Hello Everyone,

I just got my Storm from Verizon a little less than 3 weeks ago and this is my first post. I've searched the forum for my particular camera issue and although I've found similarities, there was nothing that was specific to what I'm experiencing.

A different scenario occurs every time I launch the camera from the touchscreen or right convenience key. Below are the scenarios and the troubleshooting I've done so far. This happens outdoors on a clear and sunny day or indoors with good lighting.

Scenarios
    1. Launch camera from touchscreen or convenience key. The display on screen is crisp and clear. Within 10 seconds, I hear a click from the camera and the screen becomes blurry unless I hold the camera within inches of the object I'm viewing.

2. Launch camera from touchscreen or convenience key. I'm able to take one clear picture and save it. As soon as the picture is saved to my media card, I'll hear that same click from the camera and the live image on screen becomes blurry.

3. I take a picture. The screen freezes before I can save or delete it. The word "reset" comes on the screen, the screen goes completely white and the Storm reboots itself.

4. Sometimes I get lucky and I'm able to take 3-4 pictures before the screen becomes blurry. I notice that there is no clicking noise from the camera during the clear shots. The click only occurs when the camera goes from clear to blurry. I believe it's the auto focus feature.

5. When I hold down the camera button before taking a picture, the green box for the auto focus comes up. Sometimes it focuses perfectly and I can take a clear picture. Other times, it will focus and then I'll hear that camera click again and the image becomes blurry.

6. I also notice that once I hear the click and the screen becomes blurry, any button I push creates the click noise. For example, when I push the Blackberry launch button to bring up the camera options I hear a click. When I select options I hear the click. When I save changes to the camera options I hear the click. I never hear the click as long as the screen is clear and in focus.

Troubleshooting
    1. I've tried all possible camera settings. I've read in other posts to turn off the flash and image stabilization.

2. Battery pull

3. Hard reset - backed up my Storm before doing a complete wipe.

4. Upgraded my OS from 4.7.0.75 to 4.7.0.132

5. I spoke with a Verizon Blackberry tech and I was told that it's likely software, not hardware. She mentioned that Verizon is working on a firmware update that is "supposed" to be released within the next week or two.

Should I wait for the official Verizon update, download .141 or .148 or ask for a replacement? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by hbniner; 05-20-09 at 07:56 PM.
    05-20-09 07:51 PM
    my camera never clicks, and the pictures are pretty good overall and consistent. If it sounds like something physical inside the phone, I'd try to get a replacement. Doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before. If people get replacements for dust, I'd think this is a more than valid reason.

Did you try to do the same with the demo unit when you were at the shop? maybe verify that their demo unit functions differently than yours.
    05-20-09 08:43 PM
    I have a coworker that also has a Storm. I'll check his camera before going to the Verizon store. Thanks for the suggestion.
    05-21-09 02:21 AM
    I have a coworker that also has a Storm. I'll check his camera before going to the Verizon store. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I would start with a batt pull, then once the phone restarts, go to the camera, but before taking a picture change turn off stabilization. Menu / Options > Image Stabilization set to OFF. try taking a pic now and see if it acts up again... if so, there is always a leaked OS option. =)
    05-21-09 02:30 AM
    I appreciate the input. I wiped my Storm, did a reinstall of .132 and manually installed each app from Desktop Mgr. The camera has not made that clicking noise and all pictures are clear so far. I hope this lasts!
    05-22-09 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD