Hi there

So, for those who don't know, some really fine folk from the forums have set themselves upon programming a nice Long/Lat GeoCaching type of app. I tried to get it running on my Storm to no avail. But after only 2 days of chatting back and forth, they have it up and running for us Storm folk and it is very cool.

I went out today and "tested" 3 Caches and whaddya know, it worked like a champ.

This is a prime example of using forums to their upmost ability. Check it out. It's really a cool app.

It's Here
    12-09-08 04:23 PM
    Hi there

So, for those who don't know, some really fine folk from the forums have set themselves upon programming a nice Long/Lat GeoCaching type of app. I tried to get it running on my Storm to no avail. But after only 2 days of chatting back and forth, they have it up and running for us Storm folk and it is very cool.

I went out today and "tested" 3 Caches and whaddya know, it worked like a champ.

This is a prime example of using forums to their upmost ability. Check it out. It's really a cool app.

It's Here
    Sweet!! I saw something like this on Bay Area Backroads but GPS wasn't a part of the program. That makes it even better!!!
    12-09-08 05:02 PM
    How do You load caches into black star??
    12-17-08 09:54 AM
    What is this program for

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 10:13 AM
    How do You load caches into black star??
    You can import either GPX or LOC files from geocaching.com. Just put the file on your sd card and import from either the List Waypoints screen or the New Waypoint screen. Keep gpx files to approx 20 caches at a time.
    12-18-08 10:36 PM
    What is this program for

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It has many, many uses. I primarily use it for geocaching. But the functionality is not limited to that. Others use it for hiking, boating, flying, hunting. I will even use it for navigating to my kids' basketball away games. it does not give turn by turn directions, just a bearing arrow pointing to the destination.

It basically functions as a handheld GPS unit. It will display lat/lon, has a compass face. You can enter waypoints and set a destination and it will show a bearing arrow pointing to destination with a distance and speed displayed.
    12-18-08 10:43 PM
    Tell them congratulations from me! I'm downloading it and going to try it out in the morning. I was hoping someone would come out with a good app for geocaching. Now if just Google can get their maps properly ported for the Storm we'll really be in business.
    12-18-08 10:57 PM
    You can import either GPX or LOC files from geocaching.com. Just put the file on your sd card and import from either the List Waypoints screen or the New Waypoint screen. Keep gpx files to approx 20 caches at a time.
    I hope someone can help me out. I have the Curve 8310 and isntalled BackStart last night. Works great, but I am unable to rename the .aspx file extension during or after the waypoint download from geocaching.com on my Curve. The BB does not show the file extension at all during download process. And after I download the file and try to rename it to .loc, it will show the file extension but not allow it to be changed. Instead, I had to connect my BB to my PC and edit the file extension via PC. I would like to be able to make the file extension change on my BB without PC use. Thanks. Any thoughts?
    12-19-08 02:29 PM
    I hope someone can help me out. I have the Curve 8310 and isntalled BackStart last night. Works great, but I am unable to rename the .aspx file extension during or after the waypoint download from geocaching.com on my Curve. The BB does not show the file extension at all during download process. And after I download the file and try to rename it to .loc, it will show the file extension but not allow it to be changed. Instead, I had to connect my BB to my PC and edit the file extension via PC. I would like to be able to make the file extension change on my BB without PC use. Thanks. Any thoughts?
    Which version of the BB OS are you using? I was not able to change file extensions in 4.2, but when I upgraded to 4.5 I was able to.
    12-21-08 05:47 PM
    I just realised while out in the field, that BlackStar does not work on my storm on .141

I wonder if they know about this...

Says that my device is not gps enabled
    Last edited by mbvdlza; 05-10-09 at 05:24 AM.
    05-09-09 03:32 PM
    I'm running a .141/5.0 Hybrid and the GPS locks in very quickly.
    Looking forward to testing it out in the field!
    05-09-09 04:01 PM
    I am new to "geocacheing". I downloaded Black Star for an upcoming hiking trip in CO next week. I like the compass but was wondering what I can do with this app on my trip other than just use for a compass. Any help from hikers out there?
    07-04-09 10:02 AM
    Have been using Blackstar for geocaching in conjunction with Geocaching.com. The program works great on the storm. I got a premium membership at Geocaching too and being able to download the gpx files to the phone is a big help.

Blackstar has its own website: Blackstar Navigation - A free geocaching hiking and navigational utility for BlackBerry devices
    07-04-09 11:59 AM
    This sounds like something I can use for my campouts. But is it true that this app does not work on Storm?
    07-04-09 05:45 PM
    Quick update. The old link for BackStar does not work. You can try this one instead....
    http://blackstarnavigation.com/ota

Running the app now and it is still trying to find satellites. Is it not working indoors?
    07-04-09 05:59 PM
    More update on BlackStar. I have to go outside the building for it to find the satellite. It displayed the latitude and longitude which is nice. But the compass will not rotate when I turned around which is not good at all.

Pardon me but I just cannot see how this app can benefit me on my camping and backpacking trips. Perhaps someone can give me some pointers on this. Or I might just stick with the old-fashioned orienteering instead.
    07-04-09 07:07 PM
    Substring-
    Blackstar works on the Storm, I've been using it on mine since March. I use it to geocache and it works without a hitch.
    Yes you have to go outside or at least be near a window. Basically it needs a line of sight to the sky (seems to work well under a tree canopy though). Also, on the Storm it take about 30 seconds to obtain a satellite fix.
    The compass is not a true magnetic compass so it won't rotate just as you turn around in one spot. It is a GPS compass which means you have to be moving. GPS works by the satellites tracking you. If you stand in one spot, it has no idea which direction you are facing. As you move it tracks relative to where you just were.
    Hope this helps.

PD
    07-04-09 07:30 PM
    Thanks for the detailed explanation patroldog. I will be going to a week-long Summer Camp in a couple weeks. I will definitely test it out and see how good it is.

Thanks again!
    07-05-09 08:41 PM
    I used it the other day on my bike and it worked great. I also added a waypoint at my house and that worked well too....tells you how far away from the waypoint you are and an arrow points you to your waypoint.

The only thing I'm unsure about is geocaching and downloading things to use...a bit confusing to me. Any help?
    07-07-09 08:46 AM
    I used it the other day on my bike and it worked great. I also added a waypoint at my house and that worked well too....tells you how far away from the waypoint you are and an arrow points you to your waypoint.

The only thing I'm unsure about is geocaching and downloading things to use...a bit confusing to me. Any help?
    Check out the shiny new wiki: BlackStar It contains information on how to import caches.
    07-07-09 11:32 AM
    Great free app from what I have read. I downloaded a loc file from geocaching.com to test out today. My first hunt is actually a couple of minutes away from me on a corner! Going to walk the dog now and try and find it. If the premium membership is worth it then I will use the gpx files for more info. Is there a mobile geocaching.com site that works better on our blackberry storm browsers so we don't need the gpx file?
    07-07-09 03:40 PM
    Thanks for the recommendations. BlackStar works great. I just installed it today. I set up a free Basic Member account on Geocaching.com. I then downloaded a LOC file for a Virtual Cache near my house to my PC. Then I used RDM+ to copy the file to my SD Card, clicked on Add Waypoint in BlackStar and then just opened the file on my SD Card.

There appears to be much more sophisticated apps (as in $$$) for importing/exporting Cache files and in a format that contains more info than an LOC file but I'm going to play with it this way for a while and see if I like GeoCaching.

I did use BlackStar in my car just to see what the GPS said on the speed readout. Pretty accurate I must say. At 40mph indicated on the speedo Blackstar showed 39.73mph. At 45 mph on speedo BlackStar showed 44.76mph.

Sweet.
    08-01-09 08:50 PM
    Has anyone tried BlackStar when you're out of cell phone range? I'm guessing BlackStar is still supposed to work without a cell phone signal, getting its data from GPS - is this correct?

And here's the other question: Has anyone tried BlackStar on Verizon? It works great on my Storm under Verizon, until I get out of cell phone range. Then it can't get a GPS signal.

I'd appreciate hearing from as many people as possible so I can get an idea under what conditions BlackStar works and does not work. If possible, please mention which BlackBerry and which carrier you use. Thanks!
    08-01-09 08:58 PM
    Your assumption is correct, true GPS programs should work even without a Verizon signal. What will not work will probably be getting a connection to bcache.com or geocache.com because your data transfers won't work without the 1XEV (3G) signal.

I have trouble getting "out of Verizon range" LOL ... but it should not be relying on cell coverage for signal. BlackStar strictly uses satellite triangulation for GPS location. Make sure you have all your GPS settings turned on including "allow GPS Location". Make sure you are outside and have an unrestricted view of the sky to get connected. My first use of this app, I walked out into my yard and it was very overcast, just stopped raining, acquired satellite and my coordinates in less than 15 seconds. I then walked around my yard and it tracked my coordinates, the compass spun as I changed direction and it logged my walking speed. Very nice app IMHO. You have to be moving to get a compass reading, spinning in place will NOT change the compass heading as GPS only knows which direction you are going in when your physical location actually changes.
    08-01-09 10:24 PM
    ... but it should not be relying on cell coverage for signal. BlackStar strictly uses satellite triangulation for GPS location...
    Technically, BlackStar uses the "least restrictive location provider" for the phone/carrier/gps chipset. So it does not control whether it uses GPS or AGPS.

Some phones/carrier/chipsets will not support standalone GPS so they will not work outside of cell coverage.
    08-03-09 08:19 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD