Dunno if this has been posted as it's brand new for today. WSJ Talked to Jim Balsillie and a few other people at RIM about the Storm. Fun read.

BlackBerry Storm Is Off To Bit of a Bumpy Start - WSJ.com
    01-26-09 08:32 AM
    Mr. Balsillie said such scrambles -- and the subsequent software glitches that need to be fixed -- are part of the "new reality" of making complex cellphones in large volumes.
    This, right here is absolute horse ****.
    01-26-09 08:37 AM
    A Verizon Wireless spokesman declined to comment on specific sales figures for the Storm, but said the percentage of units returned is in the single digits, standard for a smart phone. "The sales and performance of the device have lived up to our expectations," he said.
    This is horse sh^t too. Especially the part about the "performance" of the device living up to verizon's expectations. If this is Verizon's idea of performance than I'm going back to AT&T.
    01-26-09 08:47 AM
    I think that Mr. Balsillie is correct...software glitches and updates are the new reality for smart phones. It's a new reality for our society. Look at a good portion of computers / electronics. Computer OS's, Game Consoles, Home Routers, etc all shipped with glitches that can been fixed with patches. A majority of the smart phones (even the i phone) has been / will be shipped with glitches that will be repaired with software updates.

However, I think think there is a difference between a software "glitch" and a software "bug". Rim has some major bugs in the OS for the storm. I do not agree that the phones should be shiped with critical bugs. When people do not know if they will be able to dial 911 when needed or make simple phone calls without it freezing / etc, this is just a bad business practice (but will likely continue...)
    01-26-09 08:50 AM
    Exactly, I can understand some small bugs. But the ones affecting the Storm are MAJOR. i.e. random reboots and resets several times a day are not "glitches". This phone makes me wish for a WinMo device. Mr. Balsillie needs to stop back dating stock options for himself and other CEO's and start getting their sh^t together over there.
    01-26-09 09:24 AM
    When you have the ability to do an OTA update, it makes them much more lenient in what they feel is ready for market, since they can fix it later.
    01-26-09 09:30 AM
    My 2nd storm was good, but now (after 30 days) I finf that I need to click 2 or 3 times in the lower left corner of the screen to get it to do anything. Im worried that if I take it back I will just end up with a refurb storm that someone else had a problem with.
    01-26-09 09:44 AM
    This is why I see RIM going the way of the ZIP drive, or the Novell NDS client. With this attitude it is no wonder that the Storm failed to deliver, it has less features and is more buggy than the iPhone was at its launch, and that was almost two years ago. RIMs BES will be a thing of the past soon, the iPhones built in OWA functionality is just as good and FREE!
    01-26-09 10:30 AM
    I think that Mr. Balsillie is correct...software glitches and updates are the new reality for smart phones. It's a new reality for our society. Look at a good portion of computers / electronics. Computer OS's, Game Consoles, Home Routers, etc all shipped with glitches that can been fixed with patches. A majority of the smart phones (even the i phone) has been / will be shipped with glitches that will be repaired with software updates.

However, I think think there is a difference between a software "glitch" and a software "bug". Rim has some major bugs in the OS for the storm. I do not agree that the phones should be shiped with critical bugs. When people do not know if they will be able to dial 911 when needed or make simple phone calls without it freezing / etc, this is just a bad business practice (but will likely continue...)
    It is only a reality if we as consumers allow it to become one. Otherwise they are just going to have to release a finished product. But since we are all of the stupid race called "humans" it probably will turn out to be the new reality.
    01-26-09 10:34 AM
    This is why I see RIM going the way of the ZIP drive, or the Novell NDS client. With this attitude it is no wonder that the Storm failed to deliver, it has less features and is more buggy than the iPhone was at its launch, and that was almost two years ago. RIMs BES will be a thing of the past soon, the iPhones built in OWA functionality is just as good and FREE!

I think what you're seeing is a transitioning for RIM. Transitions are painful and slow to deal with, but neccesary. They seem to be trying to reach out to the General Consumer and not just Businesses (Pearl Flip & Storm). I think we'll eventually see a Microsoft type business model from RIM. They'll essentially cater to general consumers but will also have a product line and service offerings that cater directly to Business users. Even though iphone has built in OWA funcitonality, you do not get the security dealing with a BES nor do you get control over the device like you do with BES. If RIM pushes forward and innovates thier product line and offering, I don't think they will have to worry about Apple. If anything I think the biggest threat is Microsoft. If you've noticed, Microsoft is slowing incorporating mobile security and push like features into Exchange 2007. If the evolution of Exchange continues and they can somehow tie the mobile aspect into Group Policy (controlling the phone)...then RIM has a problem. I don't think those rumors about Microsoft buying RIM were completly off base. We all know that when Microsoft sees something in a company that they like & can not duplicate easily, they buy it outright.

It is only a reality if we as consumers allow it to become one. Otherwise they are just going to have to release a finished product. But since we are all of the stupid race called "humans" it probably will turn out to be the new reality.
    This is true....to an extent. However, a majority of these companies are pushed by A) Stockholders (monetary reasons) & B) Consumers. Consumers are not loyal. They want the "latest and greatest" and they want it NOW! A company like RIM sees the threat of Google's Android and Apple's Iphone. I feel this quick rush to the market is almost saying "Yes, we're here and we're working on it. Don't forget about us. Don't go out and purchase a competitors product. We can do touch screens also". Rim probably doesn't want to travel down the road Palm has (almost like Sony and the PS3). Palm has been slow to respond to the innovations in the Wireless World and are only now releasing something that is truely worthwile (Palm Pre); but it may be too late.

Ironically, if RIM had taken their time with the OS, this wouldn't be a problem. To me, the Storm is great hardware wise. These software issues are easily fixable, but a pain to deal with.
    Last edited by Cerebral Assasn; 01-26-09 at 11:03 AM.
    01-26-09 10:52 AM
    RIM also likes to brag about the fact that they spent 2 years working on the Storm. LOL. I would be ashamed of spending that much time on a product that still seems half-baked at launch.
    01-26-09 10:54 AM
    As a first time BB user, I'm disappointed. The idea of the phone is fine, but between the bugs and the dust under my screen, I'm slightly pissed.

I plan to ride out this mess for as long as my phone lasts, and then never consider a Blackberry again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 11:03 AM
    I think what you're seeing is a transitioning for RIM. Transitions are painful and slow to deal with, but neccesary. They seem to be trying to reach out to the General Consumer and not just Businesses (Pearl Flip & Storm). I think we'll eventually see a Microsoft type business model from RIM. They'll essentially cater to general consumers but will also have a product line and service offerings that cater directly to Business users. Even though iphone has built in OWA funcitonality, you do not get the security dealing with a BES nor do you get control over the device like you do with BES. If RIM pushes forward and innovates thier product line and offering, I don't think they will have to worry about Apple.

Ironically, if RIM had taken their time with the OS, this wouldn't be a problem. To me, the Storm is great hardware wise. These software issues are easily fixable, but a pain to deal with.
    Sorry, the BES server has little value, have you ever had to try to justify the cost of the BES server to a CFO with an iphone that the help desk set up for them that has the same functionality?

"Your iPhone is just checking every 5 minutes for email, where the BES is going to be telling the phone that it has a new email, plus we will get our calender with the BES"
    "My calender is right here, it syncs up too, plus the GAL is here too, why didnt you guys get iPhones?"

Makes the Blackberry sound like a POS if youy ask me....
    01-26-09 11:43 AM
    That depends on your use of BES. Most corporations use BES to handle Calendar Synch / Meeting Request / Contacts. The beauty of BES is in its security and device control. If you frame it in the way you did, ofcourse there is no benefit to BES compared to the synch functionality of the iphone. However, if I want to control the applications, functionality, and usability of the device then BES is great.There are things that you can only do with BES.
    01-26-09 11:58 AM
    Sorry, the BES server has little value, have you ever had to try to justify the cost of the BES server to a CFO with an iphone that the help desk set up for them that has the same functionality?

"Your iPhone is just checking every 5 minutes for email, where the BES is going to be telling the phone that it has a new email, plus we will get our calender with the BES"
    "My calender is right here, it syncs up too, plus the GAL is here too, why didnt you guys get iPhones?"

Makes the Blackberry sound like a POS if youy ask me....
    Sorry, but I totally disagree with you line of thought. Saying that the iPhone's email ability and functionality is similar to a BackBerry with BES or even BIS is insane. It's like saying a slingshot and a rocket launcher are similar in functionality.

01-26-09 12:16 PM
    As a first time BB user, I'm disappointed. The idea of the phone is fine, but between the bugs and the dust under my screen, I'm slightly pissed.

I plan to ride out this mess for as long as my phone lasts, and then never consider a Blackberry again.

This is what worries me. RIM ruining a great thing. I love the Storm and will wait it out for better times. Some consumers don't have the patience nor should they. I am sure they will not like to see this.
    01-26-09 01:14 PM
    I agree 100%, this is probably the single biggest problem with this approach if they are trying to reach consumers. Consumers are very impatient as it is, if there are any bugs or anything that can't be fixed relatively quickly they move on to other products.
    01-26-09 05:13 PM
    I agree 100%, this is probably the single biggest problem with this approach if they are trying to reach consumers. Consumers are very impatient as it is, if there are any bugs or anything that can't be fixed relatively quickly they move on to other products.
    You should try telling that to the legion of Apple fans who stuck it out with their original $600 buggy iPhone.
    01-26-09 07:03 PM
    I think you just touched on something very important here. RIM is now expecting to get the kind of rabid, mindless support of it's products that Apple enjoys. This is how the CEO can be so cavalier in saying that, "You shouldn't expect so much of us...now or in the future."

RIM has apparently forgotten that it is a business... Apple forgot that for a long time too, and if it hadn't been for Microsoft lending them a hand in the nineties, there might never have been an iPod, iMac, iPhone... etc...

So is RIM expecting a bail-out from Apple? Hmm...
    01-26-09 07:50 PM

Don't let the Storm taint your opinions about RIM and other Blackberry devices. I have been using blackberries for several years and bought the Storm. I agree, sub par for a blackberry device (which is why I no longer own), but would definately stick with the Blackberry family of other phones.
    01-26-09 07:59 PM
    ON another note, had the TV on while working this evening and they mentioned RIM's stock going down today (like everyone else's) but they happened to mention that it was related to the poor performance and less than ideal Storm rollout.

Im not sayin, Im just sayin.
    01-26-09 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD