ok i have a blackberry storm and everytime i connect it to my laptop it just starts to charge. i have no idea how to fix this and i need to get it fixed so i can unlock my internet services and mms settings and also back my files from my old blackberry on to it. i would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me
    02-14-09 08:59 AM
    If you are running the storm 9530 (like me) I have run into this issue, first if you should use DM 4.7. I had to uninstall then reinstall DM4.7 and as it stated after the reboot in DM 4.7 make sure your BB is connected prior to the first sync. I am running WinXP Home on an iMac with Parallels so your situation may be very different from mine.
    02-14-09 09:03 AM
    Another thing to try: with your Storm connected via USB, make sure your DM is NOT evoked. When you double-click on My Computer or what, you need to see two extra "USB" drives called BLACKBERRY1 and BLACKBERRY2. You should be able to explore down into these "drives". If you cannot do these things, go to RIM or wherever and get an XP driver for your Storm.

If you can do these things, THEN try to evoke your DM. If it cannot report your PIN near the lower left, then your DM could be whacked. You could try a new copy from RIM.

Doctor Neutron
    02-14-09 09:20 AM
    what is the 'DM"
    02-14-09 09:28 AM
    i figured it out "desktop manager" but i am using windows vista
    02-14-09 09:31 AM
    DM = Desktop Manager, a software package used to help you save, build, and maintain your BB. The DM sits on your PC as an app just like IE, Word, Excel.....
    02-14-09 09:31 AM
    ok....but what if im running windows vista do i still have to get the xp driver or do i look for something like a vista driver?
    02-14-09 09:36 AM
    I am running MS Vista and I've had no issues with DM 4.7 with my Storm
    02-14-09 09:39 AM
    go to options>memory and make sure it's set up like this --> ,
    is there something in particular you're trying to do?
    with dm you can load apps and such, with the mass storage enabled, you have access to the internal memory and memory card..
    02-14-09 09:51 AM
    i am trying to back up files on the phone...also i need to download service packs so i can get my browser to work
    02-14-09 09:54 AM
    idk what i am doing wrong.....i just wiped the handheld to restore it to factory settings
    02-14-09 09:56 AM
    I'm running Vista and DM 4.7 and haven't had any problems. I have had a problem getting Rhapsody to recognize my phone though. I figured out that I have to open the media app up on my phone before plugging it in to get Rhapsody to recognize the phone.
    02-14-09 02:01 PM
    i figured it out "desktop manager" but i am using windows vista
    don't you just love Vista .Can't wait for windows 7
    02-14-09 03:00 PM
    In Vista, there are three user accounts: Administrator, Standard User, and Guest. Best, in dealing with DM issues, is to log in as an Administrator, even if this means creating such an account - this is NOT the same as right-clicking on the DM icon and choosing "Run as Administrator" from a Standard User account. Are we CLEAR on this ? Don't you just love Vista ! Anyhow, good luck.

And yes, if you are running Vista, your Storm or other BB needs Vista drivers, not XP drivers. (If you are hazy on this point, try to find somebody under 20 years old that wears tennis shoes only and hangs out around computers a lot.)

Doctor Neutron
    02-14-09 03:23 PM
    ok i have a blackberry storm and everytime i connect it to my laptop it just starts to charge. i have no idea how to fix this and i need to get it fixed so i can unlock my internet services and mms settings and also back my files from my old blackberry on to it. i would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me
    I'm running Vista as well and have from time to time the same problem. See if this works...
    -Start Task Manager
    -Go to Processes
    -End Process: BlackBerry Device Manager, BlackBerry Desktop Manager, RIM Auto Update and RIM Handheld Communications Manager (if any is running)
    Some times these processes run in the background and will not let you sync with the device. Let us know if it worked.
    02-14-09 05:21 PM
    did not work

it just shows a clock when a connect it to my laptop...
    02-14-09 11:14 PM
    I have vista too. The only problem I had was that my DM disc was giving me read errors. I downloaded the DM 4.7 with media manager from BB's site. Works for me. I installed the VZAccess software and drivers first. The only thing I noticed is that when VZAccess is using the phone, DM will kill the connection to it.
    02-15-09 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD