hi i spilled water and i meen a lot of water on my phone. i didnt really now what to do so i kinda of paniced and then fter bout 5mins i took everything out ( i died everthing right away) none of the markers are currently any color they shouldint be. buttt the screen is filled up with water, it turns on i was able to put the password in after a few tries but the buttuns are still acing real funny and i would really appreciate the advicplease it been bout 3 hours since the incident and the screen still filled up not even drained :
    02-07-09 02:53 AM
    Put that sucker (screen down possibly) in a jar full of uncooked rice and check her when you wake up, wait longer if you can. Also, pull the battery before you do.
    Last edited by thekC; 02-07-09 at 02:59 AM.
    02-07-09 02:56 AM
    thank alotttttttt
    02-07-09 03:02 AM
    i agree the rice is suppose to work wonders for this time of thing
    02-07-09 03:03 AM
    Yup, sure. Good luck, let us know what happens. Check this thread as others might have some other tips. In the meantime, you can always search this forum for that exact problem, I've seen a few of these types of threads...
    02-07-09 03:04 AM
    I dropped mine in the tub and juss did an insurance claim..my new one should be here Monday

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 03:11 AM
    I think its late now to do the rice trick. Its worth the shot tho. Or just file a claim and say you lost it cuz I doubt water damage is covered

02-07-09 05:56 AM
    water damage has been covered with my other assurion replacements...

let us know if the rice trick works, i've always been curious about that, well not curious enough to wet my storm and give it a try thou lol
    02-07-09 06:08 AM
    I'll vouch for the rice trick. I haven't used it on my Storm yet but I've used it on my wife's Iphone....twice! One time we left it in for 8 days the other just three.

To help the rice work better you should bake the rice grains at 100 degrees for 30 mins.

Good Luck!!
    BigHat
    02-07-09 07:53 AM
    It may be too late but a hairdryer may work. Take the battery out and don't turn it on until it's totally dry.
    02-07-09 08:41 AM
    J
    hi i spilled water and i meen a lot of water on my phone. i didnt really now what to do so i kinda of paniced and then fter bout 5mins i took everything out ( i died everthing right away) none of the markers are currently any color they shouldint be. buttt the screen is filled up with water, it turns on i was able to put the password in after a few tries but the buttuns are still acing real funny and i would really appreciate the advicplease it been bout 3 hours since the incident and the screen still filled up not even drained :
    At this point even if it did dry and worked you would have to worry about later down the road effects like corrosion

02-07-09 08:50 AM
    Insurance Job all the way... after all thats why we buy insurance is it not??? If your not covered by water damage get your kids to jump on it!!!! ;-)
    02-07-09 09:17 AM
    Maybe he/she doesn't have insurance. /shudders!
    02-07-09 09:39 AM
    i spilled coffee all over my storm the 2nd day i had it, pulled the battery immediately, turned it screen side down and watched it drain for about 3 hours. the screen was a little sticky underneath, but it works fine now. no issues what so ever. good luck...
    02-07-09 10:25 AM
    I have found that one of the best things you can do is to flush the phone with Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol after pulling the battery. Alcohol binds strongly with water (it is the primary component of dry gas) and will absorb the water, the evaporate away. It is faster and more reliable than rice which doesn't necessarily get everything. I agree with SWFL that corrosion can be a problem but the sooner you treat the phone the less chance there is of damage. Alcohol is regularly used to clean electronics so it will not hurt it.

I dimped a full glass of iced tea on my pld 8703e. I flushed it a couple of times with alcohol, then waited overnight. The phone was fine and I used it fo about 6 months before I got my Storm. I still run the 8703e occasionally to get at data stored there. Other than the moisture indicators turning red, the phone is fine.

Of course, you do this at your own risk. 73
    02-07-09 09:10 PM
    thanks for all the info guys/girls the screen works fine now but i am stiil drianing the water outof the screen therice thing worked reallywell got bout half of the waterout over night now i am still leaving it inthe bowl of rice till i can get as much water out as can and if it does end op not working i will file an insureence claim oh ya the lcd is starting to do that little rainbow thing where it changes colors so i ammost likely going to have to fille the claim lol
    02-07-09 10:45 PM
    Put that sucker (screen down possibly) in a jar full of uncooked rice and check her when you wake up, wait longer if you can. Also, pull the battery before you do.
    Sorry to laugh, but I heard someone saying this the other day. However they got it wrong and told the customer to cover it in Ice.

I was on the phone at the time and couldnt correct them
    02-07-09 10:55 PM
    Even if the stickers turn red. All you have todo call customer service and say you lost it. The you get a new phone

02-07-09 11:05 PM
    +1...I've done the same thing and it worked.
    02-08-09 12:59 AM
    Another option most people wont risk but it's what the pro's do is first wash it out with distilled water. The common misconception is that the H20 itself is what's damaging the circuit boards but it's actually the minerals that make contact with the circuit board and fry it. Wash it with some distilled water(water that has been acquired from steam and thus lacking any calcium and iron) and then do the rice trick to prevent any future issues. Make sure you purchase pure distilled water and not just try and make it yourself.
    02-08-09 01:07 AM
    Even if the stickers turn red. All you have todo call customer service and say you lost it. The you get a new phone

I'm not sure what planet your from but that's when we tell you to call Assurion and pay your $50 deductible to file an insurance claim. The only thing customer service will cover is warranty repairs or if your an extremely good customer we may make a deal with you. Of course everyone thinks there a good customer. By good customer I mean either having a lot of lines and paying on time every month (in excess of 5) or a long term customer (YEARS, not 2 years, thats not a long term customer) that has never been late.
    02-08-09 02:06 AM
    if you have phone insurance then file a claim $50.00 and you get a refurb phone.
    02-08-09 02:41 AM
    Hi -- just had a similar accident with my Storm (3 y.o. son knocked it into the sink while he was washing his hands and I wasn't there to keep my eye on him, it was under running water for probably less than a minute. Irony is that my new Otterbox case arrived at the door one hour later -- not water proofing but if it had been in place it would have likely reduced exposure to near nothing). I called Assurion to file a claim, but in the day or two since the accident, the device seems to have recovered all functioning -- that's two days of simply air-drying in both face down and face up positions, no rice, no alcohol wash, no hair dryer. Maybe if I'd checked these forums immediately after the accident I would have tried them all...dang it.

I have several questions now:

Is there a diagnostic tool available for owners to double check all systems/hardware?
    Would alcohol wash, distilled H20 wash, rice bed, hair dryer be of any possible benefit now?
    Absent any such interventions, how serious/likely are the long-term possibilities of corrosion and other problems?
    Does Assurion only send refurbished phones, or is there a chance I could arrange for a new one?

Thanks to all who have posted and thanks in advance to any who may have additional pointers.

-- FS
    02-09-09 12:09 PM
    Hi -- just had a similar accident with my Storm (3 y.o. son knocked it into the sink while he was washing his hands and I wasn't there to keep my eye on him, it was under running water for probably less than a minute. Irony is that my new Otterbox case arrived at the door one hour later -- not water proofing but if it had been in place it would have likely reduced exposure to near nothing). I called Assurion to file a claim, but in the day or two since the accident, the device seems to have recovered all functioning -- that's two days of simply air-drying in both face down and face up positions, no rice, no alcohol wash, no hair dryer. Maybe if I'd checked these forums immediately after the accident I would have tried them all...dang it.

I have several questions now:

Is there a diagnostic tool available for owners to double check all systems/hardware?
    Would alcohol wash, distilled H20 wash, rice bed, hair dryer be of any possible benefit now?
    Absent any such interventions, how serious/likely are the long-term possibilities of corrosion and other problems?
    Does Assurion only send refurbished phones, or is there a chance I could arrange for a new one?

Thanks to all who have posted and thanks in advance to any who may have additional pointers.

-- FS
    You can request a new one from Assurion. If you get a nice rep, you'll get a new one. Take the replacement, a water damaged phone may work now... however it will start corroding the internal components and eventually the phone will fail.
    02-09-09 05:00 PM
    I spilled water on mine in less than a week. I let it sit upside down for a while and then thoroughly dried it with a blow dryer and it has been working fine other than I can't get the camera to work which is annoying but doesn't warrant getting a new phone yet even though I have insurance. With my luck, I am bound to destroy the whole thing soon enough so I am saving my claims.

I guess I would claim its lost to be sure but I assumed the insurance(Assurion) covered accidents like water damage. Does it not?
    02-09-09 08:38 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD