Not sure why info on the BBleaks site claims faster boot times, but mine went from under 3-1/2 minutes on the last two official releases, to 5:25 on 1015. wth???

Official: BlackBerry Storm2 9550 OS 5.0.0.1015 from Verizon Wireless | BlackBerry Leaks
    11-26-10 12:03 PM
    Not sure why info on the BBleaks site claims faster boot times, but mine went from under 3-1/2 minutes on the last two official releases, to 5:25 on 1015. wth???

Official: BlackBerry Storm2 9550 OS 5.0.0.1015 from Verizon Wireless | BlackBerry Leaks
    Maybe the OS needs to settle???
    11-26-10 12:19 PM
    Maybe the OS needs to settle???
    I've believed in that theory.
    11-26-10 12:46 PM
    I've believed in that theory.
    Personally, thats bull****. I don't mean to sound angry but I am so tired of all the promises people put on their OS release. The bottom line is they all blow.
    11-26-10 01:14 PM
    To add truth to the boot time. Mine is around 6 minutes everytime and I've been on .1015 since the leak; which is the same as the VZW release so don't even try flaming me for that bull that it's not the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-10 01:40 PM
    Personally, thats *****. I don't mean to sound angry but I am so tired of all the promises people put on their OS release. The bottom line is they all blow.
    You DO sound angry. that's ok, though. Whatever floats your boat!
    Last edited by dave1812; 11-26-10 at 02:15 PM.
    11-26-10 01:47 PM
    i cant believe anyone still complains about it really. Mine has been 5-10 minutes since like the .4xx OSs. I never keep track of it i just know it sucks and will always suck. It always will depend on what all you have installed on the phone (games, apps, theme, etc) my incredible does the same thing. It was 30 seconds out of the box but with the more i have added its up to 1-1.5 minutes total before i can use it. that i can deal with pretty easily though. its a mini computer. all smartphones are.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-26-10 at 01:59 PM.
    11-26-10 01:53 PM
    I've never noticed any change in boot times. In my S1 days I used to time both my S1's on every OS because people were always claiming "reduced boot time." My results? My main S1 always booted in 2:33, no matter what OS. And my spare S1 always booted in 2:09, no matter the OS. I haven't kept an actual "log" on the S2, but it is around 6 and a half minutes. Always has been, and I'm sure always will. I'm more interested in why the S2 takes four minutes longer to boot than anything. Does it take four minutes to turn the WiFi on? LOL!

11-26-10 02:07 PM
    I think my boot time has gone up a bit but it's tolerable. I was really surprised with the 5+ MB jump in memory and increased battery life. Since when do official releases actually IMPROVE things?!
    11-26-10 02:29 PM
    I think my boot time has gone up a bit but it's tolerable. I was really surprised with the 5+ MB jump in memory and increased battery life. Since when do official releases actually IMPROVE things?!
    good question--maybe once or twice in a lifetime? <g>
    11-26-10 02:56 PM
    good question--maybe once or twice in a lifetime? <g>
    I go back to "wait until it settles" as it settles it breaks, lol. Seems as if you cant find any problems, you havent looked well enough.
    11-26-10 03:19 PM
    I really don't care about the boot time anymore got use to it already lol.
    11-26-10 04:11 PM
    I go back to "wait until it settles" as it settles it breaks, lol. Seems as if you cant find any problems, you havent looked well enough.
    I looked at two things that others complained about (on 1015) and I don't have either of those issues. then again, I had less issues with the previous 3 versions than some did. Not to say I didn't have more "unique" issues such as Contacts apps issues that required two OS reloads.

Damn--I wrote "issues" four times! LOL! I need to be more creative.
    11-26-10 04:24 PM
    I looked at two things that others complained about (on 1015) and I don't have either of those issues. then again, I had less issues with the previous 3 versions than some did. Not to say I didn't have more "unique" issues such as Contacts apps issues that required two OS reloads.

Damn--I wrote "issues" four times! LOL! I need to be more creative.
    Yeah, i think you need a Thesaurus dave, lol

for me, Issues and problems are two different things. I'm sure that the issues are all there but the ones who dont see it might do things differently. I dont have any contact issues cause I use Google sync. Things like that. some have learned the "work-around" and have used it for so long that we sometimes forget that there are other ways of doing the same thing. Things that others do that cause problems. Which is why its been mentioned many times that RIMs testers are probably not using the device exclusively and even if they are, there should be no "work-arounds" or 3rd party apps installed that the device does natively. Problems I have none. None of the issues mentioned have made things unusable to the point of causing me problems.
    11-26-10 04:38 PM
    Yeah, i think you need a Thesaurus dave, lol

for me, Issues and problems are two different things. I'm sure that the issues are all there but the ones who dont see it might do things differently. I dont have any contact issues cause I use Google sync. Things like that. some have learned the "work-around" and have used it for so long that we sometimes forget that there are other ways of doing the same thing. Things that others do that cause problems. Which is why its been mentioned many times that RIMs testers are probably not using the device exclusively and even if they are, there should be no "work-arounds" or 3rd party apps installed that the device does natively. Problems I have none. None of the issues mentioned have made things unusable to the point of causing me problems.
    My Contacts problem had to do with typing a contact's name in the Find box. When it went wonky ( a HIGHLY technical term), it stopped searching as I typed (the auto-completion feature). Calls to tech support failed to find a solution short of an OS reload. First, of course I tried simply deleting the Contacts database, but had to resort to reloading the OS. The same thing happened roughly a month later. I haven't heard of anyone else on the forum mentioning such weirdness. oh, and I had also (incorrectly) thought the issue was brought about by the installation of Dragon for Email, because that's where I first noticed the lack of email addy auto-completion. But when I deleted Dragon, I still had the same issue with the Contacts not auto-completing, as I did with email addys in Dragon.
    11-26-10 05:03 PM
    I don't get this Dave, mine is 3 mins give or take. I thought originally it was much better, but did not actually measure, it was more just like it felt like it.

Because of this thread I have done 5 batt pulls in a row and timed the boot up. It was always a few seconds less or more than 3 mins.

As I posted in another thread, this upgrade went so smooth I thought I must have done it wrong. The fact is everything was done quickly and efficiently. Something that has NEVER happened is all the custom folders that I created for every theme were recreated all everything was put in its correct place. I didnt have to recreate any of it. That has not ever happened for me on an upgrade.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 11-26-10 at 09:54 PM.
    11-26-10 09:47 PM
    I don't get this Dave, mine is 3 mins give or take. I thought originally it was much better, but did not actually measure, it was more just like it felt like it.

Because of this thread I have done 5 batt pulls in a row and timed the boot up. It was always a few seconds less or more than 3 mins.

As I posted in another thread, this upgrade went so smooth I thought I must have done it wrong. The fact is everything was done quickly and efficiently. Something that has NEVER happened is all the custom folders that I created for every theme were recreated all everything was put in its correct place. I didnt have to recreate any of it. That has not ever happened for me on an upgrade.
    Interesting! I remember this past summer that when I reinstalled the OS (for Contacts apps issues), my boot time reverted to around 3 minutes, from more than 4. Since 1015 is fresh, I'm surprised to find it's slower to boot, right out of the gate. What I need to do is time boot-up on my wife's S2 (which also has 1015) and see how it fares. I'll report back later.

EDIT: for grins, I checked mine again: 4:45

EDIT #2 : the wife's took 3:45
    Last edited by dave1812; 11-27-10 at 11:45 AM.
    11-27-10 10:48 AM
    Boot is slightly slower. I rarely reboot so it doesn't bother me.
    11-27-10 01:22 PM
    My boot up time is 4:57
    11-28-10 03:50 PM
    When I went to .1015 from .983, boot time increased from about five minutes to about six minutes. Slow restarts are something I've just gotten used to dealing with as another minor annoyance with my device.

11-28-10 04:02 PM
    From the responses here, I'd say RIM lied through their teeth about "faster boot up times" on 1015...
    11-28-10 04:17 PM
    Just checked my boot time under .713: 8:58 to get into the OS.

Installed:

App World
    App Center
    BB Maps
    BB Messenger
    BB S/MIME
    Brickbreaker
    DOD Root Certificates
    Help
    Memopad
    Password Keeper
    Tasks
    Amazon
    Ascendo
    Chat for FB Pro
    BeBuzz
    Labrynth lite
    Documents to Go
    Flixter
    Google Sync
    Scanner Radio
    Analyze Mathmatics
    Lookout Mobile Security
    Navita Translator
    Blueslate Converter Standard
    Pageonce Personal Assistant
    Pandora
    Paypal
    Facebook
    Quick Search with Google
    Sherwin-Williams Colorsnap
    Alert-Matrix Pro
    Scanlife barcode reader
    The Light (flashlight)
    The Weather Channel
    UPS Mobile
    My Verizon
    Vlingo
    Smartberries (Today)
    Smartberries (Zen)
    5001 Amazing Facts
    Zonasnapp

Damn, I have too many apps...
    11-28-10 06:21 PM
    Just checked my boot time under .713: 8:58 to get into the OS.

Installed:

App World
    App Center
    BB Maps
    BB Messenger
    BB S/MIME
    Brickbreaker
    DOD Root Certificates
    Help
    Memopad
    Password Keeper
    Tasks
    Amazon
    Ascendo
    Chat for FB Pro
    BeBuzz
    Labrynth lite
    Documents to Go
    Flixter
    Google Sync
    Scanner Radio
    Analyze Mathmatics
    Lookout Mobile Security
    Navita Translator
    Blueslate Converter Standard
    Pageonce Personal Assistant
    Pandora
    Paypal
    Facebook
    Quick Search with Google
    Sherwin-Williams Colorsnap
    Alert-Matrix Pro
    Scanlife barcode reader
    The Light (flashlight)
    The Weather Channel
    UPS Mobile
    My Verizon
    Vlingo
    Smartberries (Today)
    Smartberries (Zen)
    5001 Amazing Facts
    Zonasnapp

Damn, I have too many apps...
    I bolded the ones I have. I have a few others too--Kindle, Newsy, Google Maps, Google Mobile, Dragon for Email, Bloomberg, Engadget, iheartradio,Ing, yesterberry
    11-28-10 06:32 PM
    I had a lot of apps but i deleted the majority that i don't use much or at all.
    11-28-10 10:59 PM
    I have hardly any apps and still it takes More than 8 Mins.
    11-29-10 03:33 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD