time and time again, i have trouble when the backup hits the "on-board device memory" zone. i see there is an option to turn off this backup. my question is, is it even necessary to backup this memory? can someone please explain. thanks
    12-16-08 04:08 PM
    time and time again, i have trouble when the backup hits the "on-board device memory" zone. i see there is an option to turn off this backup. my question is, is it even necessary to backup this memory? can someone please explain. thanks
    Does it not finish the backup? IMO, yes you need to back this up.
    12-16-08 04:36 PM
    My backup stops at backing up on-board device memory and never finishes. Any suggestions?
    12-17-08 03:47 PM
    Clear the browser cache.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 03:48 PM
    Pull the battery

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 04:05 PM
    curious where you even have the option to backup the on board memory I don't believe I have that option
    12-17-08 04:41 PM
    in DM hit backup, then instead of clickign backup, there is a button for "options"
    12-19-08 08:56 AM
    Does it not finish the backup? IMO, yes you need to back this up.
    i have not yet let it finish the backup due to my patience levels, but i have let it sit for ten minutes or so, and it is just stuck on "backing up on board device memory".

i know this is not right because with my curve, it went very quickly.
    12-19-08 08:59 AM
    Hey....did you ever figure this out?? Mine always lags on the on-board device memory, than finally quits due to an error. Have cleared cache, run memory cleaner, and re-installed DM.....

Much Appreciated!!!!
    01-02-09 02:54 PM
    Not to pile on, but I'm seeing exactly the same indications. My backups via Blackberry Desktop Manager complete just fine as long as I do not check the "backup on-board device memory" option but, if checked, they fail at the very end of the process.

Has anyone figured this out yet?

Also, I have enabled the media card in my Storm and that's where I keep new ringtones, pictures, etc. What data is contained in the onboard device memory?
    01-12-09 12:12 PM
    Here is this fix!!! Turn off the Encryption for device memory in the options menu and then try it, I promise this is the issue and will now back up your device memory. It is a feature so you cant copy device memory if you are loading someone elses BB.
    01-12-09 06:21 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, dsump. I tried that (encryption was enabled for "device") and re-tried the backup with the option selected for backing up onboard device memory. I still get an "unknown error" at the very end of the backup process when the process says it is backing up onboard memory.
    01-12-09 06:44 PM
    just do an advanced backup. You can select each database individually. If one throws an error, then you can clear it here too.
    01-12-09 06:47 PM
    Consistently get "Unknown error" when Profiles Options has just completed during "Backing up databases..." on the Transfer in progress screen.

Running DM 4.7.0.25 on Win2kSP4, BB OS 4.7.0.75. Using corporate BES.

I have two previous successful backups - the last of which was just prior to installing the official .75 OS upgrade.

Have tried:
    • Batt pulls
    • Clearing browser cache via DM
    • Memory Cleaning via device options/security
    • Verified memory encryption is off
    • Tried with & without mass storage mode enabled

Ideas??
    01-13-09 02:23 PM
    I've found that a mem cleaen does the trick on this every time no matter what db the backup gets stuck on.

options > security options > memory cleaning > bb button > clean now

After which a BU has gone without a hitch for me.
    01-13-09 02:26 PM
    As stated above - tried mem clean, no dice.
    01-13-09 03:27 PM
    Someone suggested uninstall/reinstall DM. So I pulled the latest off blackberry.com, uninstalled the old, installed the new - now it's not detecting the Storm is plugged in (even though I can browse the device in mass storage mode). Device Manger lists a COM1 connection but not a USB.

This is really getting old - I've blown the last two hours of my day on this.
    01-13-09 03:30 PM
    Here is this fix!!! Turn off the Encryption for device memory in the options menu and then try it, I promise this is the issue and will now back up your device memory. It is a feature so you cant copy device memory if you are loading someone elses BB.
    Dsump gave the above recommendation, however I can't seem to find the option to turn off encryption for device memory. Any suggestions?
    01-13-09 04:29 PM

Have tried:
    • Batt pulls
    • Clearing browser cache via DM
    • Memory Cleaning via device options/security
    • Verified memory encryption is off
    • Tried with & without mass storage mode enabled

Ideas??
    I've done all that Dave316 has tried including a prior suggestion by someone else to do Advanced Options and backup only one specific database at a time. All DBs back up OK with the exception of On-board device memory. That fails every time.

I WAS able to backup the onboard device memory with the .75 release on it. Not sure why it stopped.

Desktop Manager 4.7.0.32
    Blackberry 9530 (Storm)
    v4.7.0.75 (platform 4.0.0.94
    01-14-09 08:29 AM
    OK. Fixed it. I just turned off Mass Storage Media Mode in Options/Memory and Desktop Manager now backs up the onboard device memory. I guess that's OK, but it means that I cannot use Windows Explore to viewany stored data on my 8GB SD card and need to rely on using Roxio Media Manager within Desktop Manager to manage that media. That Roxio application stinks.
    01-14-09 08:37 AM
    OK. Fixed it. I just turned off Mass Storage Media Mode in Options/Memory and Desktop Manager now backs up the onboard device memory. I guess that's OK, but it means that I cannot use Windows Explore to viewany stored data on my 8GB SD card and need to rely on using Roxio Media Manager within Desktop Manager to manage that media. That Roxio application stinks.
    I can confirm this works.

I was having the same issue and disabling the mass media mode did the trick.

dnew, you can re-enable it and just reconnect your device and still use it for Mass Media. Backup takes all of 2 minutes.
    01-20-09 08:07 PM
    What is the on-board device memory exactly? Im having the same issue and im trying to determine if i necessarily need it.
    01-27-09 04:27 PM
    I can confirm this works.

I was having the same issue and disabling the mass media mode did the trick.

dnew, you can re-enable it and just reconnect your device and still use it for Mass Media. Backup takes all of 2 minutes.
    I just tried this and it worked for me too. However, what I don't understand is that it used to back up with mass memory mode ON. All of a sudden it has stopped doing so. Just don't understand what happened.
    03-13-09 09:41 AM
    OK. Fixed it. I just turned off Mass Storage Media Mode in Options/Memory and Desktop Manager now backs up the onboard device memory.
    dnew, thank you, this worked perfectly for me and circumvented the "unknown error" during the last stage of backup. you rock!
    03-25-09 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD