Greetings all,

I am a brand new Storm user as of today; actually I am a first time blackberry user too.

So far, I absolutely love the storm, and am happy to have chosen it for my **first** smartphone experience.

I have one question that I would like to ask though.

It seems that my battery drains a lot faster than I was led to believe (finished charging at 4pm, it is now 10pm and I have 3/4 of a battery left).

I am assuming this is due to applications running, although I'm not sure what is running and what isn't.

Anyway, my question(s):

Are blackberry batteries different than say "normal" cellphones in that it won't develop a memory if I charge it without the battery being drained?

Also, is it better to turn off the phone when charging the battery (like how my previous phone was) or can you leave these on while charging without worrying about shortening the battery life?

Thanks for the answers!
    05-13-09 09:56 PM
    Welcome Aboard!

There are some OS update leaks you can down load in these forums. Some seem to make the battery a lot better. As far as turning your phone off, it really doesn't turn off. BlackBerries are meant to always stay on.. It is more of a standby mode. You can leave it on charging. The phone knows when the battery is full and will no longer accept a charge once it is full.
    05-13-09 10:04 PM
    Charg whenever you feel the need. As far as device on or off, I'm not sure it makes a difference.

Welcome to CB! Feel free to hit me up if you need help, or you can check out the link in my sig for some good tips and help.
    05-13-09 10:06 PM
    It has actually been discussed that you should make sure you fully charge the phone overnight, every night, for at least a week. Some users noticed that after doing this for a bit, the battery actually started holding a charge for a longer period of time. Almost like conditioning it. I could probably go a day and a half to two days before I have to charge mine, and I use it pretty frequently. I plug mine in every night, though.
    05-13-09 10:08 PM
    Awesome, thanks for the answers and the "welcomes"!
    05-13-09 10:16 PM
    Regardin your phone battery drainage: the reason it runs down so quickly its because you have some apps like viigo or twitter apps that will update every hour or so. Change it to manual update so it won't drain your battery. And of course since you got the phone recently, your battery will drain quickly because you keep on playing with it. That's normal battery drain

When it comes to chargin, blackberry is made to charge wherever you are (at home or office) just plug it to your usb and that's it. I don't think there's a difference if you turn it off or whatnot. The only difference between the two that I can see is that it will charge faster when its off hehe. Let me know if you agree with me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 10:18 PM
    i noticed my battery goes quick too. i just got the storm and i miss my pink pearl i liked it alot better im just not so sure about the touch screen. hate to say it but the iphones touch screen - way cooler. lol but the storm is pretty cool too ill get used to it i suppose. my pearl would last for at least 2 days with texting and calling the storrm only goes a day a half for me sad
    05-13-09 10:21 PM
    Welcome to CB and congratulations on the storm. The battery draining can be the result of many different things but it can helped by changing a couple of your settings. The first thing to do is to go to Options> Screen/Keyboard and set Backlight Brightness to 10, set your Backlight Timeout to a lower number, set automatically dim backlight to off and led coverage indicator to off. While you are here set tap interval to 100, hover period to 100 and swipe sensitivity to 6. These touchscreen settings will help you when doing various things with the touchscreen. Next go to Options> Mobile Network and set your network technology to 1XEV or GSM/UMTS depending on what your network uses. This will cut down on having the device scan for both networks for a signal all the time. If you don't plan on using the gps set that to E911 (Options> Advanced Options> GPS). There are other little changes you can do to help battery life but these are the major ones.

05-13-09 11:26 PM
    Thank you very much for the tips ArmaK.

I made all the changes you recommended and will see how it goes!
    05-14-09 10:05 AM
    It has actually been discussed that you should make sure you fully charge the phone overnight, every night, for at least a week. Some users noticed that after doing this for a bit, the battery actually started holding a charge for a longer period of time. Almost like conditioning it. I could probably go a day and a half to two days before I have to charge mine, and I use it pretty frequently. I plug mine in every night, though.
    This is what I did and it definitely helped me!
    05-14-09 10:09 AM
    I recommend another wall charger for the office, a car charger and a cradle. That way you are always juiced up.

05-14-09 10:14 AM
    And of course since you got the phone recently, your battery will drain quickly because you keep on playing with it. That's normal battery drain
    This is so true, after the "new" wore off my Storm (about a week), my battery life extended dramatically. I was spending so much time downloading and checking out apps - my battery just couldn't keep up. Now I have an OS I like and all the apps I need so my battery will now last me 2+ days with standard use. And all those settings changes ArmaK suggested are a must!

Good Luck!
    05-14-09 10:26 AM
    ive got a quick? as well...im new to da storm as well as bb...i came from sprints touch pro...i absolutley love dis phone...so when i send an email (gmail acct) or reply to an email it always sends a copy to me..how can i stop this...?
    05-14-09 11:21 AM
    Turn off bluetooth and gps when not using it (there is a thread on battery power) but they are the best two things to save power.

and close apps when your not using them (if you hold the blackberry button down for a few seconds it brings up like an "alt + tab" screen showing you everything you have open.

some stuff you can't close but you will soon learn what they are
    05-14-09 11:24 AM
    ive got a quick? as well...im new to da storm as well as bb...i came from sprints touch pro...i absolutley love dis phone...so when i send an email (gmail acct) or reply to an email it always sends a copy to me..how can i stop this...?
    with gmail it does this, i don't think you can stop it
    05-14-09 11:24 AM
    my gmail account doesnt...i use IMAP settings though dont know if that makes a difference
    05-14-09 11:31 AM
    Check this thread for a solution to this problem:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/
    05-14-09 11:42 AM
    i have no filters set and dont receive a copy of sent items and im almost positive its because i switched to IMAP settings
    05-14-09 11:49 AM
    How do you switch to IMAP settings? Does it require running that new Gmail App, or can you do it straight through Blackberry direct?

Also, does using IMAP alleviate the issue with emails being read on the BB, but still show unread on Gmail? (My yahoo email doesn't have this problem, syncs instantly).
    05-14-09 12:11 PM
    How do you switch to IMAP settings? Does it require running that new Gmail App, or can you do it straight through Blackberry direct?

Also, does using IMAP alleviate the issue with emails being read on the BB, but still show unread on Gmail? (My yahoo email doesn't have this problem, syncs instantly).
    in gmail - go to settings

click forawrding and POP/IMAP...enable IMAP

right below that click "Configuration Instructions" and yes the read thing works for me

i think you can just use the email setup wizard on your phone to do it also after you enable IMAP
    05-14-09 12:18 PM
    in gmail - go to settings

click forawrding and POP/IMAP...enable IMAP

right below that click "Configuration Instructions" and yes the read thing works for me

i think you can just use the email setup wizard on your phone to do it also after you enable IMAP
    Thanks, I checked and my IMAP is already enabled (but so is Pop). Do I need to disable pop, to default it to IMAP?

I followed the 2nd step as well, clicked on "configuration settings" then "blackberry" and it says "Gmail IMAP access is not officially supported for BlackBerry devices at this time..." but I know ppl are using it.
    Did I miss something?
    05-14-09 12:24 PM
    i do not have pop enabled...dont know if it makes a difference but i just tried it and everything seems to be fine, i dont know that anything needs to be changed as long as you have IMAP enabled, i looked around and cant see any other changes the only thing i would think is you could try deleting and then set up your gmail account again using the Email Settings icon in Setup folder
    05-14-09 12:45 PM
    this has been my experience with most modern batteries... hard to keep up with the changes, but to the OP;

cell memory in modern batteries isnt as big of a problem as it used to be. I wouldn't stress over charging your phone from half way toooo much. by the time the battery would degrade enough to be a problem, you would most likely have moved on to another phone (unless you're one of those "keep a phone for 3yr+ " kind of ppl hehehe)
    05-14-09 12:49 PM
    Thanks, I checked and my IMAP is already enabled (but so is Pop). Do I need to disable pop, to default it to IMAP?

I followed the 2nd step as well, clicked on "configuration settings" then "blackberry" and it says "Gmail IMAP access is not officially supported for BlackBerry devices at this time..." but I know ppl are using it.
    Did I miss something?
    When you first step up gmail you were doing it before the latest version of BIS was released (March). After BIS 2.6 was released, the IMAP settings were fully enabled for the blackberry. What you would need to do is delete your gmail account from the BIS site then go back in a create the account by simplying choosing gmail then typing your username and password into the spaces provided. After doing this you'll be set up for IMAP with gmail and it will eliminate having your sent emails sent back to you without the use of a filter.

05-14-09 02:19 PM
    When you first step up gmail you were doing it before the latest version of BIS was released (March). After BIS 2.6 was released, the IMAP settings were fully enabled for the blackberry. What you would need to do is delete your gmail account from the BIS site then go back in a create the account by simplying choosing gmail then typing your username and password into the spaces provided. After doing this you'll be set up for IMAP with gmail and it will eliminate having your sent emails sent back to you without the use of a filter.

Thank u for the explanation. I will give it a try and see if that works. Does this solve the 2-way reconcile as well? I.e. Email read on my BB would show as read on web as well (like yahoo)?
    Thanks

05-14-09 02:30 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD