or any of the usual boring stuff... but the lack of intelligence displayed by BB users of this forum. It's not a smite against the forum, but just the average user's intelligence. I don't mean this to be insulting! It's just truth.

Btw, yeah, if you want to do what sbr65nj said, you should top off your brilliant scheme by stating that as a result of this "puff of smoke" you began seeing flashing lights in front of your eyes and then had tunnel vision followed by uncontrollable shaking and foam spewing out of your mouth. Say your hair also caught on fire as well and you now speak Portuguese. Blame all of this on a leaked beta OS that you installed with... well... another beta OS on your computer.
    Last edited by KoH; 01-20-09 at 12:50 AM.
    01-20-09 12:44 AM
    I'm pretty sure he got the hint about there being a topic that warns against using windows 7 and that he should have tried to search first...

Hope you get your storm to work again...we all make mistakes.
    01-20-09 01:01 AM

Which the original poster has none of.

Seriously, why would you use a beta OS to upload anything?
    01-20-09 08:46 AM
    I have windows 7 and had no problems upgrading to .86

01-20-09 09:01 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD