Hi all,

Ive recieved delivery of the storm and before i go on to reviewing it a bit later im experiencing what seems to be a bit of an issue with the charging.

This is my first blackberry device and i want to check that im doing the right thing.

Firstly i have put the plug in the socket and connected the mini USB cable to it to charge and im getting a little lightning simple to represent its charging but i dont see the bars going up and when i check the battery status in options the battery percentage stays the same at 20%.

What i then did was take the battery out and put it back in again, loaded up the phone and checked the battery status and it was at 35%?

Is this normal behaviour for a blackberry or the latest operating system.

Also, i have plugged the USB data cable to my laptop to charge and its doing the exact same thing.

I'd imagine people who have the bold will know if what im experiencing is correct or not?
    11-15-08 05:35 AM
    Did you install the software?
    11-15-08 05:54 AM
    Software for the wall charger?
    11-15-08 08:30 AM
    I don't have a Storm (wish I did). On all the blackberrys I've owned, when you're charging them it doesn't show your progress while you've been charging for a short period of time. In other words, if you've been charging for 30 minutes and the battery was drained, it might still show the same percentage. Try letting it sit for several hours or over night, then check the status, once fully charged it should show or definitely when you unplug it, it will show 100% charged. Hope that helps.
    11-15-08 08:41 AM
    Depending on the theme I am using on my Curve 8330 the battery charging icon/image changes (even from app to app). Try turning the phone off during your first full charge & give it a few hours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 08:41 AM
    Anyone else find the Storm take forever to charge?
    11-15-08 09:11 AM
    Does anyone know how long it is epected tot take to get a full charge?

I have to go into work for a few hours (5) on the 21st and i'm wondering if I should leave the phone at home charging when i get it, or if I would be able to have it completely charged before I left if I brought it to work with me
    11-15-08 09:34 AM
    I know on my BBs the batter % or display was not always "real time" so keep that in mind

11-15-08 09:38 AM
    Software for the wall charger?
    LMAO! I wonder what OS the wall charger is running? Great, one more thing to have to do patches and updates to
    11-15-08 09:50 AM
    Well the STORM has a 1400mAH battery the equivalent to an extended battery, so yes it will take awhile to charge!
    11-15-08 09:54 AM
    Anyone else find the Storm take forever to charge?
    From what I've read the storm comes with a 500mAh charger and a 1500mAh battery.
    do the math:

battery capacity/charger capacity*10%

So, in this case that would be:
    1400/500=2.8*10%=3.08 which resembles about 3 hours and 10 minutes for a flat battery charge.
    11-15-08 09:59 AM
    I didn't realize the wall charger was a 500. No wonder its taking "forever" to charge up.

11-15-08 10:05 AM
    is there any reason the charger is 500mah and the battery is 1500mah?
    11-15-08 10:10 AM
    Good question cannonball. Those where my thoughts

11-15-08 10:28 AM
    Does it have to do with the new micro usb? The Motorola charger I use with my curve has an 850 output and it charges to full really quickly
    11-15-08 10:49 AM
    I think there's an incorrect comparison being made here. The charge is probably 500mA, not 500mAh. mAh is a representation of the capacity of the batter, so the Storm's 1500 mAh battery could 1mA for 1500 hours or 1500mA for one hour. A charger can't have a capacity (it's infinite). It just means that the max current from the charger is 500mA.

That doesn't answer the slow charge question, but it is related.
    11-15-08 11:19 AM
    Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying. As for the OP, call voda and see what they say about the charge time. Or email RIM

11-15-08 11:58 AM
    I think there's an incorrect comparison being made here. The charge is probably 500mA, not 500mAh. mAh is a representation of the capacity of the batter, so the Storm's 1500 mAh battery could 1mA for 1500 hours or 1500mA for one hour. A charger can't have a capacity (it's infinite). It just means that the max current from the charger is 500mA.

The output of the charger is 500mA per hour, which makes it 500mAh.
    I've got a whole bunch of chargers around here because of my RC hobby, which all state their output in mAh on the labels. What use would it be to say this charger has an output of 500mA without telling how long it will take to output that 500mA.
    mAh is a representation of capacity per hour. So, the battery can indeed do 1500mA per hour, the charger gives 500mA per hour. Hence, it is a 500mAh charger.

And now back to the topic
    11-15-08 12:28 PM
    The length of charging depends on the battery condition, BB doesn't charge the battery in full speed when the battery is nearly flat. The algorithm is to protect the battery, that's why it doesn't burn like Nokia or other devices.

The output of the charger is 500mA per hour, which makes it 500mAh.
    I've got a whole bunch of chargers around here because of my RC hobby, which all state their output in mAh on the labels. What use would it be to say this charger has an output of 500mA without telling how long it will take to output that 500mA.
    mAh is a representation of capacity per hour. So, the battery can indeed do 1500mA per hour, the charger gives 500mA per hour. Hence, it is a 500mAh charger.

And now back to the topic
    11-15-08 12:36 PM

thanks, makes more sense now!
    11-15-08 12:40 PM
    sorry to disagree, but a)batteries don't charge linearly. They accept more charge in the beginning than at the end, charging curve looks more exponential, so getting the last 5% charge takes more than the 1st 5% and b)the charger is rated in millamps, not millamp hours. The charger outputs a max of 500ma. The rate the battery accepts is dependent upon what type of battery, the age of the battery, how many times the battery has been discharged, and to what levels. Putting a 1500ma charger into this battery doesn't mean that it will charge in 1 hr, what it means is that you will probably overheat the battery and cause it damage.
    11-15-08 12:49 PM
    "It's pretty easy to estimate how long it will take. Simply divide the capacity of the battery by the charge rate of the charger, then increase the amount of time by about 20% to allow for a certain amount of inefficiency. As an example, a battery with a capacity of 1600 mAh will require about 4 hours to be fully charged by a charger with a charge rate of 500 mA. (1600 mAh/500 mA x120%). Incidentally, this example would apply to a standard AA NiMH battery and a typical "rapid charger". Keep in mind that a battery that is only partially discharged will be recharged in less time."

Battery charger calculator
    11-15-08 12:55 PM
    my 8830 took forever to charge. and if i used it while charging it wouldnt even charge...
    11-15-08 01:00 PM
    Man my 8830 charges great

11-15-08 01:05 PM
    Thanks to everyone who has responded about the length of tiem expected to charge the storm.

I thiunk I'll gamble with charging it at work
    11-15-08 01:12 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD