Hi there!

I'm new to the forum

I'm a current owner of the BB 9700 Bold 2 (for private purposes only) and I love the keyboard and the (email) software overall. However, I somehow dislike the overall build quality .

Well, I want to ask you:
    I want to buy another BB - the Storm 2. Will I be satisfied with the Storm 2 by means of typing speed and build quality? What are the other main differences between those two BBs (besides the obvious ). And moreover: Should I buy the Storm 2 now or should I wait for a newer device?!

Thanks in advance!

Regards, J
    05-23-10 01:06 PM
    Honestly, if you aren't with the 9700 (which is a pretty good device), I'm not sure you will be satisfied with the S2. I think it is a great device and I like mine a lot, but you may not. If I were you, I would probably wait for a newer device.
    05-23-10 01:10 PM
    Honestly, if you aren't with the 9700 (which is a pretty good device), I'm not sure you will be satisfied with the S2. I think it is a great device and I like mine a lot, but you may not. If I were you, I would probably wait for a newer device.

Hi! Thanks for this honest answer!

Don't get me wrong! I really love the features of the 9700 (I used to have Nokia Symbian Devices before my first BB [this 9700] and I really don't know why to go back to Nokia / Symbian again), but the hardware is not as tough as the E71 (for example). Well, emailing, communicating... all the nice little features the BB OS has to offer... I love it

... except for the hardware, of course...
    05-23-10 01:12 PM
    Are you talking about like if you drop it or something?
    05-23-10 01:17 PM
    Are you talking about like if you drop it or something?
    No, sorry for the bad explanation.
    My major concern is with the silver bezel round the front, covering the display. Its not very sturdy and it's only a cheap, weak plastic part. This is so sad.

Another one is that the display colors change a bit when you press on the display ( but I found out that this is pretty much common with this device so I go for it)

Regards,

Julian
    05-23-10 01:20 PM
    You need to get yourself an Otterbox case for your phone. Also, why are you pressing on your display? I could understand if the 9700 was a touchscreen, but it's not.
    05-23-10 01:41 PM
    i came from a t-mobile from a bold 2 to a storm 2 and have no worries you'll eventually get used to the typing speed is pretty fast but its all about personal preferences i suggest you goto verizon and play with the display model before taking the plunge thou ....
    05-23-10 01:42 PM
    You need to get yourself an Otterbox case for your phone. Also, why are you pressing on your display? I could understand if the 9700 was a touchscreen, but it's not.

Maybe you know this: When you did it once and you saw that there is a hardware flaw you will most likely press from time to time again to see if it's there or not

Well, Otterbox... where can I get this quickly in Europe /Austria?

Regards,

Julian
    05-23-10 01:43 PM
    i came from a t-mobile from a bold 2 to a storm 2 and have no worries you'll eventually get used to the typing speed is pretty fast but its all about personal preferences i suggest you goto verizon and play with the display model before taking the plunge thou ....
    Hi!

Do you see any disadvantages while moving from Bold 2 to a Storm 2?

Regards,

J
    05-23-10 01:44 PM
    Hi!

Do you see any disadvantages while moving from Bold 2 to a Storm 2?

Regards,

J
    no like i said once you get used to typing on the storm2 its a reg bberry but its all personal preference i wanted a touch screen but didnt wanna leave bberry so i went storm 1 and then wanted wifi again so went and got a storm 2 only thing that i dont like is the lack of tmobiles 3.5g thats the only thing i miss but i got wifi so who cares
    05-23-10 01:49 PM
    The only thing i know of that the bold does better is sound it was smart to put speakerphone facing you the Storm has it play at the top back facing back and at the bottom facing down. Other than that Storm 2 is the way to go.
    05-24-10 10:47 AM
    Storm 2 = best current overall device!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 11:40 AM
    I'm having the same dilema - this forum is full of what seems to be drawbacks and problems with the Storm 2....but yet again has other great comments.

However, you always hear more gripes when things go wrong, vs hearing good things when its going well......

My worry is that all the phone shops here seem to have little time for the Storm2, with no models for demo, and I've found a web site that even has "14 day return" models for the Storm2 (but stragely for no other phones)....is the satisfaction that bad that they need to sell them cheaper as returns?

Do we really have any ideas of when Storm3 will be released?

I don't really want to end up with a BB that is unreliable....yet don't want to jump off to iPhone/Android as of BES with work.

BigB667 - what was your decision?
    05-26-10 05:57 AM
    I had 9700 and went to s2 after they fixed screen. I like it but at times miss the keyboard of the 9700.

It is heavy compared to 9700 and battery life is horrific compared if you talk a lot. I have extended 2600 battery and can blow thru that in one day.

I am tempted to go back to 9700.

Build is solid and I can type fast but it takes more focus that the real keyboard. No complaints about the Os 607. Not laggy and rarely freezes up.

Want to buy my s2?

05-26-10 07:49 AM
    I'm having the same dilema - this forum is full of what seems to be drawbacks and problems with the Storm 2....but yet again has other great comments.

However, you always hear more gripes when things go wrong, vs hearing good things when its going well......

My worry is that all the phone shops here seem to have little time for the Storm2, with no models for demo, and I've found a web site that even has "14 day return" models for the Storm2 (but stragely for no other phones)....is the satisfaction that bad that they need to sell them cheaper as returns?

Do we really have any ideas of when Storm3 will be released?

I don't really want to end up with a BB that is unreliable....yet don't want to jump off to iPhone/Android as of BES with work.

BigB667 - what was your decision?

You really can't go wrong with the S2. It is a great phone and you will love it if you get it. I would wait for the S3, as it should be out pretty soon. You might as well use your upgrade for the latest technology.
    05-26-10 10:28 AM
    Having came from a bold and moving to the s2, i can honestly say that i loved the s2 at first but then i started to get annoyed by it.

i think that if i had the choice again i would go for the bold. ive had nothing but issues such as screen double clicking etc.

i just would love to go back to my stable sensible bold.
    05-26-10 10:36 AM
    I went from a bold 9700 too an S2 about 4 months ago and I can't complain. Battery doesn't last half as long as the Bold, but I expected as much from a touchscreen device.

I really beat the **** out of my blackberries. I have dropped it, spilled stuff on it, taken it apart to clean coffee out from behind the screen, and its been frozen overnight in my car in our lovely winters. Aside from my sleep button not working for a few days (disasembled to fix once again) its taken my abuse like a champ.

I don't use a case other than the holster, and I have the first batch with no 'screen fix', amd I have had no hiccups using it daily.
    Cam

05-26-10 01:36 PM
    Miss my TMO 9700 terribly. Not only the phone, but I forgot how much I hate the voice quality of CDMA. I left TMO after about 9 years (grandfathered $19.95 BB plan too) for a touchscreen. 9700 build quality was poor but a great phone. Sloppy trackpads etc. Battery life on this S2 is horrible. The phone is always warm and assume it is the way the CDMA phones manage the battery power?

I do like the phone but simply can't use wifi or update my 3rd party apps as frequent as I used to on the 9700. I have trouble replying to a message in a quick manner as well as I can with the keyboard. The build quality on the S2 is very good. I have the newer screen S2 as well.
    05-26-10 02:36 PM
    S3 will not be out pretty soon. Unless by soon you mean November/December.

The clam shell and slider have already had pictures and spec leaked and RIM has not even announced release dates yet. And I would not expect them to come any sooner than 3rd quarter (July-Sep). There has not been the first picture or trustworthy leak regarding the S3. I've actually heard that the S3 RIM was working on was scrapped more than a year ago because of parts limitations and they had to restart the whole proces.
    05-26-10 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD