Hey..my friend's Storm, when doing a Desktop Mgr backup, it works fine and quick all the way through the first part, no "Error backing up" messages. But when it gets to the second part called "Backing up on-board device memory", it inches along over a few minutes until it gets about 3/4 of the way in the progress bar, and then basically never finishes. Even 20 minutes later, it is still there, no errors, nothing...just hangs. If you hit cancel, nothing happens and you have to end the task in Task Manager.

What is going on here? To rememdy it, we tried doing the advanced backup and de-selecting any database with over like 80 entries in it as to avoid backing up any too-large databases. Same thing still happens. The first part where it is doing the main database backing up goes perfect, but that second part always inches along for a good while and finally just stays in one spot forever. When I do my Storm's backup, that part is like instant every time.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    02-19-09 12:58 PM
    I had the same problem a while back. I believe the way I fixed it was to go into Advance and back up each database one by one. I originally tried this to figure out what was going on, but I went through each one with it having a problem. Since then it has worked perfectly every time. Hope this helps.
    02-19-09 01:10 PM
    I had this happen to me few days ago I just couldn't back it up it would error out at the end

Battery pull solved my issue. I can back up again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 01:10 PM
    all you have to do is go in to browser hit options select third from top and clear all cache and your good to go
    02-19-09 01:12 PM
    all you have to do is go in to browser hit options select third from top and clear all cache and your good to go
    Yeah but that's what fixes the "Error while backing up" issue..this is different. I'll have him try it but I highly doubt it will change anything as I had him clear the Browser DBs in Desktop Mgr earlier anyway.

Also I will tell him to pull the battery and try after reboot.

I'll report back if they don't work, maybe someone else will have a recommendation.
    02-19-09 01:15 PM
    Yeah but that's what fixes the "Error while backing up" issue..this is different. I'll have him try it but I highly doubt it will change anything as I had him clear the Browser DBs in Desktop Mgr earlier anyway.

Also I will tell him to pull the battery and try after reboot.

I'll report back if they don't work, maybe someone else will have a recommendation.
    Yeah so clearing the Browser stuff on the BB didn't help..same thing where the on-board backup hangs. He's rebooting now though.

Anyone else?
    02-19-09 01:21 PM
    No go on the battery pull either. Why is this hanging like this???? I know a lot about troubleshooting with these things but I have no answer for this and we do not want to do a clean wipe/install and new backup because he has wayy too many contacts and stuff to lose. If there's any way there is a workaround for this and it is not due to corruption, I'd rather go that route.
    02-19-09 01:42 PM
    Have you tried what I suggested earlier, Backup each database individually and see if it still has the problem. I know it sounds weird as to why this would work but I think it worth a try before doing a wipe.
    02-19-09 01:48 PM
    We got it...it was either turning off the Mass Media Mode in options first that worked..or it was backing everything up first BESIDES the on-board database and then doing it separate. I think it was because we turned off Mass Storage mode though.
    02-19-09 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD