That is the reason there is no wifi (no room for wifi with all the other chips in the hardware. You see other blackberries like the bold and the 8900 only have a gsm radio and no accerlemetor so they can have wifi. But the storm has both a cdma radio and a gsm radio plus an accerlometer to deal with.

I also think that the Accelerometer is the reason why the phone lags because of all the software and drivers that take up so much memory, you see unlike most phones that have an Accelerometer, the storm is almost the only one that rotates for everything except when the phone is being used. (Iphone locks it accerlometer for pretty much everything except web pages and pictures, and even that lags sometimes.) This requires software and big drivers that take up alot of the phone memory and cause it too lag.(that is why there is never more than 56 mb of free memory, while the 8900 has 100 freed up out the box) I think rim already realizes this and has taken steps to improve the memory in some of these beta releases, but I think locking it except for web pages and picswould be the best route

I aint no engineer nor am I a computer geek, but I can betcha a bag of m&ms, that that is the cause of most of our problems with the storm
    Last edited by holladay42; 03-03-09 at 11:55 AM. Reason: pics
    03-03-09 09:02 AM
    I bet that's not it. Id say it has more to do with Verizon, do you think its coincidence that none of the verizons blackberrys have wifi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 09:09 AM
    That is the reason there is no wifi (no room for wifi with all the other chips in the hardware. You see other blackberries like the bold and the 8900 only have a gsm radio and no accerlemetor so they can have wifi. But the storm has both a cdma radio and a gsm radio plus an accerlometer to deal with.

I also think that the Accelerometer is the reason why the phone lags because of all the software and drivers that take up so much memory, you see unlike most phones that have an Accelerometer, the storm is almost the only one that rotates for everything except when the phone is being used. (Iphone locks it accerlometer for pretty much everything except web pages and pictures, and even that lags sometimes.) This requires software and big drivers that take up alot of the phone memory and cause it too lag. I think rim already realizes this and has taken steps to improve the memory in some of these beta releases, but I think locking it except for web pages and picswould be the best route

I aint no engineer nor am I a computer geek, but I can betcha a bag of m&ms, that that is the cause of most of our problems with the storm
    So you're not the first to show concern over the accelerometer. I can't remember if it was the PhoneWreck guys or some other folks, but there has been concern over the fact the the Storm has a single processor and it is asked to do A LOT. Perhaps a design with dual processors would have been called for, but then you're really talking about a real estate crunch.

As for locking the accelerometer, I'm against it in many applications. I would hate to be locked out when typing anything. I almost exclusively use the landscape QWERTY keyboard. Not only that, but the Storm continues to improve in speed as these new betas have leaked. It's just a matter of scheduling the right work load for that lonely processor.

As for wifi, I thought more than one source has confirmed that VZW ordered the Storm with the wifi chip removed and that there are Storms in existence that could have wifi if a carrier ordered them in that way.
    03-03-09 09:17 AM

I also think that the Accelerometer is the reason why the phone lags because of all the software and drivers that take up so much memory, you see unlike most phones that have an Accelerometer, the storm is almost the only one that rotates for everything except when the phone is being used. (Iphone locks it accerlometer for pretty much everything except web pages and pictures, and even that lags sometimes.) This requires software and big drivers that take up alot of the phone memory and cause it too lag. I think rim already realizes this and has taken steps to improve the memory in some of these beta releases, but I think locking it except for web pages and picswould be the best route

Interesting thought on lag. Accelerometers are relatively new to RIM so it's reasonable that their SW is a little inefficient.

Regarding WiFi, I bet it was on VZW's request that our 9530's devoid of WiFi and I believe it has nothing to do with the accelo. I'd would be really interested to see the pics you posted and a similar breakdown of the 9520 in a side-by-side comparison. The rumor is that the 9520 will have WiFi and, of course it will have an accelo, so where will/did RIM put the Wifi hardware on the 9520? If the the circuit boards are different, IMO, the difference will be the cdma support will be replaced by WiFi support or something of that ilk.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was no difference between the 9530 and 9520 hardware? Just wishful thinking!

FYI. I am an engineer and my inner circle of friends call me a computer geek all the time. But, I don't claim to know anything about the Storm's design.
    03-03-09 09:43 AM
    If this is the case then how do you explain the 9520? It has Wifi doesn't it? All though you can only get it Canada that I am aware of. Maybe they ommitted something in the 9520 to fit it in.
    03-03-09 09:43 AM
    If this is the case then how do you explain the 9520? It has Wifi doesn't it? All though you can only get it Canada that I am aware of. Maybe they ommitted something in the 9520 to fit it in.
    Yeah no kidding. I guess they took the accelerometer out of the 9520 then huh?
    03-03-09 09:45 AM
    the 9520 is only gsm not cdma/gsm so thats probably were they gained the space. im on telus and there is no wifi so its not just a verizon thing
    03-03-09 09:50 AM
    the 9520 is only gsm not cdma/gsm so thats probably were they gained the space. im on telus and there is no wifi so its not just a verizon thing
    The jury is still out on that one because no one's been able to rip appart a 9520 and see if it is the same. We'll see when they come out what it is. Currently we already know both the 9500 and 9530 are identical.
    03-03-09 09:53 AM
    Maybe it will make the portrait to landscape work faster. lol
    03-03-09 09:54 AM
    I bet that's not it. Id say it has more to do with Verizon, do you think its coincidence that none of the verizons blackberrys have wifi?

yeah and the coincedence is that I believe all of the verizon blackberries, have both cdma and gsm radios which as you can see on the first picture, take up alot of space the motherboard (gsm rf transmitters and sim connectors and power amps ).

At first I was sure that controll freak verizon was just tryng to control us and make us use there network only, but then I thought, what sense does that make, wouldnt they want there phone users to use wifi and take aload off there network, and lower bandwidth.

Then I thought if you look at all verizon's other newew pda smartphones (which require a $30 data plan just like the blackberrys) , they have wifi, the samsung saga, htc pro, Samsung SCH-i760 and the like all have wifi but dont have both gsm and cdma chips in them. The reason is because verizon blackberries all have gsm and cdma capiblites and that take up alot of the phones hardware. Just look at how many power amps there are for the gsm transmiitters.

So when verizon gives there reason for not putting in wifi . maybe they're not bullsh*tting

P.S I do not work for Verizon
    Last edited by holladay42; 03-03-09 at 10:04 AM. Reason: mistake
    03-03-09 09:56 AM
    Being that the 9520 is Gsm only proves my point even more that they can put wifi with the 9520 because it doesnt have the cdma chipset taking up space.
    03-03-09 10:10 AM
    I would be against limiting the accelerometer to web pages and images. I like to sometimes type with the wide QWERTY keyboard you get in landscape mode (tho with .109 the portrait qwerty isn't too bad).
    03-03-09 11:06 AM
    Interesting initial theory, but probably not accurate. My take is:

Looking at the oft published photos, you will note a large bare area on the board which is sufficient for a wifi subsystem. Except for it being located under the processor. That spot probably being bare for mechanical, thermal, and signal (processor to other component) noise reasons.

Mechanical because it is near where the speaker couples to the board and there are physical mounting issues.

Thermal because putting a device which will generate heat under the processor is a bad idea. Among other things, getting the processor warm will mean that it will need to run at a slower speed.

Signal noise problems because there will undoubtedly be some undesirable coupling between the wifi rf circuitry and the processor traces. Which again affects the speed of the processor.

So the best bet is that RIM/Verizon took a look at the laundry list of features desired and dropped those not needed for an introductory device.
    03-03-09 11:27 AM
    So the accelo is a chip?

03-03-09 11:43 AM
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but then why can the iphone fit everything? Its much slimmer, has gps, wifi, and accelerometer...

03-03-09 11:52 AM
    Interesting initial theory, but probably not accurate. My take is:

Looking at the oft published photos, you will note a large bare area on the board which is sufficient for a wifi subsystem. Except for it being located under the processor. That spot probably being bare for mechanical, thermal, and signal (processor to other component) noise reasons.

Mechanical because it is near where the speaker couples to the board and there are physical mounting issues.

Thermal because putting a device which will generate heat under the processor is a bad idea. Among other things, getting the processor warm will mean that it will need to run at a slower speed.

Signal noise problems because there will undoubtedly be some undesirable coupling between the wifi rf circuitry and the processor traces. Which again affects the speed of the processor.

So the best bet is that RIM/Verizon took a look at the laundry list of features desired and dropped those not needed for an introductory device.
    I dont think you can just look at the board and try to fit it somewhere, Theres only so much a motherboard and cpu can take.
    03-03-09 11:57 AM
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but then why can the iphone fit everything? Its much slimmer, has gps, wifi, and accelerometer...

An Iphone does not have cdma and gsm radios and transrecievers. It only has gsm. How many times do I have to say this. In the first picture you can clearly see how much the cdma transrecievers, poweramps take up not to mention ones for gsm too, the iphone only has gsm.
    03-03-09 12:00 PM

also the iphone has a built in battery and that i belive saves about 35% of the space a removable batter takes up.
    03-03-09 12:19 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a single CDMA Blackberry that has WiFi? I am pretty sure the answer is no.
    03-03-09 01:22 PM
    also the iphone has a built in battery and that i belive saves about 35% of the space a removable batter takes up.
    Yeah but, isnt that a big reason people dont like the iPhone? bc it doesnt have removable battery?
    03-03-09 01:33 PM
    Being that the 9520 is Gsm only proves my point even more that they can put wifi with the 9520 because it doesnt have the cdma chipset taking up space.
    Like I said before, the jury is still out on that one. I'll reserve judgement about the 9520 not having CDMA in it until I see it. It would seem silly for RIM to die two different motherboard layouts when 1 could be used across the 95xx platform, just like they are doing now between the 9500/9530. I'll wait until I can put my hands on a 9520 before I say it's different inside and out. The current Qualcomm chipset being used has full wifi and quadband radio control capabilities as it sits today. If I had to put money on it, I'd wager all 3 Storm models are the same hardware wise and low level firmware is what's controlling which radios and bands are supported by each model, but that's just me. Unlike previous BBs, the 9500 is unique in it's radio band support mainly due to it's new Qualcomm chipset that was never before used on a Blackberry.
    03-03-09 02:43 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a single CDMA Blackberry that has WiFi? I am pretty sure the answer is no.
    The current answer today is now. Rumor had it the Niagra was going to have it, but as of last week BGR is going back on that one. I'm optimistic their info is incorrect.
    03-03-09 02:45 PM
    I still can't believe the qualcomm chipset doesn't support more than one audio channel though. Would that also involve more space on the mobo?

03-03-09 02:47 PM
    I still can't believe the qualcomm chipset doesn't support more than one audio channel though. Would that also involve more space on the mobo?

This very well could be due to a Blackberry OS limitation. I highly doubt the chipset itself isn't capable of it in this day and time. We all know driver support for java platforms on chipsets is pretty much non-existant. Why do you think video acceleration sucks on the Storm so much as it does now. I don't think RIM is using the chipset acceleration optimally with their OS.
    03-03-09 02:52 PM

I also think that the Accelerometer is the reason why the phone lags because of all the software and drivers that take up so much memory, you see unlike most phones that have an Accelerometer, the storm is almost the only one that rotates for everything except when the phone is being used. (Iphone locks it accerlometer for pretty much everything except web pages and pictures, and even that lags sometimes.) This requires software and big drivers that take up alot of the phone memory and cause it too lag.(that is why there is never more than 56 mb of free memory, while the 8900 has 100 freed up out the box) I think rim already realizes this and has taken steps to improve the memory in some of these beta releases, but I think locking it except for web pages and picswould be the best route

Thats not the case. Very early builds had everything for test purposes.

The reason the Jav has more free memory has nothing to do with there being lag, or more software, or "drivers". The Jav has 256megs of built in app memory, to the Storms 128.
    03-03-09 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD