I cannot get my Storm to work. It just died. I don't know what it is. The red light will not show and more and I had it working once in USB mode but hasn't done it again. Just died while sitting idle.

I mucked with. Pressing buttons (may have removed the battery) and the PC found it, red light was on and the white screen appeared with the battery and a lightning symbol. I was impatient and had to disconnect the thing, plugged it back in... nothing. Won't do it again, left it on charge over night (5hrs?) and a few hours via USB but still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? I bought a new battery off eBay which will be here in a few days but until then I'd like to get it going.

I have tested the battery with a multimeter. Here is a pic of what the result was. The red means those 2 contacts together etc. Same for the others. The contact next to the neutral doesn't show any volts when combined with other contacts.
    05-26-09 03:08 AM
    Try this. Pull out the battery. Then plug the phone into a wall charger. Press and hold the power button or press it x couple times until the red led comes on. At the white screen with the battery quickly replace you battery and see if it will boot fully. If it does leave it to charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 03:25 AM
    No red led comes on.. Any other idea?
    05-26-09 03:31 AM
    Yeah, that doesn't seem to be the problem. Its not charging anywhere. My friend was rubbing then terminals of both the battery and the phone and it came on for a little last week'ish but still nothing.
    05-26-09 04:27 AM
    so just to verify...are you trying with a wall charger?
    05-26-09 08:41 AM
    the PC found it, red light was on and the white screen appeared with the battery and a lightning symbol. I was impatient and had to disconnect the thing
    Clearly your phone works, just use the wall charger and charge it for an entire day.
    05-26-09 09:22 AM
    Tried. I removed the battery for around 18 hrs put it back in the phone and the red light came on again. PC found it but after 10 secs the light went out again and wont come back on. Any ideas?
    05-27-09 01:23 AM
    Take the phone (with the bad battery) back to where you bought it. They should replace the battery for free.

Grey
    05-27-09 07:59 AM
    Tried. I removed the battery for around 18 hrs put it back in the phone and the red light came on again. PC found it but after 10 secs the light went out again and wont come back on. Any ideas?
    Huh? Leave the battery in the phone, charge the phone from the wall charger. The battery might be bad, but you can't know for sure. Everything you have tried so far does not prove that the battery is bad. However, if the battery does not charge after a day attached to the wall charger, then the battery is probably bad.
    05-27-09 09:40 AM
    This has happened to me at least twice. It's the phone. When you let your phone die, sometimes the battery will not recognise the charger. Pull the battery and wait a little while. Put it back in and plug it in to a USB computer and let it trickle charge. It will take a while but it should charge. That has been the only way I have ever been able to get back to an operational phone. Wall chargers will not charge them when you have reached this point. IMO. Your results may vary
    05-27-09 11:32 AM
    Are you sure the phone isnt bricked?
    05-27-09 11:35 AM
    This has happened to me at least twice. It's the phone. When you let your phone die, sometimes the battery will not recognise the charger. Pull the battery and wait a little while. Put it back in and plug it in to a USB computer and let it trickle charge. It will take a while but it should charge. That has been the only way I have ever been able to get back to an operational phone. Wall chargers will not charge them when you have reached this point. IMO. Your results may vary
    THANK YOU! I had the same issue as described above, and after reading your post I did what you said and now it turns on completely! Is there any way to get it replaced with this issue or better just to wait for Tour/Storm 2?
    05-31-09 03:20 AM
    THANK YOU! I had the same issue as described above, and after reading your post I did what you said and now it turns on completely! Is there any way to get it replaced with this issue or better just to wait for Tour/Storm 2?
    Just charge the Battery more often and this shouldn't happen
    05-31-09 06:08 AM
    I was upgrading to aps on my Verizon storm and Poof! It just continuously boots up. It keeps showing the little clock as though it is initializing and then it shuts down then it start the process all over again. I like my phon but this is ridiculous!
    06-21-09 12:55 AM
    dtimotrini:
    Today, my Storm started doing the same thing. Trying to start over and over, no lights. I was just wondering if you figured out what the problem was and got it fixed before I call verizon. Thanks for any help.
    06-27-09 09:45 AM
    Thank you citi for your advice about plugging the Storm into your computer USB so the charge can trickle back into the battery instead of using the wall charger.

My Storm had a full charge and was off but in the morning it wouldn't turn on. When I went to charge it by the wall charger I just got the battery with a lightning bolt icon. Thanks to the forum and citi I recharged it on my laptop. Although once it was fully charged again I still couldn't access my Email, Text and Voice Mail. I took the battery out then put it back in and this allowed my Storm to reboot itself and then it worked fine.
    08-14-10 01:41 PM
    I cannot get my Storm to work. It just died. I don't know what it is. The red light will not show and more and I had it working once in USB mode but hasn't done it again. Just died while sitting idle.

I mucked with. Pressing buttons (may have removed the battery) and the PC found it, red light was on and the white screen appeared with the battery and a lightning symbol. I was impatient and had to disconnect the thing, plugged it back in... nothing. Won't do it again, left it on charge over night (5hrs?) and a few hours via USB but still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? I bought a new battery off eBay which will be here in a few days but until then I'd like to get it going.

I have tested the battery with a multimeter. Here is a pic of what the result was. The red means those 2 contacts together etc. Same for the others. The contact next to the neutral doesn't show any volts when combined with other contacts.
    POSSIBLE REAL SOLUTION:

PROBLEM:

I was having a similar issue where my blackberry storm wasn't charging properly. At first it would show that it was charging but would eventually "charge itself to death" overnight. I would have to watch it to make sure that when the battery was fully charged, I disconnected the phone. Otherwise the battery would drain itself while plugged in. (on either wall charger, usb).

Then I started to have the problem where it would charge and then intermittently stop charging. If I pulled the cord and reinserted it, it would start again. It became so bad that the battery would not receive any charge at all.

I suspected it might be a virus on my blackberry, so on a borrowed battery, I wiped the phone and the SD card, but it was still not good. I then suspected that it might be a bad battery (even though it could hold a full charge) and replaced it to no avail.

I left the phone for a month but the old loaner I was using was giving me problems and I didn't want to have to buy a new one. So finally I decided to ignore all of the useless advice on the forums (some of it ridiculous) and analyze what the problem could be. I knew that the phone was getting power because the red light would come on (even if for just a few seconds). The pins looked ok and the battery connections were clean, but I knew this had to be a hardware issue and that the battery was good (because it was new and worked until my phone killed it) ...

I already knew that these phones had a problem where the screws were overtightened at the factory (causing the loose screen click problem), so I went to Youtube to learn how to take it apart and did so. What I was thinking was that perhaps the spring mechanism that keeps the battery leads pressed against the battery was faulty and not making contact with the phone's circuitry. I thought I might be able to pull it apart, but unfortunately this spring mechanism is sealed and not serviceable so I gave up and put it together but without replacing the two center screws on either side of the battery.

(SOLUTION)...

Miraculously this fixed the problem because the phone started to charge properly. What I think was happening was that the screws were tight enough that they were compressing on the spring mechanism and not letting the internal springs move freely. Alternately it might have been that dust collected in the mechanism and was preventing good contact and by having tapped the mechanism it dislodged the dust. Either way by taking the phone apart, tapping the spring mechanism and leaving the two center screws out you might be able to get the phone to charge again. It might not work on everyone's phone, but it did for mine.

NOTE: Charging the battery afterwards takes a bit of patience. Turn on your computer and run the latest version of Blackberry desktop before reconnecting the phone. When you plug the phone in it may show the red light briefly and shut off several times but eventually you will see a white screen with a lightning bolt. This will stay on until the battery has enough charge to boot. Then the phone will shut off and start to reboot. On your computer you should have gotten an error saying that the phone could not connect and giving you options. Choose to update. If you get an error saying that it cannot access JVM loader, wait for the phone to boot. It may reboot several times during the update procedure, but hopefully it will charge properly for you from now on.

NOTE: My Storm is unlocked, but after the update I can no longer manually choose GSM networks. I can still use At&t so I'm pretty sure it's still unlocked, but I can't choose towers anymore.
    10-11-10 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD