Guys, I truly know this has been covered in one thread or another but I have an honest question here. It seems to me that it is "hit or miss" that you get a good unit. My first storm came int he mail fromt he verizon site. I was so excited. the first thing i did when i opened it is tested the clicking in the corners and it was outstanding but unfortunately, my screen was defective ( it positioned very very low. 0 gap at the bottom whch would get stuck a bit when clicking and this huge gap at top. I took it to the verizon store today and they instantly agreed it was messed up ( that one was canadian built) so I get my new one ( says mexican built ) and the screen is perfect, software is fine, everything is great but the bottom left corner ( near green button) require a hard push for it to click. it is responsive and recognizes the click but you just dont get the same effect as if you push the middle of the screen.. the other corners are also not great. only the middle. Of course i tried the paper under the cover trick ( over the battery, not under it) and it improved things.

Basically, I dont know what to do. It seems to me that its a risk to buy this device to get the "perfect" storm.

Do i takeit back a 2nd time and chance it? I man, these guys are not gonna keep opening new boxes over and over until i hit one that satisfies me.

The phone works great it just needs a little more effort int he corners and you dont get that strong click. it only does it nice in the middle. everything else is great though ( no dead pixels, camera seems really rersponsive, accelerometer is working great).

any real advice here. I mean should I just leave the paper under the back lid and stop being so picky? It seems so hard to get one that is perfect in all ways. should I stick with what I got? see, if they agree to do a return, verizon will do all the paperwork/stuff ont hiuer computer and then give you the new box. now that one is yours. if you open it and it happens again, they will draw the line somewhere right?

thanks.
    Last edited by rockstar76; 12-20-08 at 12:17 AM.
    12-20-08 12:12 AM
    you bought something and paid somewhat of a premium for it, if they offer the warranty, especially because your returning it only within a month or so. You deserve to get a replacement until the unit you have works. Unless it is you being overly obnoxiously picky and just denying the flaws of the phone.

If this were a year from now, i would say no. But now, get the one that isn't broken because there is no doubt that a majority of these phones are having issues.
    12-20-08 12:16 AM
    I also had some hardware issues and I'm now waiting for a replacement storm. I thought I might be being too picky, but then I realized that verizon's worry free guarantee is there so I can get a device that I know will last me a long time. Once you're past the 30 days, I'm sure verizon will be more picky about returns so I would protect yourself now.
    12-20-08 12:50 AM
    I was in your same situation. Dont give up, go back and get what you deserve. I will say i am very glade i bought my phone at best buy and not a Verizon store as they swap it no questions asked, the techs there are generally not very helpful. I went through 3 storms before i found my 4th and perfect storm(which was made in mexico by the way). It clicks like a dream and everything works perfectly. Dont give up and dont settle for a less then perfect phone. Mechanically everything should be working the click should feel the exact same over the whole phone, mine does and i am so happy with it.
    12-20-08 01:00 AM
    ok here is the deal. like i mentioned. my first unit clicked everywhere perfect ( it was a canadian unit) but screen had a true defect. verizon was so quick on agreeing atthe store. it was bad.

they did the exchange and handed me a new box.

i opened my 2nd unit.

1: screen is perfect. barely any gap on all 4 sides. not loose at all.

2: suprisingly, the camera is super fast respose. hardly any delay after taking pic. you snap the pic and its almost instant to display the image. no delay.

3: barely any lag operating.

4: accelerometer is perfect

it clicks fine in the middle and top right corner. top left gives a slightly less of a "click" but it does click

bottom left ( near green button ) is the issue, it does "click" but you have to press a bit harder. i know this is a common issue

instead of return this "nearly perfect" unit, should i attempt the loosening of the torx screw method as mentioned by many of you ( instead of the paper trick ) or risk a return and getting a unit that may have yet another issue like my first one. like i mentioned before, verizon does not open a new sealed box 1st. they may agree to do the exchange, process it...then they hand yout he new sealed box.

it is a pain to keep chancing it. they do all the paperwork ont he exchange, then you open the box after not before.

based on the details of my unit, whats your opinion? its clicking everwhere just not quite of a nice click in that lower left corner. should i try the torx thing and keep it or take another chance ( that may ultimately require a 4th unit ) ??
    12-20-08 02:49 AM
    Try the SCREW adjustment first!
    12-20-08 08:54 AM
    guys, i got lucky. I was on the highway this morning and i had to drive past my local verizon store, the temptating took over lol so I went in and showed them the clicking problem. They fessed right up that it is "hit or miss" on getting a good unit. they did notice how hard I had to press at the bottom of the screen. they are doing a lot of returns. they could tell is was dissatisfied and they said " you wanna switch it for a new one?" I said yeah but can we open it up and let me inspect it good. They agreed.

long story short, i got a good unit finally! ( # 3 is a charm ) its a mexican one

clicks perfectly everywhere. you hear a nice click even in the far corners on all 4 sides.

no dust under screen

lcd is nice and bright

no lag

even gap around screen . no screen shake.

camera is quick

no dead pixels anywhere.

memory said it is running 42.2

came loaded with .75

Im finally happy. Im gonna stick with this one.
    12-20-08 10:36 AM
    Your store had new phones without having to order?
    12-20-08 11:11 AM
    Seriously guys you should have bought your phones at Best Buy. I have gotten 4 phones without ordering anything. No paperwork i go to customer service exchange dial *228 and activate my new phone all done.
    12-20-08 11:38 AM
    I guess I'm lucky. My phone was made in Canada and I bought it 3 days after the launch for Telus. They had a random shipment and I was lucky to get one. My phone has zero problems and works like a charm. I tried the screw trick to see if I noticed a difference in clicking specifically in the corners and it helped slightly but not much of a difference. I yet to have a problem. If I do find one, I hope its soon so I can replace it. For those of you that keep getting phones with defects, I hope you find the final one you are satisfied with
    12-20-08 11:40 AM
    I ordered my phone online the 1st time ( verizon website) and that one came defective. I called support and they said bring it to the store. Luckily, the store over here in NJ on the main highway is a big store. initially they had none in stock bu on thurs they got a shipment of 50 and friday 20 more so yeah, they have them in stock now. They were really helpful and understood my concern. lol I just kept saying " the tv commercial says the phone clicks... mine doesnt click". they were really cool about the replacement.

the 1st unit was canadian. it clicked fine but that darn screen was misaligned so bad.

2nd unit was mexican. screen was great but it just wouldnt click right so this morning when i went back i made them try it and they agreed.

so now 3rd unit is mexican but eveything is fine.

They said from now on they will be getting shipments twice per week at the bigger stores.

well, im glad its over with. iv tried my hardes to inspect this one and i honestly cant find any problems. Thank God
    12-20-08 11:52 AM
    Guys, I spoke too soon. Unit # 3 was also defective. the bottom red "end button started to fall off ( i only had it less than 24 hrs!!! ). Screen became very very wobbly after only 1 day of use. Constant crashing and reboot problems. then.. I went to bed , phone was fine, i wake up today and it says phone needs activation!! wouldnt work at all. no internet, no calls. I had to call verizon to re-activate it!!

I gave up. I returned the phone this afternoon. I didnt ask for a replacement. its just over.

Its something we all dont want to face but this phone is, in my opinion, not ready for the market. It needs a lot of work. Look how many of you are having problems. That seems to out-weigh the people who have trouble free units. "a lot" of you have problems or major concerns. What does that say about the phone?

I returned it and turned my old flip phone back on. Its a shame. maybe in 6 months it will get a hardware revision. Ill consider it at that point.

Im truly disappointed. 3 phones in about 60 hours, all of them bombed out on me.

best of luck to all of you that have ones with no trouble. You guys are a rare bunch it seems. ... the person working the customer service counter actually said to me, he thinks its been about 1 return for every 3 sales of this phone ( at that store anyway ). for them to say that to a customer is pretty bold. sad... but maybe true.
    Last edited by rockstar76; 12-21-08 at 11:09 PM.
    12-21-08 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD