You can request a new one from Assurion. If you get a nice rep, you'll get a new one. Take the replacement, a water damaged phone may work now... however it will start corroding the internal components and eventually the phone will fail.
    Hey that's good news! Any telltale signs of a nice rep, or magic words to use to help ensure a new one is sent? BTW My phone worked like a champ for about 10 hours after the spill, but now it is just no good...mostly won't recognize the battery/mini usb, slow to no screen response. Ooofa.
    02-10-09 09:26 PM
    Bump fer da magic woids....
    02-11-09 02:20 AM
    Wow. Thank you so much for the rice solution. Some water got spilled on my storm and my buttons became completely unresponsive. I put my phone in a bag of rice for a day and it seems to be working perfectly for now (keeps fingers crossed)
    05-02-09 11:14 AM
    I'm freaking out...first of all...I know I'm the biggest ***** on the face of the planet, but this is my problem.

My Storm was on the kitchen table this morning next to my morning coffee, my dog ran underneath the table and spilled some of the coffee onto my phone. I have screen protectors etc. on the phone. I noticed about 3 minutes later that the phone was sitting in a pool of coffee. I pulled the phone out of the plastic case, dried it off, and the screen isn't working. I turned it off, then back on and the screen still doesn't work. It's not responsive to my touch or clicks. I noticed that there seemed to be a water spot underneath the screen.

I took the battery off, and there water indicator is still totally white. I plunged the phone into my rice bin, and it's still sitting there now. Am I completely f'd?

The kicker is...I forgot to request insurance
    05-06-09 10:56 AM
    I've heard that the rice works. I would also take a hairdryer to it on low, not too hot. Good luck!
    05-06-09 11:08 AM
    I'm not sure what planet your from but that's when we tell you to call Assurion and pay your $50 deductible to file an insurance claim. The only thing customer service will cover is warranty repairs or if your an extremely good customer we may make a deal with you. Of course everyone thinks there a good customer. By good customer I mean either having a lot of lines and paying on time every month (in excess of 5) or a long term customer (YEARS, not 2 years, thats not a long term customer) that has never been late.
    We have had 7 lines for 8 years and have never ever paid late. Should I cancel my insurance and not bother? rofl, I only kid.
    05-06-09 11:24 AM
    I'm freaking out...first of all...I know I'm the biggest ***** on the face of the planet, but this is my problem.

My Storm was on the kitchen table this morning next to my morning coffee, my dog ran underneath the table and spilled some of the coffee onto my phone. I have screen protectors etc. on the phone. I noticed about 3 minutes later that the phone was sitting in a pool of coffee. I pulled the phone out of the plastic case, dried it off, and the screen isn't working. I turned it off, then back on and the screen still doesn't work. It's not responsive to my touch or clicks. I noticed that there seemed to be a water spot underneath the screen.

I took the battery off, and there water indicator is still totally white. I plunged the phone into my rice bin, and it's still sitting there now. Am I completely f'd?

You might be screwed there is no telling right away if you are or not tho. I had recently repaired a lap top that the person knocked a cup of coffee on and I ended up taking it completely apart and rinsing it with pure isopropyl alcohol and it worked just fine.. Not sure about your phone but the same may be true. My only suggestion with the isopropyl alcohol is the more pure it is then the better, but I think the highest percentage you can buy in stores is 70%.
    05-06-09 04:33 PM
    I found my blackberry in my diaper bag earlier this evening and it looked like there was stuff under the screen. It worked for a little bit but then all the sudden I couldn't push anything to make it work at all!

Will the rice trick still work? I have it in rice now but I am worried it is too late...
    07-03-09 01:05 AM
    I dropped mine in a cup of coffee this morning. The screen seems to be working fine, but the 4 hard keys at the bottom are doing way-wackey things.

Careless me.
    08-06-09 11:16 AM

Read the entire thread. There is a lot of good info posted.
    08-06-09 12:03 PM
    i just bought my new storm last night, and this morning it fell in my toilet... thanx SO-OOO much for all the advice!! i've tried to rice trick on my other phone, and it worked both times. my storm has been in rice for over 8 hours, but i could see water residue in the camera screen. i tried dipping it in 70% alcohol two times and heated up the rice. after trying this, the water residue in the camera is already drying out! just to be safe, ima leave it in the rice for another few days, and ima heat the rice every night in the oven. i'd hate to turn it on, thinking it's working, only to have any residual water inside corrode it while i'm usin it...
    10-25-09 07:32 PM
    take out mem card dry with towl put battery, phone in rice make sure you cant see the phone and it should absorb it all leave in 24-30 hours
    10-25-09 07:41 PM
    hi,

i unfortunately managed to spill wine instead of water or coffee on my storm. I removed all the parts and let it dry for two days in the open and in rice. It turns on now and it seems like the touch screen works since I can highlight the icons and scroll but I can't click on anything or go any further than my home screen. I haven't tried the alcohol dousing thing so I didn't know if that would be an option? also I have no insurance on the phone so I was planning to do any fix jobs on my own. Any suggestions or people with similar problems? Or ideas on what part is most likely to need to be replaced? help!
    04-20-10 04:30 AM
    my friend dropped her Pearl in a glass of soda, i took everything apart and placed it in a bag of rice, i have heard of water and rice but not about soda so i gave it a try left it over nite and wallla....it worked once again....hopefully it will continue to do so but the rice trick is a life saver.....
    04-20-10 07:38 AM
    Tried the rice thing for a week.. no luck..good thing is I am due for an up grade with verizon any way and their are a couple of berrys I have had my eye on..Hubbie will take over the old pearl and my curve will get a proper burial! Not to decide which to get to replace the curve..storm2 or Bold 9650, Decisoins decisons!
    06-01-10 11:23 AM
    yup, rice trick works charms when your phone falls outta your jacket pocket when your snowboarding and it starts slidin face down the mountain
    06-10-10 07:30 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD