I have seen plenty of threads showing you how to replace the screen due to broken or defective screen, but I haven't seen any threads giving details on versions, mismatches, etc..

The Blackberry Storm comes in 3 different model numbers, 9500, 9520, 9530. One which is plain I believe, one with WIFI, and one with GPS.

Now that you know the difference here comes the tricky part, the LCD screen has I believe only 2 different versions, and branches out to several different model numbers, mine being LCD 16693-001, LS033B3UX1 which is Version one with yellow flex cable.

I broke my LCD and had to buy a replacement and I didn't know the difference, so I bought version 2, the wrong one... Now even though my LCD was cracked it still displayed perfect with the exception of the big crack...

With the new, wrong, LCD installed I am facing this issue that I really hope is the screen and nothing else... the LCD is displaying the just lines, you cant see anything, though the phone works, when I turn the phone, the screen changes, when I press menu, I see the small section of the screen change.

I want to know that this really is only because I have the wrong LCD installed, or because there is something wrong with the phone...

Just some info, Verizon, unlocked in Canada, so no warranty....

Any advice, or similar experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
    10-12-09 08:21 PM
    No, the current Storm only comes in a 9500 and a 9530. The 9500 is the GSM version and the 9530 is the CDMA/GSM version. The 9520 is the upcoming GSM model to go side by side with the upcoming 9550 CDMA/GSM model.

Anyway, I don't know that anyone has confirmed the true difference in the two screens, except that maybe you have now. I would say that buying the correct screen will almost certainly correct your problem. And I mean it constructively when I say that next time you should see what part you are replacing before you replace it.

And how can you be unlocked and on the Verizon network in Canada?
    10-12-09 08:38 PM
    hi i too cracked my lcd on storm ..u need to check the lcd tag ..type 1 is yellow edged and the back plate which it needs has a triangle mark and the center has a knob or indent with knob in center ..(best i can describe it) while version 2 is green taggged and back metal plate is flat ..the knob on version 1 is what what allows the clicking of screen...some companies sell it with the lcd and digitizer or just the lcd ..i think u may be missing the digitizer .. try cnn.cn or ebay if u cant get the back plate just take the one off old screen ..
    Last edited by angelz9; 10-13-09 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    10-13-09 01:37 PM
    cnn.cn has both models.
    10-13-09 01:40 PM
    No, the current Storm only comes in a 9500 and a 9530. The 9500 is the GSM version and the 9530 is the CDMA/GSM version. The 9520 is the upcoming GSM model to go side by side with the upcoming 9550 CDMA/GSM model.

Anyway, I don't know that anyone has confirmed the true difference in the two screens, except that maybe you have now. I would say that buying the correct screen will almost certainly correct your problem. And I mean it constructively when I say that next time you should see what part you are replacing before you replace it.

And how can you be unlocked and on the Verizon network in Canada?
    Thank you for your reply, and you are right I might have confused the models I apologize for that. As for the screen, it's an absolute horseshoe moment, I repair phones in Halifax, Nova Scotia and a gentlemen contacted me about a problem with his screen on his blackberry storm. He broke his screen and ordered one, apparently he seems to be having the seem messed up screen issue, so yes the correct version screen is my hope to get my storm working...

As for the phone I am using on Rogers, you answered your own question, Verizon 9530 GSM/CDMA unlocked to use gsm service of any carrier...
    10-14-09 07:09 PM
    hi i too cracked my lcd on storm ..u need to check the lcd tag ..type 1 is yellow edged and the back plate which it needs has a triangle mark and the center has a knob or indent with knob in center ..(best i can describe it) while version 2 is green taggged and back metal plate is flat ..the knob on version 1 is what what allows the clicking of screen...some companies sell it with the lcd and digitizer or just the lcd ..i think u may be missing the digitizer .. try cnn.cn or ebay if u cant get the back plate just take the one off old screen ..
    Hey thanx for the reply, your advice is very helpful, its confirmation my suspicion to the problem appreciate your input
    10-14-09 07:12 PM
    cnn.cn has both models.
    cnn.cn does have it but they are a but pricey, a buddy at skystartrade.com has them for 78.50 and can have it to me for $94 shipped. also, i bought the screen from people who wont except a refund, and hes only charging me a small restocking fee so he can exchange it with me... pretty cool of him
    10-14-09 07:14 PM
    hey you guys wouldnt happen to know where i can get someone to make this game for blackberry storm do you, its addictive..

Spin The Black Circle Game
    10-14-09 07:20 PM
    Is there anyway to tell whether it is a type 1 or 2 screen on the 9530 without taking it apart?
    08-25-10 03:44 PM
    Is there anyway to tell whether it is a type 1 or 2 screen on the 9530 without taking it apart?
    Not that I know of, no. In order do properly perform your Blackberry repair you need to get the right part.

I have heard rumors having to do with country of origin for your Blackberry Storm, like if it's made in Mexico you know for sure it's one version, if not you still have to take it apart, etc.

But honestly, if you have a cracked Blackberry screen, you will have to take it apart anyway and it takes a few minutes so go ahead and disassemble your Blackberry so you know for sure and you can order the correct part.
    08-26-10 10:08 AM
    ok i think i may have gotten the wrong, lcd for my 9530 verizon storm, the phone powers on, but i am gettin no display but if i touch the screen i can hear the buttons being pressed i jus cant see anything
    12-24-10 05:01 AM
    ok i think i may have gotten the wrong, lcd for my 9530 verizon storm, the phone powers on, but i am gettin no display but if i touch the screen i can hear the buttons being pressed i jus cant see anything
    Did you compare the part numbers while you had the phone apart? If not, take it back apart and compare the part numbers.
    12-24-10 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD